Life insurance for diabetics

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Always worth getting a comparison for level term as well. I know decreasing matches a repayment mortgage etc etc but sometimes there is very little difference in premium. If you have health problems and can get insured, at least then you have some residual sum assured should anything happen to go to your spouse/children etc. Useful if you are uninsurable in the future.

Ali

eshaw

sw11bloke- That is pretty impressive then to get it that price, I take it that's for single cover? I think the cheapest I was quoted for single cover was £27. I'll be sure to give them a call.

So far through various brokers, the cheapest for joint cover seems to be through either AVIVA or AEGON although I haven't had definite final price yet, these are the ones the brokers are putting in the applications for.

eshaw

Hi All,

Well I have finally got a quote back from one broker Bon Accord Life. It took ages to get the doctor to send back a health report, but no surprises there. The quote also considers other health issues on our records but mainly the diabetes I was advised. So for joint cover for both my Partner and I (just one diabetic thank goodness!) from insurers called Aegon, I have been quoted £34.59 a month, which is to cover a mortgage of £190,000 over 31 years. As I said my Hb1c was 6.7 last time I visited.

Hope this helps. I'm yet to hear back from another broker who are also looking at the Insurers AVIVA, however they are still waiting for a doctors report for that and were advised that it would be another 4 weeks! I guess it's getting cold so GPS have other priorities!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
eshaw said:
Hi All,

Well I have finally got a quote back from one broker Bon Accord Life. It took ages to get the doctor to send back a health report, but no surprises there. The quote also considers other health issues on our records but mainly the diabetes I was advised. So for joint cover for both my Partner and I (just one diabetic thank goodness!) from insurers called Aegon, I have been quoted £34.59 a month, which is to cover a mortgage of £190,000 over 31 years. As I said my Hb1c was 6.7 last time I visited.

Hope this helps. I'm yet to hear back from another broker who are also looking at the Insurers AVIVA, however they are still waiting for a doctors report for that and were advised that it would be another 4 weeks! I guess it's getting cold so GPS have other priorities!

That to me looks like a good deal for a £190,000 mortgage :thumbup:

eshaw

Yes it doesn't seem too bad, I think we will go with that and not wait for the other as we are getting close to exchanging contracts on the house. Bon accord life also said they would match if we got a cheaper quote.

Diaz

This life cover is so huge!!!
I'm diabetic type 1 for 25 years, I'm 35 years old and I requested a life cover insurance level for 170.000£ for 30 years - just bought a property. The best I get is between 65-70£ pm. Not to mention that my HbA is fine I dont have no other medical complications/issues. What do you think, anyone in the same situation?

sarah88

I managed to get £90k decreasing cover approx 2-3 years ago for about £15 per month with Aviva through my IFA. Really was worth it going through him rather than direct.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

eshaw

Ok good news The insurance Surgery the company that is recommended on the diabetes.co.uk site, managed to get me an even better deal! They got me decreasing joint cover with AVIVA for £28! So cancelled the other and have gone with them.

collectingrocks

I have never heard of mandatory life insurance as a condition of getting a mortgage. Buildings insurance is usually the bare, mandatory minimum. The mortgage lender is only interested in protecting their asset (i.e. the property) should you default on your mortgage. Unless things have changed drastically in the last few years, mortgage companies did not care two hoots about your health - so long as they were getting the monthly payments on time every month.

Johnsmith3658

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I am new here and i must say that this is just perfect forum. I am dealing with Type 1 Diabetes from last 5 years and right now dealing this with my diet. However, I have a question to all people here that whether I will lost my insurance policy or not? as i am having now diabetes. Secondly, i am not sure whether is there any other cheaper insurance company to deal with my issue. I am performing research on internet and i have found that you need to get as many possible quotes as you can, and select the best one, but i am not able to find my feet to get the proper quote. I initially got my life insurance quotes online and so far the company is great. I need to have the inputs on my question. Thanks to all!!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your quotes seem similar to what I'm paying. Got single cover for £145k at £30 per month. I'm 30 with an HbA1c at the time of 6.1%.

Rogereric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rogereric- Whilst I have no reason to challenge your assertion that health insurance is becoming more expensive, this thread is really about life assurance to safeguard a domestic mortgage. The risk in this type of cover is mortality, rather than morbidity.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This concept of life insurance is equally frustrating and hilarious.

The first (and only) quote I was given when I bought my first house last year was £93 per month and there would be no payout for diabetes related deaths... Truly amazing!

Swiftly told them where to go.

Hi All,

Hope this helps. I'm yet to hear back from another broker who are also looking at the Insurers AVIVA, however they are still waiting for a doctors report for that and were advised that it would be another 4 weeks! I guess it's getting cold so GPS have other priorities! Tragus

This quote looks really reasonable. Would you please mention complete detail of other health issues it will cover as you mentioned in you post...........! thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
If you can not provide detail list of health issues covered by this insurance then please help me to figure it out will it allow me to undergo minor surgery of hernia plasty. If not please help me to find out quote that cover both diabetes as main health issue and hernia as secondary health issue. Please help me i will appreciate you for this kind favor. thanks