LCHF diet advice

algarvedave

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I can see that there's a lot of protein. I think there are two issues: the whey and the fish. I'd stop the whey for sure. It's not really good for you. It's something weight lifters eat when they are trying to bulk up their muscles. Maybe instead of fish eat some red meat sometimes, but not lean red meat.

Right now your at around 65% fat, 30% protein, and 5% carb based on calories, which is not bad. I think if you stopped the whey and replaced that with some extra butter and/or cheese and had some bacon instead of smoked salmon for breakfast, you be right where you should be.

Remember, fat has about 9 calories per gram and protein and carbs have about 4 cals per gram and most people look at macro percentages in terms of calories.

Also, I'd get rid of as much highly processed food as you can, like the low carb toast and soya milk as well.

Thanks for your reply.
I do not eat meat and haven't done for around 40 years so the bacon and red meat is a no go I am afraid.
The reason I am having whey protein ( very low carb version) is to try to prevent weight loss which I am desperate to avoid. When I was having tests for pancreatic problems a couple of years ago my doc recommended high protein drinks to try to get some weight on me.
The reason for the soya milk was as a base for the whey smoothie instead of milk to keep the carbs down. I don't particularly like it.
I am happy to ditch them and the toast, hopefully it's makes a difference.

P.S. Any suggestions on how to get more calories in per day without increasing my protein or carb intake?

Last edited:

algarvedave

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I was given all those tests for pancreatic cancer and pancreatitis.
I have always been relatively healthy all my life. I just have RH!
All my symptoms were asymptomatic of RH!
As @NoCarbsForMe has given you good suggestions, I know you are vegetarian, there are good alternatives to the whey and low carb bread, they could be too much, unless you have tested for them.
I take a drug called irbesarten for my kidney protection, I have been on these meds for about twenty years.
You're not on statins are you?
It is about finding the right balance tho!

Hi, no I am not on any drugs whatsoever. The only thing I am taking at the moment is anti histamine (hay fever starts early here )
What would you suggest instead of low carb bread? I find eating more butter and cheese easier if i have something with a crunch to put them on.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your reply.
I do not eat meat and haven't done for around 40 years so the bacon and red meat is a no go I am afraid.
The reason I am having whey protein ( very low carb version) is to try to prevent weight loss which I am desperate to avoid. When I was having tests for pancreatic problems a couple of years ago my doc recommended high protein drinks to try to get some weight on me.
The reason for the soya milk was as a base for the whey smoothie instead of milk to keep the carbs down. I don't particularly like it.
I too looked at whey protein shakes for same reason you did, but my research showed that it is not recommended for diabetics unless they are body building,

Soya products too are similarly problematic for diabetics, but may be necessery if you have lactose intolerance or are true vegan. I learned to use carb intake vs fat increase to control how I go into or out of keto mode and thus control my weight.

It might be worthwhile investigating the possibility of overactive thyroid, since this can also cause weight issues.

There is a school of thought that our bodies have a setpoint weight target built in like a thermostat, and this will cause the body to auto tune to that setpoint by overriding our efforts to defeat it. So lowereing energy input = body lowers metabolism to compensate. I believe this is the thought that drives intermittent fasting which is a possible means or resetting this setpoint. Reading up about Jason Fung may also be a productive line to research.

Attachments

• weight2017.pdf
    171.7 KB · Views: 223
Reactions: algarvedave

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Thanks for your reply.

P.S. Any suggestions on how to get more calories in per day without increasing my protein or carb intake?
You should check out the LCHF vegetarian forums on this site. I only eat meat, dairy and eggs, so I don't think I can be much help.

AdamReading

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your reply.

I don't know if this will help you, but I'm doing complete meal replacement to lose weight, and I use a mix of Huel, 90% Pure Protein Isolate and Desiccated coconut for fat. This bumps up the calories without increasing carbs or protein and the saturated fat in the coconut isn't supposed to be harmful like animal fats.

My recipe is 48gms Huel, 30gms fine desiccated coconut and 22gms of a flavoured bulk powders 90% pure whey isolate. (I have lots of different flavours for variety.) I use 400ml of water to make each shake in a blender along with a little ice.

Huel 48gms = 193kcal
Desiccated coconut 30gms = 190kcal
Pure whey Isolate chocolate peanut flavour 22gms = 84kcal

So I take 3 shakes a day at 1400 total calories. But you could just add any number of shakes to your current regime to add balanced calories....

Huel is vegan friendly and they also offer a gluten free option.

Bulk powders also sell vegan pure protein isolates.

I hope this helps...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know if this will help you, but I'm doing complete meal replacement to lose weight, and I use a mix of Huel, 90% Pure Protein Isolate and Desiccated coconut for fat. This bumps up the calories without increasing carbs or protein and the saturated fat in the coconut isn't supposed to be harmful like animal fats.

My recipe is 48gms Huel, 30gms fine desiccated coconut and 22gms of a flavoured bulk powders 90% pure whey isolate. (I have lots of different flavours for variety.) I use 400ml of water to make each shake in a blender along with a little ice.

Huel 48gms = 193kcal

So I take 3 shakes a day at 1400 total calories. But you could just add any number of shakes to your current regime to add balanced calories....

I hope this helps...
Please be aware of the advice from the Mayo Clinic, who are reknowned diabetes researchers. There are many avisos affecting use of Whey protein and diabetes. Most of the medications I use are contraindicated.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/whey-protein/safety/hrb-20060532

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Huel 48gms = 193kcal

I hope this helps...
Animal fats are not harmful except in extreme circumstances.
Having saturated fats in your diet is good for you.
It is trans fats and vegetable fats you have to be wary of.
Having concentrations of any food shakes is not advisable.

Fresh food is always better wether you are vegan, carnivore or omnivore!

Especially for those who are hypoglycaemic!

algarvedave

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been away for over a week and whilst I have found it a little difficult to keep as strictly to my LCHF diet as when at home I definitely feel better.
The permanent heaviness in my legs and lack of energy have both gone and the night leg cramps are less of a problem.
They haven't gone altogether but most nights I am cramp free.
I started taking one multivitamin tablet per day around a week ago so maybe that is the reason.
I stopped the whey powder protein smoothie.

My daily carb intake has also risen a little from below 30 g per day to around 40g per day. ( some days higher as I was weak and had a couple of small beers )
Whilst I have tried to keep my protein intake down I do find it creeping up a little and is still well over 1g per kilo of my weight but I feel that I am settling into the diet and I am still keeping total control of my BS levels.
No hypo since the beginning of March

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been away for over a week and whilst I have found it a little difficult to keep as strictly to my LCHF diet as when at home I definitely feel better.
The permanent heaviness in my legs and lack of energy have both gone and the night leg cramps are less of a problem.
They haven't gone altogether but most nights I am cramp free.
I started taking one multivitamin tablet per day around a week ago so maybe that is the reason.
I stopped the whey powder protein smoothie.

My daily carb intake has also risen a little from below 30 g per day to around 40g per day. ( some days higher as I was weak and had a couple of small beers )
Whilst I have tried to keep my protein intake down I do find it creeping up a little and is still well over 1g per kilo of my weight but I feel that I am settling into the diet and I am still keeping total control of my BS levels.
No hypo since the beginning of March

That's great Dave!
The longer you stay away from those hypos, the better you feel.
I can see your trial and error in the low carb is you guessing what you can find out! Always aim to do better and find better ways to offset the hyper and hypo.
The smoothie idea is always something that I have always advised because of the concentration of certain foods that will always give you too much glucose or sugars.

Best wishes

Reactions: algarvedave