Lack of willpower....

pearceam

Hello!

So, over the last week I've been on a wild ride of self exploration and reinvention.

After making the decision to take my health back into my own hands I realised how terrible my diet is. No, actually not my whole diet. I eat lunch and dinner very well, balanced and include fruit and veg. But I always skip breakfast (claiming intermittent fasting). I wondered other people's thoughts on this....

The main issue is snacking. Well, I don't even think it can be called snacking if it is an entire meal? Or an entire pack of biscuits?

I don't want to be another statistic that starts a new diet on a Monday and is failing by the Tuesday so I'm looking for a few inspirational ideas on where to start tomorrow.

Anyone else struggle with binge eating?

X

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I know what that is like and many people suffer or have suffered with this problem. Quite a lot of fellow people with diabetes find that a low carb high fat diet (LCHF) completely removes the problem of cravings and snacking which are caused by a carbohydrate-rich diet.. The fat in LCHF provides enough energy and satiety so you don't need to keep eating. That feels liberating.

Reactions: pearceam

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I know what that is like and many people suffer or have suffered with this problem. Quite a lot of fellow people with diabetes find that a low carb high fat diet (LCHF) completely removes the problem of cravings and snacking which are caused by a carbohydrate-rich diet.. The fat in LCHF provides enough energy and satiety so you don't need to keep eating. That feels liberating.
Yes I would agree, its also my experience that you dont get hungry between meals with low carb.

Some suggestions for low carb snacks in the meantime are

Roasted Almonds
80%+ Dark Choc (sainsbury do a pack of 5 small bars)
Lidl mini salami sticks
Cup of miso soup
Chunk of cheese

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
By the way, @pearceam, you chose the title 'Lack of willpower' which suggests that you are blaming yourself . It's what many of us do, instead of looking for the real underlying cause which is the effect of too many carbs in the diet. The addictive effect of a high-carbohydrate diet can be seen all around us in the general population. I probably haven't expressed this very well: when I faced this problem myself I got support and education from the low-carb thread on this forum and from www.dietdoctor.com

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When exactly do you snack? Perhaps skipping breakfast is having a knock-on effect?

Also, I personally find there are some foods that I'll just eat and eat even when I don't need them, so I simply don't buy them or buy a less tempting alternative eg plain biscuits instead of chocolate ones.

Perhaps,putting pressure on yourself is adding to the snacking?

I find moderate carbs are best - for control and generally sensible,eating.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
After making the decision to take my health back into my own hands I realised how terrible my diet is. No, actually not my whole diet. I eat lunch and dinner very well, balanced and include fruit and veg. But I always skip breakfast (claiming intermittent fasting). I wondered other people's thoughts on this....

Just my own thoughts but I think breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it breaks the overnight fast and provides you with the energy to get up and go for the day ahead, the only time I miss breakfast is when I'm fasting for a cholesterol check.

Plus from a type 1 perspective I find eating breakfast keeps my bg stable throughout the morning, without breakfast I experience a liver dump that is unpredictable to say the least but by eating something it shuts this mechanism off.

The main issue is snacking. Well, I don't even think it can be called snacking if it is an entire meal? Or an entire pack of biscuits?

It's a bad habit to get out of, I stopped snacking between meals when I decided to lose some weight a few years back and have never gone back, I think once you've broken that cycle your unlikely to go back, especially when you see how easier it is to control your bg levels without worrying about how much insulin you have on board.

Reactions: azure

pearceam

Just my own thoughts but I think breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it breaks the overnight fast and provides you with the energy to get up and go for the day ahead, the only time I miss breakfast is when I'm fasting for a cholesterol check.

Plus from a type 1 perspective I find eating breakfast keeps my bg stable throughout the morning, without breakfast I experience a liver dump that is unpredictable to say the least but by eating something it shuts this mechanism off.

I find this interesting as I find when I do eat breakfast I suffer with bouncy readings...

Today for example my fasting BG was 9.6 - I had 10 units of Tresiba and went straight out for a run. No food/fast acting insulin. Came back from my run and BG was 9.9. Still not had anything to eat and BG is 10. Not perfect numbers I know but really steady and I feel good for that.

My main reason for skipping breakfast (apart from laziness on work mornings) is I really struggle to eat when I have not long woken up. I just don't fancy it. Which is funny because I love food and generally have a good appetite. I tried it for the first 2/3 years after diagnosis, but it was so forced that I couldn't make a habit of it.

