Late night eating and evening basal

mbudzi

Hi

I'm on an AM dose of 6 units Humulin and PM 5.5 units Humulin. The half unit does make a difference and stopped me hypoing at night.

A few times recently I have been having a small late night snack and finding that my waking BG is in the 4s or I have a mild hypo (mid to late 3s).

Why is a small snack (taken without any basal insulin) affecting my night-time bolus? What haven't I understood?

Any suggestions/help appreciated - I thought I had my head around all this. :problem:

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Good question... and hopefully one that someone else can stump up with an idea. :idea:

In the meantime, your BASAL insulin is a long-acting insulin, usually taken just prior to bed - examples are Levemir and Lantus (Glargine)... (unless you're on a pump)

Your BOLUS insulin is the short-acting insulin that you inject to compensate for any carbohydrates you eat.

However, you're on humulin, which I believe is a mix of both long and short acting insulin types (???).

I wholeheartedly recommend you contact your DSN / GP to discuss - maybe your pre-bed carb intake is not sufficient or maybe you need a different type of insulin??? (I've had seven types since diagnosis in '76. :yawn: )

Good luck,
Conrad