Life with Libre

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a nightmare morning. Sensor still had 5 days to run so would have been attaching new sensor in a couple of days. Working fine last night. Scanned at 4.3 pre bed (stab had me at 4.5). Went to scan this morning and it seemed to have committed suicide! Message that it had run out and attach a new sensor. Fixed a new sensor and started the activation countdown. Removed the early suicide sensor and noticed there was blood on the back again. New sensor started up and delivered 3 scans before it just dropped off. My arm was bleeding from where the filament had been and the backing was not very sticky. Not a lot I could do other than apply yet another sensor my 3rd for the morning!
Having applied yet another sensor , I scanned it to start up, it asked if I wanted to start another sensor, pressed Yes and it took me to the help page 'how to scan a sensor'. I paged through it, backed out of help and scanned the sensor and again it asked do you want to start a new sensor and again it took me to the help page. 5 mins later I was still going around in circles and I'd tried loads of things, turning mobile off and on, restart, NFC off and on......to cut a long story short it still thought No 2 sensor was active. I eventually discovered that when it took me to the help page 'how to scan a sensor' I had to scan the new sensor while I was on the help page. That then cancelled sensor 2 and started sensor 3 on the 1 hr warm up. It's working fine and is well taped down with Tegaderm.
Both of the other errant sensors have been reported to Abbott and replacements requested.
Got a reply from Abbott today and both sensors are being replaced without charge. Absolutely no problems. They are also sending secure packaging and pre paid bags to return the 2 errant sensors.

Tony Williams

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK countdown is done and the scanner is working. I've discovered it will scan through the leather case on my mobile so that's good. A few question though.
1) I did a finger prick before the 1st test and got 6.6. Waited 10 mins and did the 1st scan on the sensor and got 7.3.
Have I got this the right way around? Is it blood, wait , scan or scan, wait , blood?
I expected it to be different but that's a fair difference.
2) does it just take time to settle? I.e are the first few scans normally out?
I appreciate it is all about the trend but that seems quite a gap.

It takes about 24 hours for the reading to be accurate. Most of my sensors read 0.4 lower than a finger prick test. They are about 15 mins behind the blood reading too.

Tony Williams

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using the Libre for 3 months now. I also started a low carb diet at the same time. I have Dropped my insulin usage from 90 units per day to 40 units per day. My HBa1C has dropped from 9.1 to 5.7 for a 3 month average. I eat half as much food and I have lost 20lbs

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Quick question anyone carried a new sensor in their hand luggage and were there any issues with airport security. Going to the US in 10 days and only take hand luggage but will need to change my sensor.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick question anyone carried a new sensor in their hand luggage and were there any issues with airport security. Going to the US in 10 days and only take hand luggage but will need to change my sensor.

I don't know the answer to this, but it might be best if you have the relevant leaflet/information/receipt/packaging with it, so if questions are asked, you have evidence as to what it is.

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Will have a letter, needles and insulin so there shouldn't be any doubt. The only problem I can see is the hidden needle when you insert the sensor and whether x-ray would pick that up as a query

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Will have a letter, needles and insulin so there shouldn't be any doubt. The only problem I can see is the hidden needle when you insert the sensor and whether x-ray would pick that up as a query

In that case I'm sure you will be fine, but you never know with all this extra security a certain American person insists on. :banghead:

A few years ago I had an unopened, sealed, bottle of water confiscated. :hilarious:

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In that case I'm sure you will be fine, but you never know with all this extra security a certain American person insists on. :banghead:

A few years ago I had an unopened, sealed, bottle of water confiscated. :hilarious:
Thanks we once lost a bottle of single malt whisky as we bought duty free in UK and forgot you go through security again as we had to change flights in the US.... A painful experience. :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got my Libre today - had to really pysch myself up to apply it once I saw the needle (and had a bad day as I had to go to the dentist which involved needles).

I am intrigued to see how this all works when I head to the US. I know someone said it is no issue when you go through security!

Rich1889

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been through a scanner today and it didn't pick mine up. It did pick up the spare needle I left my jacket pocket though and didn't help when I said 'it's only a needle'.

Will choose words more carefully next time!

Gazj2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I trialed the Libre whilst i was on the DAFNE course. The price put me off abit, being a single mum of 3 money is tight. But after reading other peoples thoughts on it on here i think i might give it another go.

How do you get on these courses/trials for Libre?

Gazj2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been using the Libre for 3 months now. I also started a low carb diet at the same time. I have Dropped my insulin usage from 90 units per day to 40 units per day. My HBa1C has dropped from 9.1 to 5.7 for a 3 month average. I eat half as much food and I have lost 20lbs

Surely this comment is enough justification for the NHS to implement it immediately! Well done