LCHF

TERRYBURGE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was just wondering if you are on a LCHF diet for type 1 diabetes, what do you call low carbs? Is it just a maximum of carbs you have in a day & what type of carbs is it? Thanks

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just wondering if you are on a LCHF diet for type 1 diabetes, what do you call low carbs? Is it just a maximum of carbs you have in a day & what type of carbs is it? Thanks
By definition, <130g CHO per day is LC.

What type of carbohydrates you choose to consume is entirely up to you. There are some carbohydrates that are better than others with regards to how they impact your BG. The GI scale is a good starting point, although it's not all that helpful given that we tend to not eat carbs in isolation at mealtimes. Snacks, possibly.

You can play with your macros at meal times to do nifty things like offset BG spikes by altering your fat/protein content. Although, that is going past you initial question so I'm basically blabbering.

Is a low carb diet something you'd wish to undertake? If it is, can I ask why?

Reactions: novorapidboi26

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TERRYBURGE I don't follow a LHCF diet by any means, but I do enjoy the odd low carb meal. Fish/chicken with veg is a good example.
Salmon with a tray of roast veg from the supermarket, or homemade "Hunter's-but-not-really" chicken, just a chicken fillet stuffed with Philadelphia and wrapped in bacon, again with veg. My mum likes experimenting with potato alternatives, believe it or not cauliflower mash actually works, so long as it's mixed with lots of butter ha!
Things like potatoes/bread/pasta are very high in carbs, so if you're after a LCHF lifestyle I'd try avoiding those to start with. I've started eating lots of nuts to curb my carby snack cravings - nuts are high in fat and protein, but I was surprised to learn how few carbs there are in a portion of plain cashew nuts!). Carrot sticks and hummus works too, as long as it's not a sweet chilli hummus or something.
Do you carb count? There's loads of apps for it which help figure out what meals to have, how many carbs are in a portion, with pictures to help etc :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The <130g a day figure is certianly the standard I've generally seen quoted too. I believe it's related to the carbs that we're supposed to need to feed our brains.

Robbity