Lidl Low GI Rolls

Mumneedshelp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Exercise
Please can I ask what is the carbs for these rolls, and do they make you feel bloated like normal bread, I am having problems getting the psillium husk powder so can't make my own bread

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please can I ask what is the carbs for these rolls, and do they make you feel bloated like normal bread, I am having problems getting the psillium husk powder so can't make my own bread
The Low GI rolls (round) are 45% carb, the High Protein rolls (triangular) 9.8% carb.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Anybody here living in Northern Ireland? If yes, does Lidl stock these rolls?
Contacted Lidl and they confirmed that they do not stock them in NI and have no immediate plans to do so.
If you live in NI or visit then you could use the contact form to ask for them. Enough demand might encourage them.

I am feeling a little lost because I usually eat at least one per day and it diverts any bread cravings.

Probably need to look for recipes to make my own!

Edit: just fired off a query to Lidl in Eire in case they stock the rolls. I will report back.

Last edited:
Reactions: zbluebirdz

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably need to look for recipes to make my own!
Let us know if you have any success. I would like to make a loaf with the same ingredients. I can't understand why there are no similar alternatives.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably should have added "in my opinion" to that!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lidl in Ireland don't stock them My daughter lives there and I take enough for my stay and put them in the freezer when I get there .Sorry to be the bearer of bad news !!
CAROL

Reactions: zbluebirdz

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with making your own bread is that there isn't a handy stockroom for you to source the speciality ingredients, just the local shops, and they are unlikely to even think about stocking them.
I used to work for Allied Lyons, the tea people, and did storage testing on the dry goods they manufactured, and there are so many extracts which are available to industry to make things bake better or faster than those made from standard ingredients.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh no, don't say mfp is not very accurate plz It's my best friend

You just need to be careful. All the information is added by other users, some from other countries where food labelling and measurement units are different, not to mention food production. Some aren't interested in carbs - just calories, and many of the vitamins and minerals are omitted or just wrong. I used it myself initially but always double checked and then added the items to the main data list as I calculated them. It is a good tool, but care is needed.

Reactions: Pixieboo

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This may be the same misunderstanding which has occurred before in this thread. Lidl High Protein rolls (triangular) are low carb 9.8%, Lidl Low GI rolls (round) are not low carb 45%

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but they are Low GI, so they should have little to no impact on blood glucose levels compared to none Low GI bread.
I think that is a myth. Low GI might smooth out peaks a bit but it seems, at least in my experience, that carbs are carbs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
but they are Low GI, so they should have little to no impact on blood glucose levels compared to none Low GI bread. I've had 3 today already, and currently at 4.5mmol/l 2h:35m after eating the last one. if anyone gets higher readings, that should say to me your insulin resistance must be very high, and would recommend working to lower it asap.

Low GI bread has the same amount of carbs as high GI bread, therefore the same amount of glucose gets released. With low GI it just takes longer. I find if low GI bread sends me from say 5 to 6 at 2 hours, instead of coming back to 5 fairly soon, I stay at 6 for several hours. (Figures are just plucked from the air) Low GI has never worked for me, and I no longer have a great deal of IR. We all react differently.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you no longer have insulin resistance you would not be type 2, as you would be able to eat normal amounts of carbohydrates, and any kind without the your blood ever going out of range. We all have different levels of insulin resistance, the idea is to try and lower it, via HIIT exercise and resistance training, not just control it.

I would say in the beginning(seems like years now) I would get 11s on wholemeal(well, most thing with carbs), even LCHF did not help reserve anything but just controlled it, because as soon as I would go out to eat anything normal my blood glucose would go too high again. I later realised fat can block up the pancreas preventing normal insulin response along with excess fat around the body making you more insulin resistant. That started the big rapid weight loss with HIIT workouts and resistance training, and it worked. Not overnight, more like months, but it did work, as others have done here too.

We are all at different stages in our quest to reverse diabetes.

I don't wish to derail this thread about Lidl rolls, but must ask if you were speaking generally to everyone, or just to me? You are flogging a dead horse if it was just to me. ;) My BMI is 21 and I am an OAP with absolutely no desire to spend time attempting push ups or squats or anything else. My worn out knee cartilage would complain too much. I walk my dog and do my housework and from time to time, my gardening. My BS levels are normal, even after fish and chips. I am content.

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

kamrez2224

I don't wish to derail this thread about Lidl rolls, but must ask if you were speaking generally to everyone, or just to me? You are flogging a dead horse if it was just to me. ;) My BMI is 21 and I am an OAP with absolutely no desire to spend time attempting push ups or squats or anything else. My worn out knee cartilage would complain too much. I walk my dog and do my housework and from time to time, my gardening. My BS levels are normal, even after fish and chips. I am content.
I have tried these rolls making fried egg roll in the morning, they do spike your blood sugar level, but now after 15 min of eating I take a walk for 10 min and it does not produce the spike

Litte356

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Went to Lidl today to get my supply of their High Protein Rolls and noticed they had Low GI Rolls which I haven't seen before. Had one for lunch and unfortunately my BS was too high 2 hours later, pity as it was very tasty and a nice change from the High Protein ones - might try half a roll next time. I can't find any mention of them on the Lidl website let alone the carb content. Anybody tried them or have any information?
Hi
The Lidl contains:
Low GI Rolls
Nutrition Information
Typical values per 100g: Energy 295kcal/1240kJ; Fat 8.5g, of which saturates 1.1g, Carbohydrates 44.9g, of which sugar 4.2g; Fibre 8.4g; Protein 14g, Salt 0.78g.

Allergen Information
Wheat, Oats, Rye, Milk
Regards
Litte

Reactions: Prem51

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
The Lidl contains:
Low GI Rolls
Nutrition Information
Typical values per 100g: Energy 295kcal/1240kJ; Fat 8.5g, of which saturates 1.1g, Carbohydrates 44.9g, of which sugar 4.2g; Fibre 8.4g; Protein 14g, Salt 0.78g.

Allergen Information
Wheat, Oats, Rye, Milk
Regards
Litte
At that rate one could have a slice of the wonderful rye bread from Village bakery via Waitrose - 48.2 g carbs per 100g. https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/the-village-bakery-rye-bread/055517-27865-27866

terryrat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ingredients: Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Water, Seeds [Sunflower Seeds (8%), Linseed (4%) Pumpkin Seeds (2%)], Wheat Gluten, Rye Flour, Yeast, Oats, Wheat Bran, Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Salt, Emulsifiers (Mono- and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Soya Lecithin), Wheat Malt Flour, Whey Powder (From Milk), Dextrose, Enzymes, Flour Improver (Ascorbic Acid), Raising Agent (Disodium Diphospate). Nutritional Information: Typical Values per 100g: Energy 1206kJ/287kcal Fat 8.5g Of which saturates 1.0g Carbohydrate 36.0g Of which sugars 3.8g Fibre 6.9g Protein 13.2g Salt 0.9g Allergens: For allergens, including cereals containing gluten, see ingredients in bold. Useful Information: Suitable for Vegetarians.