Libre & iOS compatibility almost here

figster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
See below for confirmation from Abbott that an App is currently being worked on for iOS 11 users after I contacted them last week.

Dear Mr. Finnerty,

Thank you for you contacting LibreLink Support UK.

Please be kindly informed that AirStrip is currently working on introducing the LibreLink App to iOS.

All the updates will be visible on our website at https://www.librelink.com/en .

In case of any questions, please feel free to contact us again on 0800 6123006 or by email on [email protected]-serv.com.

Yours sincerely,

Customer LibreLink Advisor.
Abbott Diabetes Care – on behalf of AirStrip

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Libre Support, I am a Libre CGM user. It’s an excellent device but being and iPhone owner (running iOS11) the libre link App for it would amazingly helpful. My question is is there plans to now develop it for iOS devices? Thanks, Tony

Reactions: RFSMarch

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Worth noting that this won't be available on all iPhones that are upgradeable to iOS 11 - Apple have only made the NFC reader available to iOS 11 on iPhone 7, 8 and X.

figster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutely correct Tim. You will need to have the hardware capabilities found in the 7,8 and X

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@figster , to pass the time while Airstrip do their stuff, Ambrosia Systems makes a small bluetooth transmitter called a Blucon Nightrider which sits on top of libre and sends results every five minutes to their own app, linkblucon, which has android and iOS versions.
https://www.ambrosiasys.com

However, that app (only tried it on android, don't have an iPhone) is extremely basic.

But I note that the guy in the link below is developing an iOS version of xDrip+ , and in the link, he's recently said that he's trying to get it to work with blucon:

https://github.com/JohanDegraeve/iosxdripreader/issues/13

Obviously, I don't know how far he's got with that or how reliable it is.

I've been using blucon with libre and xDrip+ on an android for a couple of weeks now, it's very good, so if his iOS version is any good and he's got it working with blucon, might be worth a punt - blucon is a one-off cost of £100 and gives you alerts and calibration which you simply won't get ever with librelink.

Reactions: figster

Bredsdorff

Absolutely correct Tim. You will need to have the hardware capabilities found in the 7,8 and X

Will it be sufficient to have an Apple Watch with NFC for scanning Freestyle Libre instead of an iPhone? So keeping the phone (iPhone 6) with the new app from Airstrip.

Regards
Henrik

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As I understand it you have NFC between sensor and blucon, and Bluetooth to the phone. So any Apple NFC deficiency is irrelevant.

Bredsdorff

Not sure what blucon is and might not understand you correctly. So does this mean that having NFC in Apple Watch will be sufficient for scanning and Bluetooth link to an iPhone will transfer data to the app?

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not an iOS user, bit as I understand it, there's difficulty accessing the NFC. But if you let blucon access the NFC and then it Bluetooths to the iPhone all is good. If you then choose to Bluetooth to a watch that should work too. You will be trail blazing though.

welchineo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I called the Abbott helpline yesterday to check on progress. The guy said the app would be out very soon. I asked would it be within 6 months and he said much sooner. More like weeks than months.

Reactions: Speedbird

Florence5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am thrilled to hear that as I am new to the Libre and feel the ability to use my I phone will be such an asset . You have just made my day

welchineo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And its arrived, search librelink on App store. It seems you can only start using it on a new sensor, not one already live with your reader.

Reactions: Speedbird

DanielBXL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And its arrived, search librelink on App store. It seems you can only start using it on a new sensor, not one already live with your reader.
I had 9 days left on my old patch but I was too exited to wait so I changed my patch this morning and it is fantastic to finally have an iPhone application that works and facilitates our lives! Now the next thing is a diary that retrieves the data from LibreLink where you can enter your carbohydrates and calculate your required bolus. I'm following mySugar as they told me from the support they are simply waiting for the release of the LibreLink app for iPhone to develop the interface but nutrino looks very interesting as well but only send a request today if they are planning on an integration of a bolus calculator as this would be an important feature for me. If one of you has any other suggestions please let me know :)

Wickiman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello lowaboy and RMSko,

I just have had contact with Abbott since I am in China, having the app but does not work with Chinese Sensors.
The app is only available in the following countries so far:

France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Sweden, Austria, The Nederlands, Switzerland, Portugal, Poland, Australia, Norway and Belgium

RMSko

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello lowaboy and RMSko,

I just have had contact with Abbott since I am in China, having the app but does not work with Chinese Sensors.
The app is only available in the following countries so far:

France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Sweden, Austria, The Nederlands, Switzerland, Portugal, Poland, Australia, Norway and Belgium
Thanks for the update. Did they give you a sense of the timing for any future releases?

MIQ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is superb on the iPhone , so easy and you don’t need a machine with you