LEARNING THE HARD WAY

AITCH

I have only been on insulin for a couple of weeks and am new to all of this. Went out and drunk far to many beers last night........then woosh, dinner time today my reading dropped to 4.8 from 14.8 in the morning.Its the lowest reading I have ever had since to date never been below 12. Eat loads of fruit etc but was a good 20mins before I felt better. I suppose there is a good reason not to drink too much then !

jopar

Depending on what you had been drinking and/or eating will have carbs in them which would have kept you going through the night....

The problem with alcohol, is that while the liver is processing this it can't store any glucose or trickle it into your system... Normal going the background (long acting) insulin that you inject (unless you are using a premixed insulin) deals with the glucose that come off the liver..

When and after drinking, you need to remember that this can lead to a nasty hypo, as there is no glucose in the liver to dump into the system until all the alcohol has been processed which on adverage is around a hour to process 1 unit of alcohol, and because there no glucose being tricedled into the system, the background insulin will work on eaten carbs...

So it is a case of knowing your limits, knowing when you how long you are at a increased danger of hypo, and ensure that you eat slow acting carbs before going to bed, increase BG monitoring to ensure you know what is happening..

Another wise bit, if you are drinking make sure that you are drinking with friends and/or family who can help to keep a eye on you

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi AITCH,

Just a couple of points, but alcohol does tend to temporarily paralyse the liver so that BG will tend to fall due to a lack of gluconeogenesis.

But 4.8 is a normal, non-diabetic blood sugar level! If you're running at double figures on a regular basis you should give some thought to getting this down before it does you permanent harm. Maybe the beers have done you a favour!

All the best,

fergus

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Aitch, I agree with most things said here . 4.8 is not hypo, it 's normal but that drop was too much overnight and was possibly to do with the alcohol. It happens to many of us from time to time but is potentialy dangerous. Your liver may not help you out
I normally have reasonably good control and go to bed with BS of around 5 and wake at about 4.5, but Boxing day evening, after drinking a bit more than normal I went to bed with BS nearer 6 and woke at 3am with a level of 2.1. That did need treating . However, I didn't need to eat 'loads'. A small amount of very fast acting carbs will raise BS quickly. If you eat everything in sight, you risk rising too high and then need to correct . Some people end up overcorrectin and then yo yo between high and low.

Most fruit (except dates) work too slowly to raise your BS quickly. You would be better to use some dextrose tablets (15gms of carbs worth is normally suggested but may be more or less depending on your metabolism-.) ,one of those small boxes of fruit juice (grape is good) or a small amount (100-150 ml) of coke or lucozade. Wait 15 minutes, then test again. If your BS is not rising,(this will depend on your own experience, but I only need to see evidence that its rising fairly quickly) then you might need to take a little more glucose. After you've treated the hypo, If its some time until your next meal, you might want to eat some slow acting carbs or carbs + a small amount of protein.... thats when you could eat a piece of fruit or half a sandwich or half a cereal bar.(whatever you fancy and works for you)

Its a huge learning processs. You're only just starting on insulin. (and if you're type 1, then you may be still honeymooning and everything is less predictable). Honestly,for most people, things do get easier.

AITCH

Thanks you both for the solid advice. It has taught me a lesson since although told you shouldn't binge its hard to change life style so suddenly and thought the odd session would be ok......I know different now !!

I have been told to up my insulin now to 18 in the morning and 16 before dinner and have had glucose readings of around 12, except for 16 this morning. After only been on insulin for a couple of weeks I probably expected instant results but like I say it seems learning the hard way. Find this site extemley usefull in picking up lots of info.

AITCH

Happy New Year to you all.

Have just had my first day with 4 readings of Glucose under 10 for since I started testing in October ! Readings were 9.9,9.7,9.8 and 6.7. So was quietly pleased that at least seemingly insulin is beginning to have impact. Was back up to 9.3 this morning before breakfast but believe from other thread that going up in morning is normal......forgive the pun. Still have blurred close vision and feeling tired but got to be optomistic that it can only improve from now .......unless those of you with experience know better ??