Kidneys! I'm a tad worried! :(

Maidz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi peeps.
I've just been on the phone to book an appointment with my diabetic nurse and the receptions mentioned I needed another blood test (even tho I had one on 1st July) all she said was that it was something to do with renal/kidneys. But didn't tell me anything else. I've had type 1 diabetes for 17 years so now I'm shi**in it! :( has anyone had any problems with their kidneys, if so please share your stories I would be very grateful x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Hi peeps.
I've just been on the phone to book an appointment with my diabetic nurse and the receptions mentioned I needed another blood test (even tho I had one on 1st July) all she said was that it was something to do with renal/kidneys. But didn't tell me anything else. I've had type 1 diabetes for 17 years so now I'm shi**in it! :( has anyone had any problems with their kidneys, if so please share your stories I would be very grateful x

I'm on the edge or the verge of having kidney problems due to an infection of the bladder that I've probably had for eighteen months or more that the stupid docs were treating as an enlarged prostate all that time ... there's nowt wrong with my prostate.
The infection is due to damaged nerves in my spine not sending signals to my bladder to fully empty hence the infection.
The infection can cause back pressure and infection of the kidneys ... so far so good it doesn't seem to have happened ... yet I keep thinking.
Neuropathic bladder it's called.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jack. Don't panic ref the neuropathic bladder I did have a greatly enlarged prostate now just fixed which had caused my bladder to double in size and the consultant suspected it would be 'dead'. I had urodynamics tests which showed it was fine and since the op everything works like new. I never had an infection despite serious retention but don't assume the worst ref the bladder and let's hope the kidneys are OK for you.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Hi Jack. Don't panic ref the neuropathic bladder I did have a greatly enlarged prostate now just fixed which had caused my bladder to double in size and the consultant suspected it would be 'dead'. I had urodynamics tests which showed it was fine and since the op everything works like new. I never had an infection despite serious retention but don't assume the worst ref the bladder and let's hope the kidneys are OK for you.
Cheers mate.

Adele99

Hi peeps.

Could be they want to check your GFR rate, also for any possible anemia etc. it doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem, your previous blood test may have just shown one of your rates has dropped and they want to check it out to see if it's come back up or not. Even if it's a bit reduced it doesn't necessarily mean there's a big problem. My kidney function or GFR rate is 54 which is classed as stage 3A CKD, but my kidneys are still filtering fine. So try not to worry meantime as until you know more , you could be worrying about nothing.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with Adele, try not to worry and see what results come back as, if it is the start of kidney problems then there are meds you can take to reduce the decline, bp medication such as Ramipril is one of them.

Maidz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went for the blood test today. I asked the nurse what it was that they had found. She said my sodium levels were low? So I'm still none the wiser as to what's going on really. But she didn't give me the impression that it was something I needed to worry about x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I went for the blood test today. I asked the nurse what it was that they had found. She said my sodium levels were low? So I'm still none the wiser as to what's going on really. But she didn't give me the impression that it was something I needed to worry about x

Well it least you know now, have they not suggested a treatment plan?

Found this that explains about low sodium levels in the blood:

http://www.webmd.boots.com/a-to-z-guides/hyponatraemia