LCHF diet question.....

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat burgen & have no probs with when eaten with fry up or cheese & peanut butter toasties. It's good for you so if you want to eat it you go ahead. It's only when you have it with carby stuff it just adds to the glucose level.

Even if it is fine for you there are enough carbs in a slice of Burgen to spike others' blood sugar.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So....vit90 do you limit carbs per meal? I was looking at it over a daily intake.

For instance, this morning I had 1 breakfast mushroom, 2 scrambled eggs, with a little cheese, lunch was my soup and bread, dinner was roast chicken and roast veggies - red pepper, mushrooms, courgette and tomatoes, oh and 4 oat cakes when I came home from work, I was ravenous....
Can I make a suggestion, most of what you had was fine but can I suggest swapping the oatcakes for say ryvita maybe, as oatcakes are not good for the glucose level. Funny but they are almost as bad as pure glucose for some reason. Plus ryvita taste better & are more filling.

Reactions: 2 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So....vit90 do you limit carbs per meal? I was looking at it over a daily intake.

For instance, this morning I had 1 breakfast mushroom, 2 scrambled eggs, with a little cheese, lunch was my soup and bread, dinner was roast chicken and roast veggies - red pepper, mushrooms, courgette and tomatoes, oh and 4 oat cakes when I came home from work, I was ravenous....

Yes of course, as I said I carb count everything. This evening had a three egg omelette with some sliced mushrooms and onion cooked in butter - about 500 calories and under 5g carbs. For lunch I made a cream of mushroom and garlic soup from basic ingredients - 300 calories and around 15g carbs.

Remember one problem with carbs, like the oat cakes, is that they sustain hunger. Eat carbs and you will be hungry again relatively soon. Low carb high fat/protein meals satisfy hunger for longer.

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol @vit90 I doubt you missed much!! Lots of choice there.

I actually put 2 very small potatoes on my plate last night, but didn't eat them - I just couldn't.

I think of all my meals I find breakfast the hardest to deal with, but I will deal with it. I'm very lucky in that there are very few foods I'll not eat - probably why I'm here in the first place.
You are obviously putting your heart and soul into this vit90, and it's working for you. I only hope I have the same success.

Reactions: 7 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Even if it is fine for you there are enough carbs in a slice of Burgen to spike others' blood sugar.
Depends on what it's eaten with. You can change the GL when fats etc are added so less likely to spike, you just get a steady flow instead of a large rise.
We are all different & what may spike one doesn't someone else. There is nothing I eat that I'm not out of 2 or less from my pre meal reading & most my 1hr readings are no more than 3 above my pre meal.

Reactions: 4 people

Tm6t7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@MissPooh wait til you get the book...honestly, it'll make a lot more sense (and give you the encouragement you deserve) :)

Reactions: 5 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We are all individuals and have different tolerances to carbs - I can eat 2 s!ices of burgen or hovis seeded sensations bread with little or no affect on my BS but I'm well aware that others cannot therefore the only way to decide what you can/cannot eat is to test. For people new to carb counting this is very much trial and error but they will eventually manage to find their own regime.

Reactions: 10 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We are all individuals and have different tolerances to carbs - I can eat 2 s!ices of burgen or hovis seeded sensations bread with little or no affect on my BS but I'm well aware that others cannot therefore the only way to decide what you can/cannot eat is to test. For people new to carb counting this is very much trial and error but they will eventually manage to find their own regime.
Yup, & that is how it should be explained & not telling them they can't have it.
We have to find out what we can have that doesn't have a big affect on glucose levels.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi Daphne, I hope you don't mind me asking, but when you say you can have 2 slices of the Burgen or Seed sensations which is the bread I have, I can only manage 1 slice, I was managing 2 slices quite happily, until I tested on the hour, and I was up in the late 8s. I have now tried this several times and although I maybe, say 5.6 before eating then nearly 9 on the hour but back down to maybe 6.4 on the 2hr. I'm not happy with such a spike, I would be interested to know if have you have tested on the hour and what are you eating with the two slices.
Neil

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Why do nursing homes have a lot more ladies than men in them .
My mate and me were asking this point straight after Christmas
noticing this fact .

