Lantus

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I'm a type 1 that's still in honeymoon period. I take 4 units of Lantus at 8pm.

I was wondering if even taking a small amount of Lantus could regularly put me in the hypo zone?

I'm asking because im finding my levels are down to the mid 4's quite regular.

Cheers John

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Jc3131 :)

The mid 4s are ok as long as you're not dropping lower.

Is there any particularly time you're worried about going too low?

Is Lantus the only insulin you're taking or do you take a meal time insulin too?

Reactions: Jc3131

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just take Lantus at around 8pm.

I just seem to be dipping around 11am- 12 noon depending on what time i had breakfast. But saying that its happening before tea as well.

I was starting to feel ratty and anxious while out and i checked sugar levels when I got home and I was 4.2. This coupled with driving has me on edge.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Jc3131 Ok - yes, you're right to be concerned about driving. The guidance says '5 to drive'. Personally, I like to be at least 6. If you're in the 4s, you could eat a small snack before driving.

So if it was me, I think I'd probably schedule regular small carb snacks to head off the drops.

The other thing you could do is ask your DSN if taking less Lantus and a tiny amount of bolus (meal time) insulin would work better. Lantus is a basal insulin and is really supposed to keep your BS level in the absence of food.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have my novorapid ready for when the honeymoon is over but at the moment im plodding along. If I eat anything carb heavy my levels go up to 13 etc but come down to a more reasonable level after around 3 hrs after eating.

A few press ups when levels are high seem to work for me for now. I'll have arms like arnie soon.

Cheers

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i find the lantus keeps my levels quite stable i would suggest a snack for when your levels dip x

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
2-3 units of lantus can drop me. Take it at 10pm but it's gone by morning. No honeymoon for me anymore.
Have you spoken about dropping it back a unit? How is your fasting?

I did find lantus to have peaks and valley so I prefer it to just keep me steady while I sleep and then use bolus for my waking hours.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers for the replies. In the morning before breakfast im anywhere from 4.9- 7 mmol. Normally around the 6mmol mark.

And if you're around those levels at 8 when you take it you're probably on the right dose. The rule I go by is I'm drop 20+ I lower my dose and if I rise 20+ I raise my dose. All by one unit. If I raise it I try to test around 2 am to make sure I'm not dropping too much during the night.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have my novorapid ready for when the honeymoon is over but at the moment im plodding along. If I eat anything carb heavy my levels go up to 13 etc but come down to a more reasonable level after around 3 hrs after eating.

A few press ups when levels are high seem to work for me for now. I'll have arms like arnie soon.

Cheers

The honeymoon doesn't mean a Type 1 has to avoid bolus insulin if that's what you were saying there (I wasn't quite sure so sorry if I misunderstood).

If you're having to overly restrict your diet and do extra exercise beyond your normal routine to control your BS, a basal/bolus regime might give you more flexibility and avoid the need for snacks. You shouldn't have to snack on Lantus.

So you might find you can take less Lantus, thus avoiding the lower levels that are concerning you, and have a small bolus with your meals (you can take as little as half a unit of insulin). That's what I did and found it worked well. A small dose basal/bolus regime is likely to work better than just basal, I'd think @Jc3131

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The honeymoon doesn't mean a Type 1 has to avoid bolus insulin if that's what you were saying there (I wasn't quite sure so sorry if I misunderstood).

If you're having to overly restrict your diet and do extra exercise beyond your normal routine to control your BS, a basal/bolus regime might give you more flexibility and avoid the need for snacks. You shouldn't have to snack on Lantus.

So you might find you can take less Lantus, thus avoiding the lower levels that are concerning you, and have a small bolus with your meals (you can take as little as half a unit of insulin). That's what I did and found it worked well. A small dose basal/bolus regime is likely to work better than just basal, I'd think @Jc3131
Yes that's what i meant. I am not seeing the diabetes nurse for another week, i will ask her then about my regime.

I thought with me taking Lantus and honeymooning I couldn't take the novorapid. I am really restricting my food and with doing that I am not putting any of the weight on that I originally lost.

Also I keep getting stomach cramps and need a good clear out ( yuk). I'm hoping it's just down to my diet. Im unsure if I can take any medication to relieve the stomach issues.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I thought with me taking Lantus and honeymooning I couldn't take the novorapid. I am really restricting my food and with doing that I am not putting any of the weight on that I originally lost.

That's no way to go, why don't you ring the diabetes clinic tomorrow and ask to speak with a DSN, usually if they are not available they'll ring you back as soon as they are free.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes that's what i meant. I am not seeing the diabetes nurse for another week, i will ask her then about my regime.

Also I keep getting stomach cramps and need a good clear out ( yuk). I'm hoping it's just down to my diet. Im unsure if I can take any medication to relieve the stomach issues.

Honeymooning isn't a reason to not take Novorapid as a general rule. It sounds like you're on a higher dose of Lantus maybe than necessary or/and you're having to seriously restrict your diet.

When I was in the honeymoon period, I took 1 unit of basal, and small doses of bolus insulin, which covered my food. I put back the weight I'd lost quickly and felt a lot better.

To be honest, it seems like you're still being treated a bit like a Type 2. Do make sure that the nurse you speak to is a DSN not a general practice nurse.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think with me sort of having blood levels within the hospitals range they were happy with my current regime of 4 units of Lantus. For me to get those levels I am eating like a type2, and watching my every step. Even a few slices of pizza sends my 2 hourly readings up past 12mmol mark, they do come down though an hour or so later.

I went back to work a few weeks ago on a phased return. I am currently up to 6 hours a day, but after about 5 hrs my energy levels drop and my blood sugar levels are low enough for the need to snack. My job is quite physical and I'm dreading going back full time in a few weeks.

I will just wait until my appointment in a weeks time and mention my issues. It's school hol time and I need to spend time with my kids as I've not been much fun recently.

Thanks for the replies.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a quick update. As from today I am still on my 4u Lantus and I am starting on 1 or 2 units of novorapid before one main meal. So tonight I may have a feast, within reason of course. Hopefully I will start to put a bit weight on now.

Cheers John

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hope so @Jc3131 :)

You shouldn't have to restrict your diet so much to get control.

Thanks for the update :)

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also how many times a day should I be finger testing? Nurse said the dr surgery where I get my test strips from may start to querie my repeat prescriptions.

Im probs testing 9-10 times a day. Is this too much?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also how many times a day should I be finger testing? Nurse said the dr surgery where I get my test strips from may start to querie my repeat prescriptions.

Im probs testing 9-10 times a day. Is this too much?

No, that's not too much. Test as many times as you need to. With starting the Novorapid, you'll need to test more anyway.

Surgeries aren't allowed to restrict test strips for Type 1s.