Lchf diet

katie505

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Not sure what my blood sugars should be. I started in this diet, still learning what I can eat and have a meter, accu check mobile. My blood sugars are all over the place but never lower than 4.7 and the highest was 13 with a slice of wholemeal toast and 10.3 with porridge. Only 2 high ones. All the rest havnt come above 7.9 in 6 weeks. My hb1ca test was 96 8 weeks ago. Is this good or not? Don’t really understand it all. Sometimes my blood test is lower 2 hours after eating, especially omelette with bacon and mushrooms. Only by .2 or so though. Help! Is this okay? Xxx

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you are eating well within range with your meter as a guide.

And yes wholemeal toast and porridge does spike for many of us, no matter how nutritious they may appear to be...not sure if those nutrients are worth the spikes...

katie505

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sounds like you are eating well within range with your meter as a guide.

And yes wholemeal toast and porridge does spike for many of us, no matter how nutritious they may appear to be...not sure if those nutrients are worth the spikes...

Thanks. I didn’t touch the bread or porridge again. Just didn’t know if the ranges were okay or not. Someone told me they should be below 5 so I was panicking a bit as I don’t want meds. Thanks again

Reactions: kokhongw

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My HbA1c was 98 on diagnosis, four months later and it was 43. So, keep up the good work with testing and learning which foods spike you. By the way, my lowest ever reading was 4.9 so do not panic about keeping below 5 at this time just concentrate on the ranges. Good luck.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are working on it and there is some experimentation at the beginning. It is good that you are using a meter. I don't, which means I just relied on a list of pretty-much "forbidden foods" which worked fine for me (see signature below).

It is confusing at the beginning but gets easier over time. Best wishes!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Someone told me they should be below 5 so I was panicking a bit as I don’t want meds.

That is not completely true. A 5.0-8.0 mmol range is perfectly acceptable. Although something magical does seems to happen around 4.6 mmol and slightly lower...

And although many of us aim to be med free, they may be necessary and helpful in many situations as we move on in years. We just need to make the best choices available to us.