Laser treatment & driving licences

trickett30

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I have recently been told that I need laser treatment in both my eyes. I've also been told that i may some vision in my eyes. Does anyone know if I would lose my driving licence as I will need to tell the DVLA and I'm not sure how harsh they will towards to me. I'm concerned as I rely heavily on my driving licence. Any advice or experiences will be appreciated

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @trickett30 I had 2 sessions of laser in each eye last year, and at renewal was sent for the assessment at the opticians. They were fine, and I have had my licence renewed. The one thing I would suggest is that when they do the field vision test, ensure you are sat comfortably with full view of the screen .... sounds obvious, but I was not, and it meant I was unable to see a large number of the dots that flashed up. When readjusted, on the second test, I passed with "flying colours" but was told, that she was about to fail me based on my first effort!
For me, I was warned I may lose some vision, but it would be in low light settings, and this may be dependent on where they are treating. I have not noticed much difference to be honest.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Does anyone know if I would lose my driving licence as I will need to tell the DVLA and I'm not sure how harsh they will towards to me.

You do need to notify the DVLA @trickett30

Second the advice that @paulliljeros has given, the appointed Opticians who conduct the field vision test know that people are nervous and anxious and will restart the it if at first you don't respond to the lights/flashes (well that's been the case with myself anyway).

The Opticians are not allowed to say how well you do in the test, they forward the results to the DVLA who then decide if you can continue to drive and for how long your licence will run for, but the Ophthalmologist who carry out the laser surgery are very skilled and will only do the minimum amount of laser necessary, I've lost just a small amount of my peripheral vision in my left eye but not enough to be refused a licence, in fact my current and last 2 licences have ran for 3 years.

Good luck and hope all goes well.