Librelink app

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just ordered two more sensors and considering trying librelink app but have read posts on here where members have said that the sensor has failed when using app.

Is there a way to prevent this and do people using the app find it easier/just as good as using the reader?

Thanks

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just ordered two more sensors and considering trying librelink app but have read posts on here where members have said that the sensor has failed when using app.

Is there a way to prevent this and do people using the app find it easier/just as good as using the reader?

Thanks
That all really depends on your phone. What make and model do you have? The Samsung Galaxy S7 is now not supported although the S7 Edge is.

The app is very good and means one less thing to carry around, which I like. It's reports come nowhere close to that of the Libre reader, but it will show you graphs and trends all the same; which is the most important aspect for a lot of us.

Reactions: mariposa84

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That all really depends on your phone. What make and model do you have? The Samsung Galaxy S7 is now not supported although the S7 Edge is.

The app is very good and means one less thing to carry around, which I like. It's reports come nowhere close to that of the Libre reader, but it will show you graphs and trends all the same; which is the most important aspect for a lot of us.

Thanks for the quick response!!

I have an S5 :nailbiting: does it take up lots of memory space? Also, am I right in thinking you can use both app and reader for same sensor?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the quick response!!

I have an S5 :nailbiting: does it take up lots of memory space? Also, am I right in thinking you can use both app and reader for same sensor?
No problem:)

So it looks like the S5 will work just fine with LibreLink. The easiest way to check, is to see if it's available to you in the Google Play Store. If you can see it there, then it should be sound.

https://www.librelink.com/support/checking-glucose/scan/android-nfc

It doesn't take up much memory space at all; but I cannot remember the file size off hand.

You can use the reader and LibreLink app providing that you first start the sensor with the reader, and then scan your phone with the sensor within the 60 minute warm up period. Data doesn't migrate between devices though.

Reactions: mariposa84

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
do people using the app find it easier/just as good as using the reader?

I've tried both, they're both worth a go, but I found that, while the reader is a small palm sized gizmo which I can swipe without anyone noticing, the app needs you to hunt out the sensor with a large lit up phone which then makes a lot of noise when it finds the sensor.

I'm not shy at all about injecting/testing/scanning in public, but the app is just too visible and feckin loud. People notice when you're busy waving a huge bright phone past your arm for no apparent reason.

I've still got in on my phone, but just as a backup in case I lose the reader.

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No problem:)

So it looks like the S5 will work just fine with LibreLink. The easiest way to check, is to see if it's available to you in the Google Play Store. If you can see it there, then it should be sound.

https://www.librelink.com/support/checking-glucose/scan/android-nfc

It doesn't take up much memory space at all; but I cannot remember the file size off hand.

You can use the reader and LibreLink app providing that you first start the sensor with the reader, and then scan your phone with the sensor within the 60 minute warm up period. Data doesn't migrate between devices though.

Data doesn't migrate between devices though -- that's a pity!

Will give it a go once my next sensor arrives!

Thanks again

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've tried both, they're both worth a go, but I found that, while the reader is a small palm sized gizmo which I can swipe without anyone noticing, the app needs you to hunt out the sensor with a large lit up phone which then makes a lot of noise when it finds the sensor.

I'm not shy at all about injecting/testing/scanning in public, but the app is just too visible and feckin loud. People notice when you're busy waving a huge bright phone past your arm for no apparent reason.

I've still got in on my phone, but just as a backup in case I lose the reader.

Hmmmm I didn't know it would be noisy...!!
That's one thing I like about the reader - generally no-one bats an eyelid when scanning in public, even on the tube.

Will still give it a go all the same.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Data doesn't migrate between devices though -- that's a pity!

It's not too much of a problem. For the month or so I used both, I'd use the reader for the regular scans every 20 or 30 minutes (well, why not, some people chew pens, I scan), and then just scan the app every eight hours or so (when you scan, it'll then ping you a message eight hours later as a reminder if you haven't scanned between times). That way, even if you're not using the app for regular scans, you'll still get the full graph for the last eight hours.

