License revoked in error by DVLA / advise to get it reversed

Shazzawest1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just moved house and have tried to update my address online without success. I rang DVLA and to my horror found that they revoked my license in 2015 and I have been driving without a license for nearly 2 years. I had no knowledge of this at all.

I am type 2 diabetic and my condition is successfully managed by one 1000mg metformin per day plus good diet and exercise.

In September 2014 I was taken seriously ill with septicaemia arising out of a gallbladder infection. I was in hospital for a month and thereafter in November 2014 was remitted to remove my gallbladder. I have had no problems since. At that time when my body was basically under attack, I was prescribed insulin to manage my diabetes as the infection had had an affect on my body. This was always said to be likely temporary and indeed it was for just a few months. I was told to informDVLA and did so, explaining that it was to be temporary only, followed up in writing and gave consent for them to contact my doctor if need be.

I heard nothing more, but didn't expect to.

DVLA say they wrote 2 letters to me, one asking me to complete a form and 2 warning me that my driving license would be revoked on medical grounds. None of these letters were received by myself.

I have established that they never contacted my doctor, so had not investigated the temporary nature of my taking insulin, but in their wisdom had revoked my license.

I depend on my driving as I have a disabled son and elderly father I support, I am a single mum and also work part time and need my car for that - can DVLA reverse their error simply? Please help I'm so worried as all forum say DVLA are difficult to deal with.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you spoken to DVLA yet to explain the situation?
Might be worth trying first.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
There has clearly been a mix-up of some sort but when you inform the DVLA of any medical change that may affect your ability to drive it is standard practice for them to send out a form asking for details of your condition and they then make a decision based on your replies, if you do not reply they have no alternative but to revoke your licence, now the reason may have been that when the letters were sent out to you that you were in hospital and never got them but that is conjecture on my part.

I would phone them up and explain that you are no longer using insulin and that it was a short term medication and they should reinstate your licence, I have always found them to be very helpful.

I was on insulin for 12 months and had to report it to the DVLC returning the completed form they issued me with a new three year licence free of charge, as soon as I reported to them that I had stopped using insulin they then issued me a normal licence again, I didnt have to pay for either licence.

Give them a ring, Im sure they will sort it out for you.