Lifestyle change

bnorcutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
3 years ago I was diagnosed as type 2, put on Metformin and over the last couple of years the dose has been increased and last year was also given a glicazide.

On the 28th June 2017 I was having a consultation in hospital not related to the diabetes but got torn a new one by the consultant over it and that made me determined to do something about it.

Since then I have been following a low carb high'ish fat diet removing all potatos, rice, pasta from my diet and over the summer having lots of tasty salads and now making homemade soup, low carb deserts using almond flour, keto muffins etc...

I also having taken any medication since that date.

I try to run a couple of times a week averaging 6k per run and have lost around 10kg.

My Hba1c done last week came back as 5.9%

I intend to lose the same again which will bring me in to the healthy BMI range.

Ben

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is certainly worth giving it a go as the alternatives don't seem to be giving much joy.
It did for me, though might not for everyone.
Good luck.

Reactions: ziggy_w

bnorcutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone I also stopped eating crisps which was my biggest nemesis and additional sugar I used to think a chocolate bar was ok, now 85% chocolate, spicy peperami, cheese and eggs are my best friends.

Ben

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone I also stopped eating crisps which was my biggest nemesis and additional sugar I used to think a chocolate bar was ok, now 85% chocolate, spicy peperami, cheese and eggs are my best friends.

Ben

Have you discovered the joy of pork scratchings yet? :D

Reactions: ziggy_w

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Ben
Nuts are good for snacks too! Always keep some with me :)

bnorcutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh yes pork scratching deffo, I keep seeing 1kg bags on eBay for about £10 sooo tempting and nuts :)

I was also a real ale lover and have cut that out with only the occasional one being consumed.

Angelloubjr33

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Ben
Were you trying to lose weight as well . I’m trying to lose weight and get blood sugar levels down . I suffer with depression and when I was having a bad day I was eating things I should and as a result my diebities was being badly controlled so had to up my metformin and got put on gliclazide to so big wake up call so now trying to eat healthier and lose weight so you have any advice and tips that you could share that could help me please like foods that are good exercise tips etc

Kezroz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
6 months ago i was told i had type 2 diabetes, ive ive just turned 50 years old, and to be honest my whole world collapsed around me that day, i had already started having trouble with anxiety at the the time with panic attacks etc and finding that out just intensified it, so not having a clue what to do, the best information i got from my doctor was go to diabetes uk and you,ll find all the information needed there, last thing i wanted to do was go fumbling around a website thanks doc, anyways im glad i did, all the stories ive read and the important does and donts set me on the right road, my life style changed with the lfhc diet and 20mins exercise each day, i lost 2st quite quickly and im now a healthy 13st for my height of 6" 2, it was hard but diabetes certainly gives you the motivation to continue, today i got my blood results back and was told normal no need for further action, im just going to continue eating a healthy diet from this time on with the rare occasional treat, and as for thoughs pork scratchings that were mentioned, they got me through many a tricky day munching on them took away my craving for crisps hahaha. So all in all, changing your life style is important in keeping diabetes under control.

Take care all

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am lucky enough to have a real butcher just around the corner from my house. I can order up lots of delicious meat, but once in a while there are bags of pork scratchings - they do not stay long in the shop.
It might be to your advantage to seek out your local butchers and see if they do their own preparation.
Last night I had to rush out to a meeting so I had a Lidl protein roll with one of their surloin steaks and fried onion - delicious.

bnorcutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Were you trying to lose weight as well . I’m trying to lose weight and get blood sugar levels down . I suffer with depression and when I was having a bad day I was eating things I should and as a result my diebities was being badly controlled so had to up my metformin and got put on gliclazide to so big wake up call so now trying to eat healthier and lose weight so you have any advice and tips that you could share that could help me please like foods that are good exercise tips etc

My biggest thing is to cut out all high carb food such as bread, flour based products including pasta and potatoes, eat lots of veg and some meat spicey food pork belly etc... Is all good lovely stir fried with no noodles.

Also check out ground almonds Asda normally have 3 packs for £3 which gets you 450g I use this to make cookies, low carb muffins

I also completed couch to 5k and run 5k a couple of times a week

I've lost over a stone in 3 months

Ben

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
3 years ago I was diagnosed as type 2, put on Metformin and over the last couple of years the dose has been increased and last year was also given a glicazide.

On the 28th June 2017 I was having a consultation in hospital not related to the diabetes but got torn a new one by the consultant over it and that made me determined to do something about it.

Since then I have been following a low carb high'ish fat diet removing all potatos, rice, pasta from my diet and over the summer having lots of tasty salads and now making homemade soup, low carb deserts using almond flour, keto muffins etc...

I also having taken any medication since that date.

I try to run a couple of times a week averaging 6k per run and have lost around 10kg.

My Hba1c done last week came back as 5.9%

I intend to lose the same again which will bring me in to the healthy BMI range.

Ben
At first I thought it was one of my Type 2 friends but I don;t know any Ben's :) You have a very similar story to them - they have done the same thing and the one guy I know has been off his meds for more than a year and looks like he's getting younger - he too runs. It's just another example of how the body reacts when you don;t feed it the right things.

Congratulations Ben!

Reactions: bnorcutt

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im newly diagnosed T2 and nearly died at the hospital from Ketoacidosis 23 September 2017.

If we cannot have potatoes, rice, bread, pasta and can only have fresh vegetables - what am I going to eat to get my energy from?

I cannot have fats as I need to lose weight.

Please kindly advice, thank you!

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
China Town sells fresh pork cracklings in packets

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im newly diagnosed T2 and nearly died at the hospital from Ketoacidosis 23 September 2017.

If we cannot have potatoes, rice, bread, pasta and can only have fresh vegetables - what am I going to eat to get my energy from?

Hi there @NewTD2 ,

What diabetes medication are you prescribed..? This will help you find (or me tag) the right member to advise.. :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

But you need to have fats - they are an essential food group, and also do not cause the release of insulin, which normally in type two diabetics is very high.
If you eat any meat, fish, shellfish, eggs and some cheese, plus the amount of carbs which you can cope with but not raise your blood glucose to dangerous levels then there should be a change in your metabolism for the better.
You can use fats for energy - it is a process called ketosis - when your blood glucose is low you are not in danger of ketoacidosis, and ketosis is a perfectly normal process which most people see for some part of the day.

Do you have a meter so you can monitor your own blood glucose?
Edit Ah - I see that you are a type 2 on insulin - in which case you need to balance the carbs you eat with the insulin you take - you can't do as I did which was just lower my carbs until my blood glucose levels dropped to normal. Once I did that I lost weight without trying - over three stone now, but my case is different from your own.

Last edited:

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the advice!

I am eating half a slice of whole meal brown bread, a bit of chicken or fish and lots of fresh salad, mainly steamed or stir fried vegetables.

I feel so weak and have lost energy. Been taking food supplements like magnesium and potassium but it's not enough to get my full strength back.

My current BG readings are between 5.8 - 7% before breakfast and between 6.5-7.3 % before dinner.

My DN said that I am going to be given 500mg of Metformin increasing to 1g and to wean down daily 14 units of insulin slowly from next week.

Any advice?

Last edited: