Life with Libre

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Your post was enough to get me googling Ambrosia Systems. Curious to know if it works. The Nightrider would be no good for me as it isn't waterproof. The Trans Am is but quite a cost on top of the £47 for the Libre.

It works! Took a bit of faffing around to get it paired with the phone, but, yep, I'm getting regular readings every five minutes pushed to my phone in either a graph form or a list.

The interesting thing is that while I've sometimes been frustrated by the divergence between reader scans and my One Touch Verio IQ meter readings, the results I'm getting through the blucon are actually much closer to the meter than the reader is, although, admittedly, that's just based on two meter tests so far. I suppose it also begs a lot of questions about how accurate my meter is - some reviews of the Verio say it runs higher than other meters. Suppose I should get some control solution for it, although I cannot for the life of me see anywhere on the vials or packaging of the strips what the control range is.

I can still scan with the reader if I want to.

I was a bit hesitant to try it straight away seeing as my sensor has still got 11 days left, was worried in case it broke it, but no problem, seems to be that you can take it on and off as you see fit, so not like librelink where you have to initiate it within sixty minutes of reader activation.

I pre-ordered it purely because it said it would alert for out of range, but then they posted a few days later to say that won't be for a while! They've not said when that will be. I assume it will just be a software upgrade rather than buying a new device.

So, it's not got alarms at the moment, which is frustrating seeing as that was the only reason I bought the damned thing, so will just have to wait and see. I'm speculating that if it has alarms it will be a medical device as opposed to just an nfc reader with bluetooth, and there might then be approval/authorisation issues with the medical authorities They got back to me quite quickly on another issue, so I'll maybe e-mail them again to ask about time scales for alerts.There's certainly demand for alarms - the plaintive cries on their facebook page copied below made me laugh! I imagine there's probably a few app developers out there already trying to hack an alarm.

I agree the price of the Trans Am is crazy, I would never pay that. The Nighrider version cost about £110 and then I had to pay £25 import tax. It's not waterproof, but that doesn't matter to me as the intention really was just to wear it overnight to get alarms for night hypos and take it off for showers.

The only bits which aren't waterproof seem to be the on off hole and the battery cover. But that could be sorted by putting some waterproof tape over it, although having waited this long for it to arrive, I'm not going to chance my luck.

I bought a running armband with a pocket, but it was too fiddly, so, recalling post #38 , it's sitting there quite happily with a bit of masking tape holding it on. I'll know soon whether I'm allergic to masking tape or not!

It's not that big, marginally wider than the sensor, but obviously standing a bit prouder than the sensor alone, so I'll need to be more careful taking shirts on and off.

So, absent the alarms, Ive not quite dex'd my libre yet, but if they eventually get round to alarms, I'll be happy with it. Lack of alarms for night hypos is really the only thing missing from libre, so if these boys can get that fixed, I reckon there'll be pretty high demand for it.

Am tagging @BeccyB as I recall from another thread she had pre-ordered one.

Screenshot_2017-06-09-19-12-07.png

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Scott_c - the control range is on the Verio Control solution which, as you know, you get free from Lifescan. I have the Verio as well as my previous Ultra Èasy went do lally and was measuring way over (and I so mean way over. It was pointless testing it was so far out).
As expected this rather shook my trust in meters so it took me a while to relax with the brand new Verio. I don't check as often as Lifescan suggest with the control (I do get my strips on prescription but I don't want to use loads of them on control) but so far it has been within range.
I'm intrigued by the Nightrider and had discounted it as it is not waterproof but if it can be removed ànd reapplied easily then that's a different story. I'll patiently wait and see what develops as it may be buying the reader would be enough for me. I took long enough to become a Libre convert!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Scott_c - the control range is on the Verio Control solution which, as you know, you get free from Lifescan. I have the Verio as well as my previous Ultra Èasy went do lally and was measuring way over (and I so mean way over. It was pointless testing it was so far out).
As expected this rather shook my trust in meters so it took me a while to relax with the brand new Verio. I don't check as often as Lifescan suggest with the control (I do get my strips on prescription but I don't want to use loads of them on control) but so far it has been within range.
I'm intrigued by the Nightrider and had discounted it as it is not waterproof but if it can be removed ànd reapplied easily then that's a different story. I'll patiently wait and see what develops as it may be buying the reader would be enough for me. I took long enough to become a Libre convert!

I'm liking this a lot already. I thought I'd be using the graph more, but it turns out the history option lets me see in more detail what's going on. Have done a few more blood tests. It's definitely closer to my meter than the reader. Here's a screenshot to give you an idea:

Screenshot_2017-06-11-13-57-19.png

Reactions: maglil55

gardener612

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone tried putting the sensor on another part of the body (besides upper arm) like the stomach? If so, did it work OK there?

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Scott, the readings might be better because it's either not averaging, or averaging over 5min instead of 15. I think this affects individual reading accuracy when things are changing rather than steady.

Another report on my first sensor:
1.5 days left, glue has half failed now. It would come off if I caught it on something, but is holding steady. I took normal showers for the first 11 days, since then have been purposely avoiding most water.
Can't try the next sensor till the end of the week as I have an MRI coming up.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the tag @Scott-C - Mine is at the post office waiting for me so hopefully will have it running soon!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just be aware that water can (and does) get under Opsite if there is the slightest gap. The other thing to be careful with is that the worst Libre reactions I had were when I was wearing a Tegaderm patch over it to stop it falling off. Covering with a non-breathable sticky of any sort may not be all that good an idea!

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes, I wondered about that - seems like giving it a chance to dry is a good idea - if covering i'd want to make sure it started and stayed 100% dry.

