LCHF success stories from type 1's

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I created this thread as a place for fellow type 1 diabetics to share their success stories on the LCHF diet. I know there is a similar thread on the low carb forum but I found that most of the responses were from type 2's, so I thought it'd be nice to have a specific place for us to share experiences and hopefully inspire and learn from each other!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi bellabella - I have been doing LCHF for a year and my BGs mostly meander in the rage between 4-8 mmol/l and I am using less insulin. Last HbA1c was 5.6 so I'm happy.

Reactions: 7 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started low carbing proper last year, though my diet has never been high in carbs as carb control was the advice given to me at diagnosis. Plus from childhood I've been a veggie which limited the carbs anyway on a mainly vegetable diet.

I did eat bread in small amounts, ditto potatoes but disregarded " hidden" carbs, and it's those I cracked down on. My current carb intake is 30 g per day, and never above 50g. No hardship whatsoever :)

My insulin use is way down and my last A1c was 43 . Overall, my control is a lot better .

Great idea for a thread @bellabella :happy:

Signy

Reactions: 5 people

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for putting this up! I posted recently about trying out the low carb to get better control over my BG and I've bought myself a low carb cookery book which I plan to put into effect next week! Will keep an eye on this thread to see what everyone had to say :) oh and I'm type 1 as well x

Reactions: 4 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I've been low carbing almost since diagnosis. I was fortunate enough to be recommended the Diabetes solution by Dr. Bernstein within in days of my diagnosis and have followed it ever since. Low carbing certainly keeps my BS in check for the best results you also need a good exercise program. My last 1AC was 5 % , hoping to get in the 4 % club next month :)

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I apologise for butting in since I am a type 2 but I am interested in this subject. I once read a letter from an Australian woman whose son was low carbing. She said that he needed less insulin and made fewer errors which is a bonus.

I told my nurse about this and she said that a problem with this is that low carbing causes weight loss and many of her type 1 patients were too thin already.

While you are giving your success stories can I ask if you would comment about your weight and how you manage it then I will have some information to tell my nurse.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I apologise for butting in since I am a type 2 but I am interested in this subject. I once read a letter from an Australian woman whose son was low carbing. She said that he needed less insulin and made fewer errors which is a bonus.

I told my nurse about this and she said that a problem with this is that low carbing causes weight loss and many of her type 1 patients were too thin already.

While you are giving your success stories can I ask if you would comment about your weight and how you manage it then I will have some information to tell my nurse.
My weight is exactly the same as it was a year ago (67 kilos) although I seem to have a bit less fat and more muscle.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
No weight issues after 2.5 years or more of low carb for me normally around the 90 kg mark (i'm 1.95 m tall). In fact I gained a kilo in last week when I had a week off work.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That went well. Just the five of you then,
Give us a chance, Squire ! ;):D
It seems to me that many Type 1's who were given the advice to " Eat What You Like and Bolus For It " have had issues with weight gain, not loss .

My weight has been stable more or less , but I've always had restricted carbs , before switching to LCHF ( to control my BG levels even better ) When I switched to LCHF I initially lost a couple of kilos but that could also be due to it being a particularly busy time. It's been stable since :)

I am 5'7 .5 (that half inch is important in family pack order lol ) and currently weigh 9st 3 .

Signy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems to me that many Type 1's who were given the advice to " Eat What You Like and Bolus For It " have had issues with weight gain, not loss .

The fascinating bit is when you low carb, why don't you lose weight because T2's report weight loss when they get their diet sorted.

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been low carbing since November. My levels have gone from 7.5 to 5.7 and I've lost three stone. I'm not really missing the carby stuff x

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
...I told my nurse about this and she said that a problem with this is that low carbing causes weight loss and many of her type 1 patients were too thin already.
I can confirm that a high carb diet causes me to gain weight consistently.

Challenge some of the bases of this nurse's argument:

- there are plenty of T1s who are too fat. Exhibit: me. Over the "obese" threshhold for BMI (just).
- weight loss therefore often a good thing
- if weight loss were to become a problem, it is a **** sight easier to correct than weight gain!

