Late onset type 1.. the unabridged version.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I wrote about this in my intro a bit, but I thought I'd share the full story.

First background:
My grandfather (mum's dad) had type 1 insulin dependence. His triggered after being released from a POW camp and coming to Australia.. a land of plenty, in relation to what he was used to for the previous years. He was 30.
He had 2 daughters. Mum &an aunt. Neither developed diabetes and are mid 50s.

Me:
I was admitted to hospital start of April with a third of my red blood cells, almost no iron, less than half normal potassium level, renal tubular acidosis. Kidneys were giving in, parathyroid had stopped working 100%. I was on the edge of coma, had about 3hrs memory from the first 2.5 days in ICU.
They pumped me with blood, minerals, etc. Organs all came back to full function thankfully. Moved to renal ward for 3 weeks. Condition improved with levels. Was a mystery though.
Endoscopy/colonoscopy and CT showed inflammation/scarring in stomach/etc. They're thinking malabsorbtion but cause unknown. No sign of bleeding to explain blood loss.
Had daily blood tests for everything they could think of throughout my admission, BGL was normal all through.
Got let out on supplement pills and with blood tests regularly to monitor. 2 days later - blood test shows BGL 17. Go to GP next day, finger prick test - 13. Told to watch out and come back Monday. HBA1C can't be tested due to blood transfusion.
Sunday - I am in ED for BGL of 43!
Antibody tests ordered, treated as type 2. Given IV insulin to bring me down. Get to 3.5 and experience hypo symptoms. Very noticeable, never had it before.
Pills are tried, no effect.
Put onto insulin. Begin the education process.
Antibody test comes back resoundingly positive (not a borderline result) - type 1.
Also they found parietal cell antibodies - the explanation for my supplement/stomach problems!

So here I am. I find it interesting that both my grandfather and I experienced malnutrition for some years, before our t1 triggered at the same age...

Anyway, that's how I got to this place

Last edited:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What an interesting history, possibly a chapter for a book. I hope you've taken the time to gather copies of all your medical records. I wonder what the a geneticist would think of all this. :)

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'd be interested to see too! I have sent my DNA off to one of those genealogy websites, but I've not heard good things about the accuracy of their tests. And unfortunately the grandfather is no longer around to test. (I have a relative into family history stuff who asked me to provide my dna)

I do have the records... they are a book themselves haha!