Life with Libre

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been using the Libre for 3 days now. I get a difference of 50mg/dl almost every time. Other times 30mg/dl difference. The Libre is always higher than the finger stick (Freestyle Light). I'm not sure what number is correct. I've written to Abbott but haven't gotten a reply as yet. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I had odd readings where is was out by that amount and more but most of the time it is only out by 3 or 4mg which I can live with.
Things I've discovered with it is to apply it but give it time to settle before you activate it. The current sensor I gave it a day and still had a doo lally day on activation. The current one runs out in 5 days so its replacement will go on in 3 days to give it 2 days to settle.
I still do finger pricks. Main ones are before sleep and FBG in the morning to give me a marker for overnight. Only other time I check is if the Libre gives out a really weird reading during the day. I tend to be pretty stable apart apart from dawn phenomenon so I know when I get a weird reading. From what I can glean it does do this every so often.
I do odd check readings as well. I discovered that finger prick then scan 15 mins later gives a good idea where you are.
I also have the sensor covered with Tegaderm clear film. This keeps it dry during showers, swimming , aqua fit etc. During activities in the pool I also put a stretchy tubular bandage over it to stop it moving about.
I've had the Tegaderm film on over a week now and it hasn't budged. I also have Opsite but found Tegaderm less fiddly. Amazon have it but Boots dispensary is a lot less expensive.
Although I get odd weird scans it usually tends to be accurate in the direction my BG is going. I felt the same as you at first i.e what use is something that isn't accurate but I found it does settle and you do get a feel for it. I'll see if giving it a 2 day rest helps.
If your sensor stays way out it may be a dodgy sensor and Abbott will replace duds.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55

I know you use your phone and app so don't get the full log of all the 15 minute readings, but what I have noticed on that log is sometimes the scan readings are higher than the 15 minute readings either side of it, and sometimes this is even when the 15 min reading and scan reading show the same time, or just the odd minute apart. Sometimes they are a lot higher. Other times they are very similar. I never really know what to make of it.

I've also noticed from T1s who post about it, that if you are rising quickly and the arrow is pointing to the sky, the Libre is less accurate than when you are stable. I rarely see such spikes but I did after eating something very naughty. The scans were higher than my Codefree, which allegedly reads high anyway. This is unusual for me because all my sensors have read low (bar one wild one that was replaced) I put it down to rising quickly and higher than normal.

Carol3120

I had odd readings where is was out by that amount and more but most of the time it is only out by 3 or 4mg which I can live with.
Things I've discovered with it is to apply it but give it time to settle before you activate it. The current sensor I gave it a day and still had a doo lally day on activation. The current one runs out in 5 days so its replacement will go on in 3 days to give it 2 days to settle.
I still do finger pricks. Main ones are before sleep and FBG in the morning to give me a marker for overnight. Only other time I check is if the Libre gives out a really weird reading during the day. I tend to be pretty stable apart apart from dawn phenomenon so I know when I get a weird reading. From what I can glean it does do this every so often.
I do odd check readings as well. I discovered that finger prick then scan 15 mins later gives a good idea where you are.
I also have the sensor covered with Tegaderm clear film. This keeps it dry during showers, swimming , aqua fit etc. During activities in the pool I also put a stretchy tubular bandage over it to stop it moving about.
I've had the Tegaderm film on over a week now and it hasn't budged. I also have Opsite but found Tegaderm less fiddly. Amazon have it but Boots dispensary is a lot less expensive.
Although I get odd weird scans it usually tends to be accurate in the direction my BG is going. I felt the same as you at first i.e what use is something that isn't accurate but I found it does settle and you do get a feel for it. I'll see if giving it a 2 day rest helps.
If your sensor stays way out it may be a dodgy sensor and Abbott will replace duds.

Carol3120

Maglil, thank you so much for your reply. It makes me feel more comfortable to know this. I'll try your suggestions.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maglil, thank you so much for your reply. It makes me feel more comfortable to know this. I'll try your suggestions.
I should have also added the other thing I have found it useful for is the effect of different foods which could wipe out my strips in days ! With Libre you can merrily scan away and see what direction BG is heading.
As Bluetit says I use the smartphone app which doesn't give the 15 min readings but it does still give a lot of info once you get to Day 5. I'm a non insulin Type II so the reading isn't as critical for me.

RuffsTheShake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm still within my first 24hr and have been recording heaps of finger pricks (using an accu-check) to compare my results and hoping it'll settle to something a little more accurate or at least consistently inaccurate haha. They were always lower ranging from 0.5 (rarely) to 4.5mmol out; usually about 2 or 3mmol. Hopefully today it will be more reliable!
Also cheers to this forum informing me about how it can be a little off before it settles or else I would've been annoyed yesterday : P

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm still within my first 24hr and have been recording heaps of finger pricks (using an accu-check) to compare my results and hoping it'll settle to something a little more accurate or at least consistently inaccurate haha. They were always lower ranging from 0.5 (rarely) to 4.5mmol out; usually about 2 or 3mmol. Hopefully today it will be more reliable!
Also cheers to this forum informing me about how it can be a little off before it settles or else I would've been annoyed yesterday : P
I assume you've read all this thread with my experiences as a new user? Did you give it a day to settle on your arm before you activated it? I came to the conclusion not even a day was enough so next one is getting 2 days. I still get the odd way out reading but for the most part it is reasonable close at about 0.2 mmol under. I now finger prick before bed , morning fasting and sometimes before dinner or if I get a weird reading. Otherwise I let libre do its thing. The few finger pricks I do I scan with libre 10/15 mins later as a check.
Despite its oddities I like it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Life of Libre 1 now down to 2 days. Forgot I activated in the afternoon. Currently at soft play with the boys so will apply when I get home and give it 2 days to rest. Libre 1 has suddenly become very accurate too.