Ladies appear to really outlive the men in them
Made us both wonder about why? how? this is .
Wondered about their diets and activities etc .
They DO appear to eat less in nursing homes also .

I think it's got more to do with men of nursing home age worked hard in heavy manual jobs and women didn't. A lot of them lived very unhealthy lives too.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Daphne, I hope you don't mind me asking, but when you say you can have 2 slices of the Burgen or Seed sensations which is the bread I have, I can only manage 1 slice, I was managing 2 slices quite happily, until I tested on the hour, and I was up in the late 8s. I have now tried this several times and although I maybe, say 5.6 before eating then nearly 9 on the hour but back down to maybe 6.4 on the 2hr. I'm not happy with such a spike, I would be interested to know if have you have tested on the hour and what are you eating with the two slices.
Neil
I used to test at 1, 2 and 3 hour mark and usually rose by 2.5 at the hour point but down to a rise of 1.0 at the 3 hour point. I don't tend to test bread now as I'm happy that I can tolerate it - although I will occasionally just for reassurance. I usually have cheese or ham with onion, lettuce, tomato and cucumber in it. I also have 2 slices with fried, poached or scrambled eggs for breakfast at wekends or sometimes with pate for a quick tea. I don't always eat the crusts though! I find that I can also tolerate hot oat cereal with added oatbran for breakfast so I may have a higher carb threshold than some.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup, & that is how it should be explained & not telling them they can't have it.
We have to find out what we can have that doesn't have a big affect on glucose levels.

And just as important don't tell people the CAN have it, eh?

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to test at 1, 2 and 3 hour mark and usually rose by 2.5 at the hour point but down to a rise of 1.0 at the 3 hour point. I don't tend to test bread now as I'm happy that I can tolerate it - although I will occasionally just for reassurance. I usually have cheese or ham with onion, lettuce, tomato and cucumber in it. I also have 2 slices with fried, poached or scrambled eggs for breakfast at wekends or sometimes with pate for a quick tea. I don't always eat the crusts though! I find that I can also tolerate hot oat cereal with added oatbran for breakfast so I may have a higher carb threshold than some.

Thank's Daphne, 2.5 on the hour I would find more than acceptable, I can take the fried bread 2 slices, but 1 slice for everything else, Even tried a very overfilled sandwich of Tuna & Mayo with lots of butter, but no go.

Have not tried the porridge, as I have never liked it, but the cereals Muesli, Granola sends me way up, so I only are able to sprinkle it over Yogurt.

Neil

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's funny I can eat 2 slices of bread @ 28 carbs with little or no effect but when I tried a Warburton's W/meal Thin @ 20 carbs with exactly the same filling my BS shot up. I've tried it again and still got the same result so Thins are off the menu for me.

Reactions: 5 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank's Daphne, 2.5 on the hour I would find more than acceptable, I can take the fried bread 2 slices, but 1 slice for everything else, Even tried a very overfilled sandwich of Tuna & Mayo with lots of butter, but no go.

Have not tried the porridge, as I have never liked it, but the cereals Muesli, Granola sends me way up, so I only are able to sprinkle it over Yogurt.

Neil
2.5 is acceptable on 1hr for me also even 3, over that & would think again on what was eat, but on most of what I eat I don't even reach 2.5.
Tested the 30g dry porridge this morn made with milk & sweetener,
B4 6.1, 1hr 8.4, 2hr 5.2, only a 2.3 rise at 1hr. Suits me fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

caliban

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Speeding drivers, they put us all in danger. Guitar players with sqeaky fingers. All i can hear is the **** sqeaks and I turn off.
Marks and Spencers 97% pork chipolatas, yummy, if you're looking for a good sausage.

Deskdoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
And it's probably more affordable, much as I like M&S can only shop there on high days and holidays