I'll give the app it's due: graphs on the reader can look a bit 'stabby' because the screen size is so titchy, and can make a day look like a mess, whereas the app is running on a wider phone screen, so the same period looks smoother and, I think, is closer to the reality of it.

Still, I decided not to use it. The noise is a couple of bleeps, but I'd still have people in the office saying, oh, is that you bleeping again. They didn't mean any harm by it, just joshing and I've known them long enough to let them off with it, but it's nobody's business if I decide to scan.

There's apparently an app which kills the beep but couldn't be bothered with it.

Also, there was one occasion when I was in a pub, decided to use the app, lit screen is facing out into the body of the crowd, was having trouble finding the sensor with it (had only had one pint, honest!), and I swear I was getting the evil eye from this guy who seemed to think I was filming his girlfriend with it!

So, sure, the idea of casually waving your phone past your arm seems kinda funky, but in practice, maybe not so much!

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's not too much of a problem. For the month or so I used both, I'd use the reader for the regular scans every 20 or 30 minutes (well, why not, some people chew pens, I scan), and then just scan the app every eight hours or so (when you scan, it'll then ping you a message eight hours later as a reminder if you haven't scanned between times). That way, even if you're not using the app for regular scans, you'll still get the full graph for the last eight hours.

I'll give the app it's due: graphs on the reader can look a bit 'stabby' because the screen size is so titchy, and can make a day look like a mess, whereas the app is running on a wider phone screen, so the same period looks smoother and, I think, is closer to the reality of it.

Still, I decided not to use it. The noise is a couple of bleeps, but I'd still have people in the office saying, oh, is that you bleeping again. They didn't mean any harm by it, just joshing and I've known them long enough to let them off with it, but it's nobody's business if I decide to scan.

There's apparently an app which kills the beep but couldn't be bothered with it.

Also, there was one occasion when I was in a pub, decided to use the app, lit screen is facing out into the body of the crowd, was having trouble finding the sensor with it (had only had one pint, honest!), and I swear I was getting the evil eye from this guy who seemed to think I was filming his girlfriend with it!

So, sure, the idea of casually waving your phone past your arm seems kinda funky, but in practice, maybe not so much!

:D:D:D:D:D too funny!!

Will definitely be trying the app once I get my new sensor!

Thanks for the tip about scanning every 8hrs...I think I would certainly benefit from looking at an "unstabby" graph.

Thought I'd try it to make a change from having to carry phone, insight remote, and libre reader around with me.

Will keep you posted!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why did they stop supporting the Galaxy S7, which is (of course, of course) my new work phone? Thanks.
I reached out to Abbott about the discontinued support for the Galaxy S7 and this was their reply:

We did not receive an official information what is the exact issue, but the App producer mention that the problem is with the location on the NFC scanner in this particular phone.
A lot of our customers had issues that sensor was working just for few days (1-3) and after that was giving error message.

I still have LibreLink on my S7, because I downloaded it when it was still available - they have no means of removing it. I used it with around 8 sensors and never had a single issue.

Glimp is an unofficial app that can be used on the S7 with the Libre, although I never tried it as apparently that can damage sensors also. It would make sense, considering the NFC chip is common to the phone regardless of the app used.

It's a pity and also surprising that the S7 Edge has a different NFC chip.

You could either try Glimp, or try and source the LibreLink apk file from somewhere other than the Google Play store. It's available online as I've done it in the past.

wildbill1791

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I reached out to Abbott about the discontinued support for the Galaxy S7 and this was their reply:

We did not receive an official information what is the exact issue, but the App producer mention that the problem is with the location on the NFC scanner in this particular phone.
A lot of our customers had issues that sensor was working just for few days (1-3) and after that was giving error message.

I still have LibreLink on my S7, because I downloaded it when it was still available - they have no means of removing it. I used it with around 8 sensors and never had a single issue.

Glimp is an unofficial app that can be used on the S7 with the Libre, although I never tried it as apparently that can damage sensors also. It would make sense, considering the NFC chip is common to the phone regardless of the app used.

It's a pity and also surprising that the S7 Edge has a different NFC chip.

You could either try Glimp, or try and source the LibreLink apk file from somewhere other than the Google Play store. It's available online as I've done it in the past.
Thaks