Lantus pen storage

DiabeticSkater

I have just noticed the label on the front of my Lantus Solostar box says "pens in use must not be stored in the refridgerator". What the hell does this mean?

jallsop

DiabeticSkater said:
I have just noticed the label on the front of my Lantus Solostar box says "pens in use must not be stored in the refridgerator". What the hell does this mean?

Mine says the same. It just means that unused pens must be stored in the fridge. Once used for the first time, they must no longer be kept there.

Jackie

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
dont know lol but my nurse said it wont work as well and will sting more sooo it will be interesting to find out :D

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
i think the storage of unused insulin in a fridge just helps to preserve it for longer... but whileit's being used, it works more effeciantly when not cooled... remember chemicals like these are usually at body temperature (sinse it's supposed to be produced and used straight away in your body).

It does stings more too when it's cold.

Of course, i have absolutly no scientific proof or reasoning to my statements... it's just what i think. It makes sense to me.

DiabeticSkater

Got a response from Sanofi

Storage of Lantus Solostar pens
Lantus SoloStar pens which have not yet been used should be stored in the refrigerator (between 2°C and 8°C) to maintain their storage life of 3 years.  They should be kept inside the box to protect them from light. Do not freeze them or keep them near the freezer compartment of the refrigerator. 
Before using your Lantus SoloStar pen that has been kept in the refrigerator, it should be left at room temperature (up to 25°C), for one to two hours. Once you have started using the SoloStar pen, it is advisable to leave it at room temperature as constantly removing the device from the refrigeration temperature to room temperature can affect the mechanics of the pen.
Once Lantus Solostar pens are removed from the fridge they can be kept and used for 28 days at a temperature up to 25°C.  Do not use Lantus if it has been kept for longer than 28 days out of the refrigerator or if the temperature has exceeded 25°C. 
I hope that the information is of interest to you. If you have any further enquiries regarding Lantus SoloStar then please contact us.

DiabeticSkater

I just don't understand how something which needs to be refrigerated is put in a delivery device which can't cope with changes in temperature. Crazy :roll:
I always keep mine in he fridge and the only time it comes out is for 10 seconds twice daily when I inject. I wonder if these guidelines are intended for hospital use. Never had a solostar pen fail because of its mechanics before.

Jay3109

Hm, I was on holiday where the temperature regularly got above 30 C but my Levemir pen was just kept in the bathroom (spare ampules were kept in minibar where the temptation to replace said insulin with brandy was too too great at times!! :D ). I didn't detect any particular problems with my control even though stored at above the recommended temp but I wouldn't try it for a prolonged period of time. Sometimes these science johnnies do know what they're talking about...sometimes... :wink:

But I have certainly once or twice had to inject 'straight from the fridge' and it's not pleasant... :(

DiabeticSkater

I often wonder how people in hot climate go on when they don't have access to a fridge. My friend(whom is type 1 himself) is a pharmacist in Australia and tell me the Aboriginals keep there insulin out in the bush with no ill effects. Makes me think its all about cover the pharmaceutical industry covering its back against litigation.