LCHF do's and dont's

spaxman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
New to the LCHF diet! I know berries are cool but what about strawberries? Also, tomatoes?

Thank you all

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
New to the LCHF diet! I know berries are cool but what about strawberries? Also, tomatoes?

Thank you all

Yes to both in small doses. Best bet is to use your meter to tell you whether you can tolerate them, and how much.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do's = Don't eat Potatoes, Bread, Rice, Pasta or starchy stuff

Don'ts = Take it too seriously. It's so simple, even an idiot like me can manage it.

And don't keep pricking your fingers. 99% of the time it will only tell you what you already knew.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @spaxman

Many people find that they can eat berries - including strawberries - in small quantities, but others find they cannot. I would suggest that if you haven't already done so, you should invest in a glucose meter so that you can test before and after meals to see which things spike your blood sugar levels and which do not.

Ideally test immediately before you eat and again 2 hours after the first bite. You're aiming for a rise of no more than 2 mmols at the 2 hour mark. If the rise is more than that, try adjusting the portion size or cutting out the food entirely. If you make a note of what you eat alongside your blood glucose readings you will soon build up a picture of which foods are best to eat.

spaxman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do's = Don't eat Potatoes, Bread, Rice, Pasta or starchy stuff

Don'ts = Take it too seriously. It's so simple, even an idiot like me can manage it.

And don't keep pricking your fingers. 99% of the time it will only tell you what you already knew.

Many thanks mate

Reactions: Freema

spaxman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @spaxman

Many people find that they can eat berries - including strawberries - in small quantities, but others find they cannot. I would suggest that if you haven't already done so, you should invest in a glucose meter so that you can test before and after meals to see which things spike your blood sugar levels and which do not.

Ideally test immediately before you eat and again 2 hours after the first bite. You're aiming for a rise of no more than 2 mmols at the 2 hour mark. If the rise is more than that, try adjusting the portion size or cutting out the food entirely. If you make a note of what you eat alongside your blood glucose readings you will soon build up a picture of which foods are best to eat.

Thank you. I will be getting a metre tomorrow. Any suggestions on where to get one? And is it just a glucose metre I need?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I will be getting a metre tomorrow. Any suggestions on where to get one? And is it just a glucose metre I need?

Hi @spaxman

Would suggest you start here:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood_glucose_monitor_guide.html

When buying a meter it's a good idea to check out the cost of the strips as these are the biggest expense. Many people use either the SD Codefree or the Tee2 meters as they have the cheapest strips. Both are available online:

Codefree - https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

You want the one that measures in mmols. There are discount codes for ordering strips in bulk (it's not easy to spot where to put them, so check as you follow the checkout process)

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Tee2 - http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

For either, make sure you check the box to say you are diabetic so that you don't have to pay VAT

spaxman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @spaxman

Would suggest you start here:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood_glucose_monitor_guide.html

When buying a meter it's a good idea to check out the cost of the strips as these are the biggest expense. Many people use either the SD Codefree or the Tee2 meters as they have the cheapest strips. Both are available online:

Codefree - https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

You want the one that measures in mmols. There are discount codes for ordering strips in bulk (it's not easy to spot where to put them, so check as you follow the checkout process)

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Tee2 - http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

For either, make sure you check the box to say you are diabetic so that you don't have to pay VAT

Thank you very much

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
there really aren´t many carbs in tomatoes so you can eat them instead of fruit..

but two essentials are to keep ones carbs all in all low mostly under 100 grams a day and preferably shared over more meals to avoid the high spikes

well untill you are incontrol DO MEASURE your blood glucose every morning and right before a meal and 1 our after and 2 hours after to to see if you spike too much; which is preferably not more than 2 mmols over the level before the meal, and the levels before and between meals should be as low as possible like around 5-6.5 mmol , that can be hard untill you really get your foods sorted and learn to avoid all the foods that spikes blood glucoce a lot

spaxman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
there really aren´t many carbs in tomatoes so you can eat them instead of fruit..

but two essentials are to keep ones carbs all in all low mostly under 100 grams a day and preferably shared over more meals to avoid the high spikes

well untill you are incontrol DO MEASURE your blood glucose every morning and right before a meal and 1 our after and 2 hours after to to see if you spike too much; which is preferably not more than 2 mmols over the level before the meal, and the levels before and between meals should be as low as possible like around 5-6.5 mmol , that can be hard untill you really get your foods sorted and learn to avoid all the foods that spikes blood glucoce a lot

Thank you that's really helpful