Lancing device?

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance
Yes they do, but the lancing thing does vary, I use an Accu-chek lancer, it has cartridges so no "sharps" and is easy to use, and I use a Contour next meter as it s so easy to get a good overview. :)

Yes, most meters come with a lancing device but they vary greatly with regard their quality and ease of use. I have used many meters and lancing devices over the last 25 years or so (I've been diabetic for 42 years now). The one I am currently using is the best of the bunch by far. It is an 'Accu-Chek Mobile' and is really well thought out:

- The lancing device attaches to the side of the meter so it is always there. (You can't use one without the other)
- The Lancet uses little cartridges each containing 6 lancets. You move to a new lancet by simply advancing a little switch by 1 each time. The lancet cartridges can easily be disposed of in household waste.
- The actual meter uses a cartridge containg 50 tests so there is no need to carry a seperate tub of test strips. There is also no actual test strip that has to be disposed of.
- Comes with a nifty little 'pouch' to carry the meter in. That's all there is - one little pouch about the size of a packet of 20 cigarettes. No seperate lancing device or tubs of test strips or lancets to deal with. Just one complete unit and that's it.

And, 'Oh' I nearly forgot. The lancing device is a quality piece of kit that is very gentle on fingers or even for alternative site testing.

I can highly recommend this unit.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
sleslie@btinternet said:
It is an 'Accu-Chek Mobile' and is really well thought out:

- The lancing device attaches to the side of the meter so it is always there. (You can't use one without the other)
/quote]
I use the lancing device but discarded the meter (to many wasted strips)
sleslie@btinternet said:
And, 'Oh' I nearly forgot. The lancing device is a quality piece of kit that is very gentle on fingers or even for alternative site testing.

I agree the lancer is great

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you like the Accu-Chek Mobile's lancing device but not the meter itself, you can get similar standalone lancing devices called the Accu-Chek Fastclix or Multiclix (just google them). I've just ordered one as they are one of the quickest to use and a lot of people say they can be reused for ages and have minimal scarring.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
sleslie@btinternet said:
Yes, most meters come with a lancing device but they vary greatly with regard their quality and ease of use. I have used many meters and lancing devices over the last 25 years or so (I've been diabetic for 42 years now). The one I am currently using is the best of the bunch by far. It is an 'Accu-Chek Mobile' and is really well thought out:

- The Lancet uses little cartridges each containing 6 lancets. You move to a new lancet by simply advancing a little switch by 1 each time. The lancet cartridges can easily be disposed of in household waste.
- The actual meter uses a cartridge containg 50 tests so there is no need to carry a seperate tub of test strips. There is also no actual test strip that has to be disposed of.
- Comes with a nifty little 'pouch' to carry the meter in. That's all there is - one little pouch about the size of a packet of 20 cigarettes. No seperate lancing device or tubs of test strips or lancets to deal with. Just one complete unit and that's it.

Definitely agree about the Accu-Chek Mobile. I have acquired 2 of these over the past few years completely free from Accu-Chek, whether it makes any difference if you're T1 or T 2 I don't know.