Lantus side effects

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i just started on insulin yesterday. I'm t2 and still on gliclazide and metformin as well. I took 3 doses of humalog during day and seen an almost instant effect on my sugar levels. Took 14 units of lantus at bedtime and this morning I feel so drugged up. Lightheaded and dizzy. Sugar levels are ok so not a hypo. Does anyone else have this with lantus? Should I speak to nurse about reducing lantus dose?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Should I speak to nurse about reducing lantus dose?

I would certainly speak to your nurse about the light headiness and dizzy symptoms, maybe tonight if you take another lantus dose you should test your bg during the night to make sure your not going hypo in the early hours, nocturnal hypo's can leave you out-of-sorts when waking on a morning.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
i just started on insulin yesterday. I'm t2 and still on gliclazide and metformin as well. I took 3 doses of humalog during day and seen an almost instant effect on my sugar levels. Took 14 units of lantus at bedtime and this morning I feel so drugged up. Lightheaded and dizzy. Sugar levels are ok so not a hypo. Does anyone else have this with lantus? Should I speak to nurse about reducing lantus dose?
You may have some sort of allergy with Lantus. I'm type 1 and take both humulog and Lantus (23 units of Lantus) keeps my BGs normal when I fast, I've never had an adverse reaction to either type of insulin but I've heard this isn't the case with everyone - I suggest with the help of your doctor, to try using another type of insulin other than Lantus to see if you feel any better in the morning.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If your bs was high before starting insulin it could just be the bs dropping. It took awhile for me to steady bs and then those feelings went away. When my bs is fluctuating I don't feel well so I try to keep it very steady. Insulin is a hormone so it could just take awhile for your body to adjust

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all. My nurse is going to call me on Monday morning to see how my levels have been on current doses over weekend. The dozy feeling passed after an hour or so. Might just be an initial reaction but I'll see how it goes.