light headed after eating, is this normal ?

justconfused

I have had T2 diagnosed since December 2008 and I managed to take my medication, exercise and diet seriously and brought all back to normal readings. I was on 7.9 when diagnosed and have lost 11 kgs even since. I am still to lose another 5 kgs and it should be bang on with the doc's target goal for me. I am on metformin 500mg X2, atorvastatin, 20mg aspirin but lately I have been experiencing light headedness each time I eat. I keep to low carbs and low fat - would I be doing something wrong ? or it it that my body is not adjusting anymore. I am worried. I don't want to climb up the insulin ladder so soon and trying my best to halt it. Please help !!!

This forum is great and worked wonders for me. I was heavily depressed and suicidal and people on this forum really made life with T2 sound pretty 'normal' now. Thank you all and may you all enjoy some good health. :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi
No this isn't normal. However having sufferred from that complaint some while ago I would see your GP and mention this. It may be your blood pressure that is the cause. There may be other reasons. You need to check it out - don't look for a diagnosis on here ! Help, support and tips we are best at.
Cheers
Ken

Trinkwasser

Here are some things you could do before you get to see the doctor: try testing before you eat, about half an hour, 1 hour and 2 hours after you eat How long before you feel light headed? Also be a good plan if you have a monitor to check your blood pressure at the time you feel like that.

Take the readings in with you.

justconfused

Thanks for all your advices. Really appreciated.

I am no on daily testing as yet, doctor thinks I don't need it as yet. So quite confusing.

I have not had any blood pressure trouble so far, however mostly on the low side as I am also taking Iron for anaemia. I had the same symptoms at the beg. of the diagnosis and when I was put on medication. Then, the doctor thought I should reduce the dose from 850 to 500 mg of Metformin twice a day. When my readings went normal, the dietician thought I should stop the medication but doc asked me to continue to stay on the safe side.

I am really scared to drift into depression if any of the readings are not good, as it is not easy to find edible things to keep off the hunger pangs in Vietnam and being mostly vegetarian.

lilibet

hi
Low BP will cause light headedness, as will low sodium and imbalance in electrolytes generally but dont suspect this would be related to food as such
Post prandial hypotension causes low blood pressure after eating (when body takes away energy to gut to help digestion process this can cause low bp).Trinks idea to test after eating is good way to rule this out

Prob with low bp is that its hard to tackle. Some people increase salt intake , also drinking lots water increases blood volume. If it is post prandial hypotension, lying down after eating might help though not hellishly practical

FWIW i often feel as if I can feel my bg rising after eating at times, so it might well just be you are sensitive to whats going on in your body, Either that or Im bonkers! :lol:

Katharine

In the early stages of type two diabetes the pancreas is still secreting lots of insulin. Sometimes the pancreas overshoots and you can go a bit hypo. You will find out if this is going on by testing your bs when you feel lightheaded.