I really do enjoy reading about how on one hand we are all in this together and on the other we are all so unique!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm another breakfast fan :) I find eating breakfast stops a liver dump and helps control my waking rise.

Even if I have to get up early and haven't time or don't fancy a proper breakfast, I still have something small and bolus for it. I find that gives better blood sugars throughout the day :)

Reactions: noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My main reason for skipping breakfast (apart from laziness on work mornings) is I really struggle to eat when I have not long woken up. I just don't fancy it. Which is funny because I love food and generally have a good appetite. I tried it for the first 2/3 years after diagnosis, but it was so forced that I couldn't make a habit of it.

If food is unappealing on a morning then there's no point in forcing yourself to eat.

I really do enjoy reading about how on one hand we are all in this together and on the other we are all so unique!

That is so true @pearceam :)

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A morning run on an empty stomach is actually a fantastic way to get hassle-free exercise. And as we all know, exercise is very important.

The pancreas secretes two hormones: insulin and glucagon. Glucagon raises blood sugar by stimulating the liver to release stored glucose. Glucagon contributes to keeping sugars stable.

Exercise stimulates glucagon production to supply muscles with energy. However, insulin "silences" glucagon. If you take a large bolus of insulin, the glucagon can't do its job.

And that's why your sugars are so stable if you run without breakfast.

Reactions: Freema

StewartH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find this interesting as I find when I do eat breakfast I suffer with bouncy readings...

Today for example my fasting BG was 9.6 - I had 10 units of Tresiba and went straight out for a run. No food/fast acting insulin. Came back from my run and BG was 9.9. Still not had anything to eat and BG is 10. Not perfect numbers I know but really steady and I feel good for that.

Hi Pearcam
I changed onto a LCHF diet a little over a year ago. Lots to say about this but the bullet points are:
  1. I feel so much stronger, fitter and in control of BG's.
  • my feelings of hunger are transformed. I don't get hungry in the same way but very occasionally (a couple of times a week perhaps) I do get a subtle desire to eat something which I think is my bod asking for fuel, so I have a fatty snack or a meal.
  • I now often go without breakfast. I just take a tiny amount of Novorapid (3 units or so) to deal with the dawn phenomenon and keep my BG level 'flat line' while I get on with my day. This is liberating and I do not feel I am imprisoned by the need to eat. I eat when I feel like it. I agree with Lizdeluz when she mentioned above 'The addictive effect of a high-carbohydrate diet . Why does an overweight person crave carbs when they are carrying so much body fuel around their waist? This does not make sense until you consider the possibility of 'addiction'.
  • I have halved the amount of short term insulin taken! Now 12U per day. Basal has stayed the same at 14U. I still get BG level excursions if I underestimate or over estimate carbs or insulin but as the quantities of both are so much smaller the excursions are smaller too.
Thanks for a great thread....

Reactions: pearceam

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Pearcream

I'm afraid I can't tell from your profile whether you are diabetic, or what type of D, and I think it makes quite a difference to whether breakfast is appropriate, and what breakfast is appropriate.

Everyone seems to speak for what works for them and their circumstances, if we knew what yours are, then we might be able to explain why different breakfast options/willpower reactions happen, and compare experiences.

Lack of willpower is so often blamed, when what is really happening is blood glucose fluctuations and carb cravings which can be affected by activity levels, hormones, stress and medication.

:)

pearceam

Hi @Pearcream

I'm afraid I can't tell from your profile whether you are diabetic, or what type of D, and I think it makes quite a difference to whether breakfast is appropriate, and what breakfast is appropriate.

Everyone seems to speak for what works for them and their circumstances, if we knew what yours are, then we might be able to explain why different breakfast options/willpower reactions happen, and compare experiences.

Lack of willpower is so often blamed, when what is really happening is blood glucose fluctuations and carb cravings which can be affected by activity levels, hormones, stress and medication.

Sorry for the confusion! I'm T1 for 6 years. Starting a pump on Monday.

My nurse has suggested my appetite might be further reduced with the pump as insulin can cause hunger. I'm hoping this is the case!

Reactions: Brunneria

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Hi @Pearcream

That was certainly true for me for decades.. Then started lchf and the bingeing vanished :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That was certainly true for me for decades.. Then started lchf and the bingeing vanished :)

Me too. All those years thinking i had 'food issues' and it turned out to just be carb/insulin not synced properly. Incredible.