Lemons

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reading on another thread and noting the carb content of lemons 6.9 for 100 grams of raw juice I wondered if the fact that I have my tea with a slice of lemon and being a Lancashire lass I drink a lot of tea !It would be worth thinking of the carbs in my tea
CAROL

zbluebirdz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is about 5-8 grams of carbs per lemon. If you cut the lemon into 6 slices, it is about 1 gram of carbs per slice. BTW, you'd be having 8.5% of your recommended daily Vitamin C (per slice).

Reactions: Prem51
S

Sean01

The GI load is quite low too. I have about 5-6 lemons a day at the moment - for vit c, managing kidney stones and just as a flavour in water - I need to drink a lot of water. Lemons help

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@carty: Carol maybe whether you count them or not might depend on how low carb/strict you are and how much of a lemon or how many you'd get through a day? A lemon's worth of carbs may be a significant percentage if you are on just 20g carbs a day, but something you could manage nicely on say 50g. But as has already been stated you'd also be getting some vitamin C, so you could count them as essential/healthy carbs regardless! :D

I regularly use lemon and lime juice and zest in my cooking and baking but since the actual amount I have per day is fairly insignificant I don't bother about it. Instead I try to allow for a few carbs worth of leeway in my overall daily consumption, to cover things such as herbs, spices, flavouring, and the odd carbs in food, e.g dairy, that I don't generally think about. As long as my glucose levels are OK and stable I'm happy, and I'd sooner have a few extra carbs if I believe I benefit in any way from them...

Robbity

Reactions: ickihun

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
And the interesting fact about lemons is that they lower the GI of any meal that they are used with. So, a win, win situation I'd say!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't actually eat the lemons they just flavour the tea co really I don't know how much of the juice I drink each day but obviously minimum carbs .It would be interesting to see the difference between milk in tea and lemon
CAROL

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
And the interesting fact about lemons is that they lower the GI of any meal that they are used with. So, a win, win situation I'd say!
Remind me again. How?