Linagliptin opinions

catmazdo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,

I'm a type 2 diabetic, started on metformin which made me I'll so the GP put me on Glucophage.

The Glucophage isn't working and I'm having spikes in my BG reading of 17.5! I've been to doctors tonight and he has prescribed Linagliptin. This has to be taken as well as my Glucophage.

Has anyone or is anyone on this tablet and can you report any side effects at all.

I'll be grateful for any help.

Thanks

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I thought glucophage was another name for metformin? Perhaps you are now on the slow release version, which is usually easier on the stomach?

Here is some info about linagliptin, including possible side effects:
http://www.drugs.com/cdi/linagliptin.html

Have you also reduced the amount of carbs you are eating? Do you have a blood glucose meter and test strips? These may be important if you start to get low blood sugar, such as if you are sick.

queenie01

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Can't dos and won't dos
I've been on metformin (1500mg) (Glucophage) since diagnosis 1991 Type 2. I have now been put onto linagliptin from sitagliptin, so far no side effects. I also use Levemir and Novarapid insulin. You do need a meter and testing strips you need to ask and make sure they give these to you. Also as above you need to low carb, I had got up to 12 stone since going on insulin by using a lox carb diet in a year I have now lost 1st 7lbs. Your practice will probably say that you don't need to test as metformin gives very few hypos but if you drive and have signed the declaration, you do need to test before and during driving. I can see a huge problem occurring in a few years with T2 on tablet medication not testing and just relying on HBA1c from doctor. A year is a long time with symptoms.
Good Luck, stand up for yourself this is your life and you need the very best care. There is a lot of information on this website and forums, also have a look on NICE as well.

Reactions: 2 people

catmazdo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I've been on metformin (1500mg) (Glucophage) since diagnosis 1991 Type 2. I have now been put onto linagliptin from sitagliptin, so far no side effects. I also use Levemir and Novarapid insulin. You do need a meter and testing strips you need to ask and make sure they give these to you. Also as above you need to low carb, I had got up to 12 stone since going on insulin by using a lox carb diet in a year I have now lost 1st 7lbs. Your practice will probably say that you don't need to test as metformin gives very few hypos but if you drive and have signed the declaration, you do need to test before and during driving. I can see a huge problem occurring in a few years with T2 on tablet medication not testing and just relying on HBA1c from doctor. A year is a long time with symptoms.
Good Luck, stand up for yourself this is your life and you need the very best care. There is a lot of information on this website and forums, also have a look on NICE as well.

Hi queenie, thanks for the reply. I do a lot of driving with work (I'm a national business development mgr) and it does bother me that sometimes I'm driving up to 6 hours. I'm pushing for a prescription for testing strips despite the doc telling me that I don't need to test. It's costing me a fortune!! I will be more assertive from now as I don't feel like I'm receiving the care I need.

I need to research more on a low carb diet!