Reactions: Sibyl and Ultramum

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Libre 1 is now on its 24 hr countdown. It became very accurate the last day or so. Libre 2 was affixed to my left arm yesterday and is patiently waiting activation tomorrow afternoon. Had a change of site. I've fitted Libre 2 to the inside of my left arm. Quite comfortable and it was a lot easier to fit Tegaderm with it on the inside of my arm despite being left handed.
It's a bit like waiting for a death with the countdown underway. The Tegaderm on Libre 1 was starting to come loose so it was ready for a change.

robbie7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It probably has already been the subject of debate in earlier threads, but a few months ago when I had a fault with one of my sensors, I asked the helpline operator at Libre whether I perhaps should have waited a few hours before activating the sensor to give it time to "settle in". His advice was that I should always activate a new sensor as soon as possible after applying it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Won't be long. I have a feeling I'll be mesmerized. It's gone out again . Measuring about 1.2 lower. Must know the end is nigh!
And it's gone. The Tegaderm was more painful to remove than the sensor. Libre 2 is warming up now.

Reactions: Ultramum

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
And it's gone.

Gone but not forgotten...like a first kiss, everyone remembers their first sensor!

This is a useful thread for people new to the libre, so thanks for starting it. It's been interesting to watch your initial scepticism about it not being the same as your meter developing into an understanding of it's quirks and then figuring out the sheer depth of information it provides despite the quirks.

I've been keeping all my expired sensors, a bit sad really, I know, but I'm thinking of re-purposing them... I've nearly got enough to use them as chequers on a draughts board!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gone but not forgotten...like a first kiss, everyone remembers their first sensor!

This is a useful thread for people new to the libre, so thanks for starting it. It's been interesting to watch your initial scepticism about it not being the same as your meter developing into an understanding of it's quirks and then figuring out the sheer depth of information it provides despite the quirks.

I've been keeping all my expired sensors, a bit sad really, I know, but I'm thinking of re-purposing them... I've nearly got enough to use them as chequers on a draughts board!
I can't disagree. It was rather sad watching it count down especially after it had been well behaved the last 2 days. It was in my mind that the thread might be useful for any new Libre user since, although I did my homework, got a lot of help and advice , I found the threads were in different places. As you rightly say I also had some scepticism when I first started out.
I think too you sometimes ask yourself - is that a daft question? When really it isn't . Hopefully I help someone else.
I'll add to the thread periodically now if there is anything else I come across - Libre 2 is certainly heading though!

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Thanks to @maglil55 for starting this thread and other contributors, I've now decided to order my Libre starter kit. :)

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can't disagree. It was rather sad watching it count down especially after it had been well behaved the last 2 days. It was in my mind that the thread might be useful for any new Libre user since, although I did my homework, got a lot of help and advice , I found the threads were in different places. As you rightly say I also had some scepticism when I first started out.
I think too you sometimes ask yourself - is that a daft question? When really it isn't . Hopefully I help someone else.
I'll add to the thread periodically now if there is anything else I come across - Libre 2 is certainly heading though!

Hi @maglil55,

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm starting sensor no.4 this afternoon although still feel like a newbie. Picked up some more tips while reading through all the posts...thought your grandson's description of the sensor was great!

Have a quick question... @Scott-C very kindly suggested the mepore adhesive plasters but my chemist didn't have any so I stuck a tegaderm on my loose sensor in hope it would stay put. It worked pretty well and saw you had used tegaderm too and wondered how much boots had charged you for it?

Hope you continue to have success with the libre. ..it's made life so much easier for me.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @maglil55,

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm starting sensor no.4 this afternoon although still feel like a newbie. Picked up some more tips while reading through all the posts...thought your grandson's description of the sensor was great!

Have a quick question... @Scott-C very kindly suggested the mepore adhesive plasters but my chemist didn't have any so I stuck a tegaderm on my loose sensor in hope it would stay put. It worked pretty well and saw you had used tegaderm too and wondered how much boots had charged you for it?

Hope you continue to have success with the libre. ..it's made life so much easier for me.
52p per plaster. Mine are staying put for the 2 weeks despite aqua fit, swimming and showers. I do wear a tubular bandage - also from Boots - which I cut into sections over the Tegaderm while swimming/aqua to keep it steady.
It has its quirks but I like it. Grandsons are even more fascinated by my secret sugar thingy now one has been removed and they could examine the exit site.

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
52p per plaster. Mine are staying put for the 2 weeks despite aqua fit, swimming and showers. I do wear a tubular bandage - also from Boots - which I cut into sections over the Tegaderm while swimming/aqua to keep it steady.
It has its quirks but I like it. Grandsons are even more fascinated by my secret sugar thingy now one has been removed and they could examine the exit site.

Brilliant! I'm a primary school teacher and have managed to keep sensor firmly covered up for the most part apart from one day when I was wearing a t-shirt...I got a fair few curious glances and even a prod followed by an inquisitive "what's that stuck on your arm for?" As they're only little I just said it was medicine which they seemed happy with but now the weather (fingers crossed!) will be getting that bit warmer I can see myself fielding off some more questions and may borrow your grandson's description!!!!
Have ordered some Cavilon from Boots which I'm picking up today so I'll ask the pharmacist about Tegaderm. What size did you go for?