Lack of understanding.

Bigbassett_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As this is a soap box. I just want to vent. Only been diagnosed type 2 for 3 months and I've done well. Gone from bm 18 to 5.3 to 6.5 on morning test. On metformin 2g a day. Lost stone and half. Always exercise regularly anyway.

Anyway. I'm gobsmacked at the lack of understanding out there. I work in a health care environment.

It's only little niggles. But if I'm dropping and feeling **** no I cannot just skip my meal for a bit. And I can't function right now cos I can't think how to use the computer cos I need food. Families the same..... Just carry on. One more shop. One more job to do. Nooooo I can't think. I can't do anymore. Just let me eat!!!!!!

And as for exercise. No. I cannot do a 40 mile cycle until after I've eaten. Give me a hour and I'll be with ya.

And if one more non diabetic tells me what I should or should not be doing or eating ill scream

There. Feel better now.

Reactions: Crystalwand

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Bigbassett_ Chill out there big guy:):):)
Only today, after 25 yrs in same job with same people and 27 yrs diabetic I was asked

" do you want a biscuit, oh no sorry you can't eat biscuits can you"

Yes of course I can eat biscuits I just put the **** things in my mouth and chew like everybody else.
At certain times I choose not to though. People seem to think diabetes makes me unable to make decisions.
It'll probably get worse before it gets better.

James2

Hi Bigbassett
i have had type 2 for 18 months and just got my scores into non diabetic levels
you have really turned things around so well done
vent away i have done the same , i find some very negative stereotypical reactions to type 2 so i am on the same page
we all have good days and not so good days in how we cope and manage our lifestyle , i have found this forum a great source of support and wisdom
we both know even in remission we have this for life and we all find ways to manage it
good luck and best wishes
James 2

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm finding that people WANT to push biscuits sweets and pizza on me. I just say "no thanks" and get the reply "one won't hurt you". Maybe it will, maybe it won't but I am capable of making my own decisions thanks and I've chosen not to eat carbs and 'rubbish'. I don't force my low carb diet on them so why do they feel the need to force their lack of restraint on me? Yes, some have admitted they eat their way through the tin of chocolates because they lack the will power to resist them.

Thankfully they don't feel the need to comment on my break time snack of chicken or fish .......

leahkian

I would like to say this is new but its not, people think diabetes is nothing more than they cannot eat sugar and have insulin. The only way they learn is if someone close to them has it but it appears not in your case, if i was you i would sit them down and explain how you feel when your BS is low. Then see what they have to say, we as diabetics live with it but even some consultants do not know what it feels like to have a low sugar level. I am happy that there is more information out there but its getting people to read it, i am shocked when sometimes in the past when i have been in hospital the limited knowledge that some of the nursing staff has. You would think in this day and age there would be a course where nurses had to go on just to learn the basics. There are loads of courses that they would like us to go to, is it for us to learn or to be able to tell the nurses what to do when we are in hospital.

Reactions: Bigbassett_

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You might like to ask your doctor about the Metformin dose - one thing it is supposed to do is reduce the ability of the liver to release glucose - which I think is a strange thing for a diabetic treatment to do - but you seem to be suffering low energy levels and needing to eat - maybe due to something preventing the normal release of glucose from your liver?
I stopped taking Metformin and a statin as it made me feel really ill and I am bouncing around like a two year old, doing really well on diet alone.

Robbieswan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes in the community works like this in my view. People see you like everyone else. Can you spot a diabetic person on a train?. If you are on crutches it's a fair assumption that you won't be running the hundred metres anytime soon. If you have facial birthmarks, then people look at you differently. People judge people on outward appearance, we are wired that way. We have no moral right to judge people, but we do. If someone offers you a biscuit, at that moment you are just like them. Devouring the tasty morsel with little or no concequenses. As soon as they know you are diabetic, then a different judgement book is opened. Bigoted? maybe, but I would rather go with preconceived ideas of what diabetes is.