LADA/1.5 so confused??

St4cey

Elaine!!!!

Only just seen this post! How u diddling today Hun? I sometimes have random days of readings of lows and not so high as yours but higher after meals that have previously been okay. I remember having my normal fruit and fibre but going bk to bed afterwards (was my study day from uni) as my boy had me up in the night and no way I was functioning, woke up with a 12!!! I had high readings all that day and few days after, I was a bit stressed and run down that week, turned out with a cold too which may have explained the highs? You getting on ok with Uni work etc? Got my HBA1C next Fri, consultant not until 30th of August now!!! So much for 3 monthly appointments, rolling into 4 monthly!!

Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

elaine77

Hiya Stacey!

Levels are back where they were but a bit more 6s nd 7s than 5s :-( I think I must've just got a bit to relaxed with diet that's all...I ate sum Revels last night so didn't test before bed....still have days where I think 'what's the point putting off the inevitable' and am not as strict with myself.

Got my sons 3rd birthday party tomorrow so that's goin to be great fun not being able to eat anything but hey-ho I might be too busy anyway. Uni works fine, need to wait for final ethical approval for dissertation so can't do anything at the moment until that comes through.

Yep I was supposed to be seeing my consultant 3months after my first appointment and it ended up being 4! He has now discharged me from consultant-led care until there is a deterioration..... Lets all sit and wait for the world to end eh.......

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
Hi Elaine and Stacey, I have been reading your posts and really feeling sorry for you and the fear of having to inject insulin. I was hospitalised at the end of Jan this year and was discharged terrified after 6 days with the diagnosis of type1 lada. I was given a bg machine and insulin and here in Italy they don't have any courses for you to go on or support nurses so basically I was all on my own so I knew i just had to get on with it. Please believe me when i say things haven't been ad bad as i thought they would be. Yes sometimes the needled nip a bit but if you change the needles often it helps. I have to inject 3 times a day in the stomach and once in the leg and i was the biggest scaredy cat . I really do wish you both well.:)

St4cey

Ah glad to hear ur back to 'normal'!!! Lol ;)
Haha, I always dodge the nighttime testing after a treat, it is nowhere near a treat I used to have but I know it's even more wrong now so I don't need a meter reinforcing what I already know, can do with that reading staying outta my recordings!
How was the party? U manage to avoid the Haribo's and cakes? It's my birthday on Saturday big 30, I've had a few nights out lately in the run up, see how my sugars have been, got to say alcohol is very kind to me, even the day after!! However, Haribo's are not so no dipping into the sweetie jar for me!!

Hi Audsital,

Lovely to hear from you ;) that must have been very scary for you being in hospital and discharged with a life changing condition with limited information and understanding. Italy eh, I've visited only once, to a place I can not remember! Must ask my friend where we went! I'm never the planner, I just pay, pack my bags and go!! Whereabouts are you?

For me having to have insulin is not so much the injecting (although I'm not looking forward to that either!) it's the feeling of restriction, having to think constantly about the food that I'm eating, how much insulin I need, have I had to much etc the spontaneity of going for a walk or going for a meal and drinks is accompanied by having to think about something else instead of enjoying the time. I know this will primarily be short term feelings and ill get used to it, however I don't want to!! I would LOVE to stay as I am, as I have managed and understood how I currently present with Diabetes without having to wait to get my head around another Type and how to manage :( I am carb aware which is contributing to my knowledge and prep for insulin, however I'm not going overboard, I have enough to do in the present without planning for the future!! Present is party time this week!!! ;)

Thanks again for your kind words and support
Xxx

elaine77

Hi guys,

For me it's the injections but its also what you said Stacey and also the declarations, increasing insurance costs, DVLA palarva etc etc.... And I'm producing enuff to cope with a low GI carb diet so I'm also happy to stick to that at the moment too!