Update : day 13.5 - was holding strong, despite the edges starting to separate a little. Until... I caught it on a door frame and gave it a mighty yank.
Seems to have stayed in, thanks to having very loose skin that can flap about (I'm half the man I used to be). But - it has almost removed all the glue on one side of the sensor. I'll be watching the numbers very closely tonight. As far as I can tell the needle is still in place, but I don't want to lift the sensor and see.

I can't believe 2 weeks is almost up and I'm going to be sans-sensor for the next 4 days... i have become so accustomed to having it.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got a roll of this which I'll use to hold it on and keep it waterproof:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Health-P...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J2KG1FQPSS12MJM0M5CS
I tried Opsite as I spend a lot of time in the swimming pool and I didn't do well with it at all. It kept coming loose and I spent more time out of the pool taping ìt up than I did in. Tegaderm is the one that suits me best although I now make sure I apply it on a day I'm not at the pool to let it adhere properly otherwise the humidity works it loose.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just be aware that water can (and does) get under Opsite if there is the slightest gap. The other thing to be careful with is that the worst Libre reactions I had were when I was wearing a Tegaderm patch over it to stop it falling off. Covering with a non-breathable sticky of any sort may not be all that good an idea!
Tegaderm works great for me. As you'll see from my other post it was all about keeping it dry dùring Aqua Fit and swimming. Opsite was useless but Tegaderm is great so long as I apply it on a non pool day then it ĺasts ages without moving.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone tried putting the sensor on another part of the body (besides upper arm) like the stomach? If so, did it work OK there?
Someone has but I can't remember who. Sure I read it on another thread on the Libre. I keep looking and see if I can find it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I wondered about that - seems like giving it a chance to dry is a good idea - if covering i'd want to make sure it started and stayed 100% dry.

Update : day 13.5 - was holding strong, despite the edges starting to separate a little. Until... I caught it on a door frame and gave it a mighty yank.
Seems to have stayed in, thanks to having very loose skin that can flap about (I'm half the man I used to be). But - it has almost removed all the glue on one side of the sensor.
I have the wobble issue too and my first sensor was a nightmare at Aqua on the back of the arm. Right on the 'wobble bit'. Since then I've attached them to the inner arm , no wobble and the Tegaderm keeps it fine despite being in a pool for 2 hrs at a time.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well.. my sensor expired :(
It's been three hours. I'm at work and honestly feel like I've been sent back to the stone age!
Wearing and using it I thought it was nice, useful, but no big deal... now I realise Libre is such a good thing!

Can't wait to pop the new one in on Friday.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's been three hours. I'm at work and honestly feel like I've been sent back to the stone age!
Wearing and using it I thought it was nice, useful, but no big deal... now I realise Libre is such a good thing!

I feel your pain

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, the first few days after a sensor ends are a bit of a shock, aren't they?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the tag @Scott-C - Mine is at the post office waiting for me so hopefully will have it running soon!

Well, after my initial enthusiasm, I'm changing my mind!

It worked wonderfully the first two days, readings were very close to the meter.

Then, all of a sudden, it started reading substantially below meter, and the reader started weirding out too. Yesterday, at one point meter was saying 9, blucon saying 5.7, and reader 4. Fifteen minutes ago, meter 4.9, blucon now 1.39! I would be unconscious at that level!

So, what's going on? Possibilities:

Maybe it's just a ratty sensor which would have done that anyway - I've had one or two of those.

Maybe the fiddling around with an armband has poked the sensor around enough to dislodge the filament.

Maybe it reading every five minutes has drained the sensor battery too much.

Maybe the inflammation caused by using masking tape initially is affecting glucose levels in the area.

Maybe the arm band was causing a compression low (although now just loosely held on with surgical tape).

Maybe it's just a piece of junk!

Oh well, it's a new thing and it was worth a try. I'll keep an eye on the blucon facebook and twitter feeds to see if anyone else is getting the same, will probably e-mail them too. I suppose all new products will have teething troubles which are eventually ironed out.

Seeing as the reader is also now glitchy, I reckon I'll write off the remaining six days on this sensor and put a new on one.

Getting readings every five minutes was great, just a shame it's started playing up. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and grt a dexcom!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, after my initial enthusiasm, I'm changing my mind!

It worked wonderfully the first two days, readings were very close to the meter.

Then, all of a sudden, it started reading substantially below meter, and the reader started weirding out too. Yesterday, at one point meter was saying 9, blucon saying 5.7, and reader 4. Fifteen minutes ago, meter 4.9, blucon now 1.39! I would be unconscious at that level!

So, what's going on? Possibilities:

Maybe it's just a ratty sensor which would have done that anyway - I've had one or two of those.

Maybe the fiddling around with an armband has poked the sensor around enough to dislodge the filament.

Maybe it reading every five minutes has drained the sensor battery too much.

Maybe the inflammation caused by using masking tape initially is affecting glucose levels in the area.

Maybe the arm band was causing a compression low (although now just loosely held on with surgical tape).

Maybe it's just a piece of junk!

Oh well, it's a new thing and it was worth a try. I'll keep an eye on the blucon facebook and twitter feeds to see if anyone else is getting the same, will probably e-mail them too. I suppose all new products will have teething troubles which are eventually ironed out.

Seeing as the reader is also now glitchy, I reckon I'll write off the remaining six days on this sensor and put a new on one.

Getting readings every five minutes was great, just a shame it's started playing up. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and grt a dexcom!
Glad I take a while to decide. I'm pondering on the reader now (unless they are going to further enhance the App but then that would surely hit reader sales?)