This stereotype pisses me off actually. It is why no one will give me any of the weight loss drugs approved for Type 2s, even though I am an obese T1 and the treatments work fine on T1s. You think obesity is a CVD risk, try obesity on a T1 diabetic! Ridiculous logic these doctors use at times.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The fascinating bit is when you low carb, why don't you lose weight because T2's report weight loss when they get their diet sorted.
It's not so much fascinating as just logical.

First of all, all weight reducing diets eventually stabilise at a weight where the basal demand equals the calorie input. Old Skule cals in = cals out stuff.

But second of all, LCHF is smarter than Old Skule. In fact it gives Old Skule a wedgie and steals its lunch money. LCHF is self regulating and has no nutrient restrictions except carbs. So LCHF people eat what they want, without addictive scoffing of carbs, and get just what their bodies need, no more no less.

Reactions: 7 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Possibly because I was on a restricted carb diet in the first place, a result of family eating habits and restricted carb Type 1 dietary advice . To me it's not rocket science that if you match insulin to fewer carbs instead of the" Plenty of carbs " ( therefore more insulin ) advice then you need less insulin and are less likely to gain weight.

So maybe the answer is because I don't low carb for weight loss, and made up the slight calorie deficit by replacing it with fat my intake is about the same so no weight loss and improved BG levels . Much as has already been said by @Spiker

Signy

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes @Heathenlass makes a good point. Many (not all) of the T2s are deliberately using LCHF for weight loss. T1s are generally using it primarily for better blood glucose control, not for weight loss.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can confirm that a high carb diet causes me to gain weight consistently.

Challenge some of the bases of this nurse's argument:

- there are plenty of T1s who are too fat. Exhibit: me. Over the "obese" threshhold for BMI (just).
- weight loss therefore often a good thing
- if weight loss were to become a problem, it is a **** sight easier to correct than weight gain!

This stereotype pisses me off actually. It is why no one will give me any of the weight loss drugs approved for Type 2s, even though I am an obese T1 and the treatments work fine on T1s. You think obesity is a CVD risk, try obesity on a T1 diabetic! Ridiculous logic these doctors use at times.

Yes, is IS a stereotype , and unfair. There are plenty of overweight Type 1's and for many the finger of blame should be pointed at the equally illogical NHS dietary advice given to Type 1's nowadays. In effect , you are told to "feed" your insulin with starchy carbohydrates :rolleyes: . Obviously not everyone gains weight on this probably due to their own preferences in carb choices . But if you do , it's the person that gets the blame and mostly it's left to the individual to rectify .

But you raise an excellent point , if a Type 1 needs medical assistance to lose weight, and what is available is suitable, why not ?

Btw, apologies for the bold type above , it's not especially for emphasis, it's the bleeping tablet playing up again :banghead:

Signy

Fat max

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I creates this thread as a place for fellow type 1 diabetics to share their success stories on the LCHF diet. I know there is a similar thread on the low carb forum but I found that most of the responses were from type 2's, so I thought it'd be nice to have a specific place for us to share experiences and hopefully inspire and learn from each other!
Hi , what does the HF stand for, is it High Fat or Fibre and could you advise me how to start? Eg how many carbs per day and who is Dr Bernstein and is there a recommended diet plan I can follow?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I creates this thread as a place for fellow type 1 diabetics to share their success stories on the LCHF diet. I know there is a similar thread on the low carb forum but I found that most of the responses were from type 2's, so I thought it'd be nice to have a specific place for us to share experiences and hopefully inspire and learn from each other!
To officially report in:

When I do LCHF I see significant improvements in average BG, variation of BG, HBa1c, mood, energy, appetite, body weight. These improvements are not seen with other diets or other techniques. Compliance with LCHF is easy, easier by far than other diets. Maintenance of good BG is easy, vs very hard (for me) on standard dietician advice for T1s.

I have all my numbers somewhere if you want.