Party went OK, I was so busy I really didn't eat much anyway but I ate a mini flapjack and a few breadsticks which probably weren't ideal. Really wasn't hungry last night but needed to take meds so I ate 2 (halved, so 4 half) toasted granary buns with cheese and got a 7.8mmol 2hours later which I guess is not so bad considering it was bread rolls I ate...

What shocks me is the massive difference consuming carbs with fat makes! I knew it made a difference but didnt realise how much until the other night... I usually have spag Bol quite often and 2 hours later I'm generally about 6 mmol as I don't have much pasta but have mince etc... All made in oil so quite fatty... Decided to have tuna pasta for the first time since diagnosis last week, obv tuna has no carbs/fat and mayo not that much either as it was extra light mayo, so tested 2 hours later and BAM 11.7 mmol... Guess tuna pasta is out for the foreseeable.....

Hope you enjoy ur birthday and don't feel guilty about it! U only live once! My friend is getting married on the 27th July and I've got her 2 hen nights before that and then the wedding itself!

Alcohol is very good to me too if I have vodka, (diet)lemon and lime and actually lowers by BS so I can drink as much as I want aslong as I have a snack at some point... If helps my dawn phenomenon aswell as it distracts my liver and stops it glucose dumping as much! Vodka and sugar free energy drink is also fine and the alcohol doesn't really effect my BS the next day either! Only downside is I can no longer have my beloved Mojitos :'( not sure il ever get over that!

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Reactions: notria

elaine77

Help! My morning readings are back in the 8s? No idea what's going on? Before meal levels hav went down a bit to 4.1. 4.5 etc... But the morning fasting one has went up??

Also, I have booked our first All Inclusive holiday we leave next Sunday... Any tips on how to manage on holiday with not being able to eat any of the holiday foods you would normally eat? :'( I'm stressed just thinking about it but we have 2 kids age 6 and 3 so All Inclusive was a must.....

BobCornelius

Hi All, just seen this thread!

I have a similar tale, diagnosed T2 3 yrs ago, but GP wasn't convinced!

I went through all the drugs, which worked for a short while, but wound up on basal insulin. Transferred to Hospital Diabetic unit, to go on to basal and bolus insulin! GAD antibody test over 200, so confirmed Adult Onset T1 earlier this year.

Insulin pens and 4mm needles make the whole thing mostly pain free, especially if you use a fresh needle with every injection! And you get to eat whatever you want, as long as you calculate carb content and inject accordingly!

I'm going out for a 7 course meal next week, confident I can calculate every course, and come out afterwards with good numbers!

:)

Bob

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I suggest that you take some dark rye bread on holiday with you, elaine77.

If you eat that steadily throughout the morning and into the late afternoon, it will prevent your blood-sugar crashing.

But don't eat too much, or your blood-sugar will rise later in the evening.

Even Tesco Express sells packs of Pumpernickel.

elaine77

Argh confused!!!!

So I was on holiday All Inclusive from 15th - 22nd July and although I still avoided the obvious white bread and mashed potato malarkey I was not very strict with my diet at all, even eating miniature desserts! I felt totally fine and the highest reading I got was 8.1 mmol and that was after eating a chocolate crepe for breakfast!!! All good yeh??

Not now I'm back!

Since I've came back my BS levels are atrocious the lowest I've had is 7 mmol and the highest 9.1 mmol despite the fact im back to my stricter low GI diet! I don't understand? How can this be?? I'm also knackered allllll the time and have no energy.. I've got no idea how this is possible?? Could it be that I am unable to survive in colder climates and need to live in the heat? Lol! I honestly do not understand how this can be the case? Any ideas anyone???

