LCHF and fat

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
been type 2 and the fact i get no sodding help from the NHS at all
Hi

Is the fat just for energy ? I find that I don't eat a lot of fat but was wandering if that effected the diets effectiveness? Should I eat more or does it not matter

Reactions: 2 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you don't eat much fat then you're not on the LCHF diet, which is fine. Eat what you're happy with and that keep your BG levels stable. As for fat being a fuel ? Yes, all food is.

Reactions: 5 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
LCHF means low carb high fat for a reason. If you cut down on your carbohydrate intake then you need to replace this energy source with something else. So you then have a choice of how to do it. There are two possibilities, fats and proteins.
Generally fats are chosen over proteins because of gluconeogenesis, ie excess protein can be converted into glucose. With fats this occurs to a much lesser extent. High proein intake can or may also be a burden on your kidneys so it seems.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
High fat ... I find that a bit misleading.
I don't sit here eating lots of fat but but but but but .... I feel I eat like nature intended not the corporations.
Cows don't produce semi skimmed low fat no fat products so I eat the natural full fat versions of what comes out the cow.
I eat oily fish berries nuts olive oil and for snacks pork scratchings.
You don't have to have lots of fat.
I diet to my meter not the scales so as long as my readings are ok is what matters to me.
Best of luck with it it's worked wonders for me.

Reactions: 8 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Lack of fat in my diet when I've always been a low carber definitely affected my brain and my muscles. Since having full fat milk, cream and more eggs and cheese my muscles have hugely improved with tone and pains. My brain is improved with its memory-i can't prove this as such but its the only difference besides flaxseed and chia seeds to my diet.

I wouldn't consider that I actually have high fat.. But I have higher fat.

Reactions: 12 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps it's easier to say Not Low Fat. When Dr. Malhotra was interviewed on BBC Breakfast he said that if the packaging says low/no fat then put it back on the shelf.

Also I remember from Dr. Briffa's book that eating fat releases a hormone (was it called Leptin?) and this is the hormone that releases fat from the fat cells. It seems it helps you to lose weight.

Reactions: 4 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Certainly as above, we need to replace the energy from carbs with fat, I have higher fat as in cream, cheese, bacon, full fat coleslaw etc but NOT high, extreme fat! When I began in late June I wasn't used to having full fat products after years of being told low/fat free was best, I wondered how it would work with losing weight but it clearly does! Down to non - diabetic hba1c in 18 weeks and up until end of December 4st 3lbs lost, and still losing!
As jack says, eating as nature intended fat wise not the corporation designed and altered products !

Reactions: 8 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
There is a green spot by my avatar pulsing at me.
It's a rather pointless green spot too.
Mine is always pulsating .... :headphone::woot::wideyed:.... because I never log out so I presume it reads me as online all the time.

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have Greek yogurt for breakfast. 4 slices of streaky bacon for lunch and dinner will be meat veg and fried egg. And a few peanuts as s snack

Reactions: 5 people

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I guess I wandered if I didn't eat enough fat if it would slow my weight loss down

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
High fat ... I find that a bit misleading.
I don't sit here eating lots of fat but but but but but .... I feel I eat like nature intended not the corporations.
Cows don't produce semi skimmed low fat no fat products so I eat the natural full fat versions of what comes out the cow.
I eat oily fish berries nuts olive oil and for snacks pork scratchings.
You don't have to have lots of fat.
I diet to my meter not the scales so as long as my readings are ok is what matters to me.
Best of luck with it it's worked wonders for me.

Thank you. This has been most helpful.
It is the HIGH fat definition that causes confusion.
The way you describe is similar to the pre 1960s way of eating. My parents' generation believed in having cream of milk, bacon, eggs, butter. This was also the diet recommended for anyone recovering from illness. Much less obesity in their day.

Reactions: 6 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Thank you. This has been most helpful.
It is the HIGH fat definition that causes confusion.
The way you describe is similar to the pre 1960s way of eating. My parents' generation believed in having cream of milk, bacon, eggs, butter. This was also the diet recommended for anyone recovering from illness. Much less obesity in their day.
Interesting because many studies point to the 50's and early sixties as being the healthiest the nation has ever been.
As well as all products being full fat there was also dripping butties.
No sensible mother would chuck out poultry fat beef fat from chickens geese beef etc.
Was all fed to the family in one form or other.
Plus there were no supermarkets or refrigeration so food was bought locally every day.
This meant no preservatives in the food.
The masses of chemical additives to replace flavour because of removed fat or to extend storage transport and shelf life didn't exist either.

Reactions: 9 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
There wasn't an endless supply of sugar available either.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
When I was a kid chocolate was a treat not an everyday thing.
Remember peeling back the foil and pinching bits out of the xmas tree chocolates?
Remember when Easter eggs were something special?
Because chocolate was something special.
Remember when tomatoes were seasonal?
Lettuce and spring onions too?
Now you can have a salad on Xmas day.
There's little that's special any more.
Meaning theres not much magic or wonder left in family life for many .... not much to look forward too.
Everything just is.

Reactions: 9 people

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
And they call it progress huh

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Is the fat just for energy ? I find that I don't eat a lot of fat but was wandering if that effected the diets effectiveness? Should I eat more or does it not matter
It might.
If you don't get enough energy you body can go into starvation mode and refuse to let go of its resources so weight loss slows down. .

If you eat too little fat it is easy to eat too much protein and that can raise bg too. You want to stay in ketosis.

Fat is also very filling so if you eat too little fat you'll be hungry all the time, not good at all. Eat until you are full.

And fat of course contains a lot of essential stuff so it is good for us. Protein is essential too of course.

A common macro-nutrient breakdown on LCHF is carbs 5E%, protein 15E% and fat 80E%.

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ok so im not sure how i would get that much fat onto my plate. what would it be. what do you have as your fat