Libre - will it really be on the NHS

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This week I spoke to my consultant and asked him about the Libre, I'm using the Dexcom but getting close to retirement and wondered if in a year or two I might move over to something like the Libre that the NHS would fund.

His reply was that Abbott had taken an extreme liberty implying that the Libre was available on the NHS. He explained that it was true that the product can be prescribed but that no regional NHS group has so far authorised funding for it. He also made the point that just a few days ago East Anglia felt the need to make a statement that they would NOT fund the Libre. He also mentioned that Abbott have not agreed any pricing levels with the NHS regions.

Saying that he did mention that although the NHS in my area has never given approval for these products so far for anyone, if there was a set of criteria in place for approval then it would be very unlikely that existing users would meet that criteria as their control would already have improved to the extent that they no longer meet it.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
My DSN (Kent) told me it will be available for some, but there will be tight criteria, probably those who appear to be losing hypo awareness and people who really need to improve control at first. Then she predicts it will filter though just like finger pricks did as Abbott have done all their research and shown improved control. That is just opinion though and could take a long time...

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think a lot of people may be disappointed if they expect they will get an NHS funded Libre come November.
Saying and doing are entirely different things.
In years to come things may change.

D

Diabeticliberty

My own GP and nurse had never even heard of the thing until I walked in wearing one. They asked about it and I gave them the pros and cons as I saw them when using it for my own management. They recently attempted to restrict the amount of finger prick testing equipment that they provide me on prescription. Their first suggestion that this was not on a cost basis but when I went and saw them face to face they did concede that they were conducting a practice wide analysis of all the stuff used by all of their patients with a view to saving money. With this in mind I don't see my own doctor prescribing Libre anytime in the next thousand years.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When I was first dx'd, I was using colour changing strips, was told they're "very expensive" so should cut them in half to get twice the amount, then meters came in and they were "very expensive" too. Libre is the new kid on the block and is "very expensive". It'll take time, but I reckon that once it settles in, libre will be as easy to get as strips, and everyone will be wondering why there was any debate about it. I imagine that when meters first came out, there was probably a lot of bean-counters saying, "no, colour changing strips are good enough - you can cut them in half!"

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I was first dx'd, I was using colour changing strips, was told they're "very expensive" so should cut them in half to get twice the amount, then meters came in and they were "very expensive" too. Libre is the new kid on the block and is "very expensive". It'll take time, but I reckon that once it settles in, libre will be as easy to get as strips, and everyone will be wondering why there was any debate about it. I imagine that when meters first came out, there was probably a lot of bean-counters saying, "no, colour changing strips are good enough - you can cut them in half!"
I remember my parents buying a little frame thing called a 'strip splitter', back in the 80s - every time we opened a new pot of strips we would put each one into the frame in turn, then bisect them with a Stanley knife!

Aaaaaah, memories, memories!

Not holding my breath for my getting access to the Libre on the NHS. Have tightened my belt - a lot - elsewhere to afford it so far, and I'll be continuing to do so. I'd love it to be provided to everyone as a matter of course but I don't see it happening in real life any time soon.

:)

Reactions: TIANDB

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I remember my parents buying a little frame thing called a 'strip splitter', back in the 80s - every time we opened a new pot of strips we would put each one into the frame in turn, then bisect them with a Stanley knife!

Aaaaaah, memories, memories!

Not holding my breath for my getting access to the Libre on the NHS. Have tightened my belt - a lot - elsewhere to afford it so far, and I'll be continuing to do so. I'd love it to be provided to everyone as a matter of course but I don't see it happening in real life any time soon.

I took a trip down memory lane a few months ago and bought a pack of Glucoflex-R from these guys:

http://www.mistrymedical.com/item/5634/glucoflex-r-blood-glucose-test-strips--pack-of-50---20-800-

I'd forgotten how much blood was needed compared to modern strips - practically an armful!

Still, the technology seems to have moved on - it's now only 30 seconds wait, wipe, 30 seconds wait, instead of a minute each time.

But I reckon the makers caught on to the cunning cutting in half ploy. They're much narrower so you'd need a microscope and a laser cutting device to split them now!

It brought back a lot of memories, waiting for a nice light blue and tan to appear.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I had a review with my consultant at the end of September and asked about the libre, he said the local CCG and the consultants were having a meeting at the begining of this month to discuss the matter. He told me that he thinks everyone using an Insulin Pump should have access to the Libre and to call phone up mid month to find out the results of this so keeping my fingers crossed as he did seem hopeful.

Reactions: Snapsy and Chas C

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Showed mine off to my endocrinologist yesterday (not my diabetes guy - the one who does my other stuff) and he had heard of it but hadn't seen one. I enthused about it and said I find taking control of my diabetes management so much more straightforward because of it. Hope he starts talking about it within the department!

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
According to Twitter one of the East of England ccgs has already said 'no' until there's more evidence that it helps so looks like yet again it will depend where you are whether it'll be available.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I believe that freestyle libre is given free to children in Suffolk. Will ask at my next appointment have used 3 so far but one faulty. Do not read same as test strips so found hard to trust showed Hypo when not.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a review with my consultant at the end of September and asked about the libre, he said the local CCG and the consultants were having a meeting at the begining of this month to discuss the matter. He told me that he thinks everyone using an Insulin Pump should have access to the Libre and to call phone up mid month to find out the results of this so keeping my fingers crossed as he did seem hopeful.

I wonder why he thinks people using pumps should have one?

JoeMoomin

My GP tells me that it'll be available but only to select people. If you can show a real case for it, you'll likely get it. However, he does think that it will filter down in the same way all new tech eventually does.
They are pretty positive about it all though and are pushing the case for it.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
My GP tells me that it'll be available but only to select people. If you can show a real case for it, you'll likely get it. However, he does think that it will filter down in the same way all new tech eventually does.
They are pretty positive about it all though and are pushing the case for it.

I was told the same thing from my DSN yesterday