Also, St4cey where r u?? Have ur had ur appointment yet?? Hope ur going good :) xx

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi elaine, glad u enjoyed ur hols. The weather would definately of helped ur readings, I'm trying to find my new levels since the heatwave. Since we've had cooler weather have been using temp basal rates of +30%. Also, ben feeling very moody, lethargic as my new ratios are taking a while to figure out. I know your not on insulin but with your levels raising is probably a factor of how u feel. it might be that with your pancreas coping so well on your hols, it now needs a little rest, and not so functional. Hopefully they wil return to your pre hol levels soon.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
Hi Elaine, hope you enjoyed your holiday. I too have had strange readings reacently and my diabetologist said i am in the honeymoon period of diabetes. I have had days when i go so high my meter tells me to check for ketosis and the days i am low all day and don,t seem to be able to get my numbers steady. Maybe you are in that phase too. As to your earlier post ( sorry about taking a long time to reply). I live beside lake garda in northern italy. Take care and i hope things settle down for you soon.

elaine77

I've been slow onset for at least 7 months now and there hasn't been a deterioration as of my last appointment so I'm assuming it must be the weather or something..... Really need to live in a hotter country :-(

Ps:- have always wanted to see Italy it must be lovely living there :)

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Elaine!

I've just got back from Scotland and i've had the complete opposite to you - while I was on holiday my BGs kept spiking into the 9s and 10s for no apparent reason and I was having to take extra insulin to bring them down. My fastings were regularly in double-figures. Now I'm back at work and my BGs have gone to the low side of normal - 3.8 fasting this morning :crazy: I sometimes think it's best to just roll with it and not try too hard to work it out!

Take care

Smidge

St4cey

Hi Elaine & everyone!!

Sorry i've been a stranger, i've been celebrating my 30th all of July, sneeking some cake and bubbles!! :)

Back to reality now though, assignment on adult social care due in on Mon :( urrrrggggggghh!!!

Ah glad you enjoyed your holiday and let yourself go abit with your food!!!!! Rubbish to be back anyway without your bs being a pain!!! How are they this week?

I've been doing fab, had my yearly (despite only being diagnosed 7 months!) check at the GP beginning of July HBA1C was 40! Super impressed with that :clap: especially as it was the day before my birthday, allowed for more celebrations and cake allowance!! :) Have a Consultant appointment on 30th Aug where they may do the same as you Elaine and discharge me until my pancreas dies whilst doing so well.

Fasting readings are now 6's, odd 7. That has been since I changed my contraceptive. I had to change the pill due to its increased risk of Cardiovascular disease (I was not impressed, just something else to change!!!!grrrrrr!!!) anyhoo, had the no hormone coil fitted and since then 6's every morning. I've stopped exercising too, just because i'd say im lazy but i really don't find the time and since I've stopped putting so much pressure on myself to exercise, check my bloods constantly, get high assignment marks and be perfect I feel loads better, hurrah! However, I have started checking again as I have let myself go a little in July!

Oooh and i've been soooo tired too past 2 weeks, just wanting to get in bed when I get in from work!

Hi Brett and Smidge, interesting how we all differ on holidays and in the heat!

Hows the dissertation gone/going? You all done now? Kids ok?

Stace
x

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nice to hear you've been doing well stace, congrats. Good luck on your assignment.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

elaine77

That's great news!

Argh I'm fed up! Last few days my fasting has been between 6 and 7 which is better... But thru the day I'm either over 7 or under 5! I used to always be between 5 and 7 so I've no idea wot my pancreas is playing at at the minute! Don't even know when my next appointment is, probably September or sumthin but at least my Metformin hasnt been increased yet, I'm still on 2x 500mg so there's no deterioration as of my last appointment.

Not done with dissertation yet, shud be finished early next year so gud luck with assignment! I think they will look at my contraception next too because im still getting really bad headaches... I've always got them when my BS has went above 8 but now I'm getting them when my BS is fine so duno wots goin on! Been a bit off whack since the hol like....struggling with diet :-( xx

elaine77

Well it was 1hr nd a half after but still :-(

I had one a few days before and got a 6.5mmol so thought they were ok for me....obv not tho, obv the pancreas is just trying to trick me again :-(

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.