Libre - Swings & Roundabouts

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Changed sensor this morning. As normal I activated it with the reader, not sure why, just what the Abbott rep recommended when I trialled it earlier this year. Anyway normal message, wait 60 minutes so I took the dog out.

Have tried fixing this one 2 days before as discussed in other threads. When I got back, I thought I'll do a prick test then wait 10 minutes. This took me to 80 or so minutes after activation. I got an error saying you have to match the phone within the 60 minutes. I have used about 10 sensors before and never had this. Must have just caught 59 minutes or something.

Anyway that's warning #1 for those like me who don't read the instructions.

I thought I'd ring Abbott to see if there was a way to fix it, but apparently not.

I couldn't face using the reader for two weeks, so I bit the bullet and downloaded Diabetes:M & Libre Sensor.

It works fine:), and not only that it's spot on with the prick test in initial tests. No calibration!

The App looks good too. Early days and loads of stuff to investigate. Will post more after subsequent tests.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have been using Diabetes:M for 24 hours now. Quite impressive app, maybe too feature rich, although I believe you can 'hide' stuff you don't want to see. Haven't discovered that yet.

Anyway the real issue is accuracy. I have taken enough comparison readings now to feel happy to rely on this app's scans. See below.

upload_2017-11-11_9-28-59.png

As I said in the previous post I left it too long to 'connect' my phone to the sensor with the LibreLink app, so I will have to use Diabetes:M or the reader. So I'll use Diabetes:M for the rest of the 2 weeks. However I will probably revert to LibreLink after I change sensor and live with the discrepancies. I just prefer the simplicity, my only wish would be for a search.

Finally, does anyone know if I can 'reconnect' my phone and LibreLink without losing any remaining time? I can't believe it isn't possible. It must be code in the app, as Diabetes:M happily reads it.

Edit:

One observation is that previously I have always read lower with the app than with prick tests. You will notice now that they are both reading higher. The only thing I can put that down to is I applied the sensor 2 days before activating it to see if it improved accuracy as has been reported. Dunno.

Am I right in thinking that some sort of calibration occurs as soon as it is applied regardless of when it is activated? This would explain why Abbott say readings will settle after the first 24 hours although I can't honestly say I'd seen that. I think that's maybe a bit of an urban myth.

Last edited: