Liraglutide/Victoza

Paul_PC

Just wondering if anyone else on these boards has been prescribed with Liraglutide (Victoza)?

My blood sugars were horribly out of control (18+) for years, despite taking Metformin and Gliclazide. In October 2012 I had to stay in hospital when I suffered a mild heart attack. The diabetes team were horrified at my sugars and the consultant prescribed a Liraglutide injection. I was dead against it as I'd put off becoming insulin dependant for years; however, it was the best thing I've ever done. My blood sugars dropped almost immediately and are now around 4 or 5 first thing and maybe 6 in the evening. I've also lost almost 3 stone in weight because Liraglutide acts as an appetite suppressant and I now have no interest in eating.

I spoke to a diabetes nurse at my surgery during a regular check-up and she knew straight away that I'd been in hospital as GPs won't prescribe the stuff because it's so expensive! You have to ask if this is a false economy, given the longterm benefits.

If anyone's offered this treatment, I'd grab it with both hands!

Interested to hear any other experiences of it. :)

Apologies - I've just realised there are other threads on this subject. I did look first, honestly! :oops:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Dont worry Paul ...
The forum is a huge place and busy with lots going on.
Even I get 'lost' amongst here :)

I use victoza yes it is expensive per pen / box of 2 . £87 [if I remember correctly?]

My consultant will only prescribe this to patients that work hard - at trying getting their errattic BG levels down.
My levels were consistently peaking and troughing erratically despite trying my damdest to get them more
steadier or levelled out .

We tried numerous other therapys and meds all 'failed' OR I couldnt tollerate them. :roll:
My DSN suggested victoza along with my own GP and my consultant agreed as I could tollerate a peptide
enzyme - the ones used before failed to make a dent in my too high BG levels.
So we all knew I could tollerate the peptide formula... Hence why we risked trying victoza with me.
I took to it like a duck takes to a pond :thumbup:
No side effects at ALL ...
It nudges my BG's down by .6 [use 1.2unit dose]
The hypurin porcine insulin does the rest - I split dose using only 8/10units now each time.
Using the two together works ideally for me .
Whilst it works - I will remain on this therapy - am happy to do so .

It took me 12months to discover the right combo that will 'work' with me.
So it was a long road to travel with way too high BG levels along the journey .

Hope this helps .
Anna.

Paul_PC

anna29 said:
Dont worry Paul ...
The forum is a huge place and busy with lots going on.
Even I get 'lost' amongst here :)

I use victoza yes it is expensive per pen / box of 2 . £87 [if I remember correctly?]

My consultant will only prescribe this to patients that work hard - at trying getting their errattic BG levels down.
My levels were consistently peaking and troughing erratically despite trying my damdest to get them more
steadier or levelled out .

We tried numerous other therapys and meds all 'failed' OR I couldnt tollerate them. :roll:
My DSN suggested victoza along with my own GP and my consultant agreed as I could tollerate a peptide
enzyme - the ones used before failed to make a dent in my too high BG levels.
So we all knew I could tollerate the peptide formula... Hence why we risked trying victoza with me.
I took to it like a duck takes to a pond :thumbup:
No side effects at ALL ...
It nudges my BG's down by .6 [use 1.2unit dose]
The hypurin porcine insulin does the rest - I split dose using only 8/10units now each time.
Using the two together works ideally for me .
Whilst it works - I will remain on this therapy - am happy to do so .

It took me 12months to discover the right combo that will 'work' with me.
So it was a long road to travel with way too high BG levels along the journey .

Hope this helps .
Anna.

Hi Anna

Thanks, that's useful to know. I was on 0.6mg for a week and now on 1.2. My sugars this morning were 5.2 and that's only because had a cheeky bit of 81% dark chocolate before bed last night! Seeing my DSN this morning and the chances are they'll now start reducing my Gliclazide as my BGs are getting so low - unthinkable just a few months ago! Good luck!

kelvinclarke

Dislikes
smoking and smokers
Hi Paul,
my doctor put me on victoza about a year ago, unfortunately my bloods have started to climb again and it looks as if the next step will be insulin as my fasting blood is 13.2 and it only drops to 12.6 with victoza on board. I need surgery for a couple of things and here in Wale the Anesthetist won't look at you until you are 6.5 or below or 48 in the new money.

Kelvin

Bighans

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars
Hi Guys!

I use 76 units of Lantus at 2200hrs, 3 x 18 units of Novorapid and 1.2 of Victoza. Since i am on that med my sugar levels are between 6.6 and tops sometimes 21.5 before breakfast. Whatever I tried , my morning levels are hard to controll. only one thing i need to mention, i have to use steroids to control my Asthma and since I started using victoza , at least my weight remains stable. Any idea what I should change in my ways? i walk every day with the kids to school, and go swimming and we use our bikes on a regular basis. Any ideas please pm me, any help would be considered as i am on my last legs to get this right!!

hans

Paul_PC

Well update on my earlier. I got told off by my DSN this morning because my sugars are now too low! Anyone else been told "Don't drive below five"? As a result, they've now cut down on my Gliclazide, as expected. :D I'm also getting some feeling back in my toes!

I think for me the secret is to get my weight right down to optimum and carry on with the Liraglutide.

Paul_PC

kelvinclarke said:
Hi Paul,
my doctor put me on victoza about a year ago, unfortunately my bloods have started to climb again and it looks as if the next step will be insulin as my fasting blood is 13.2 and it only drops to 12.6 with victoza on board. I need surgery for a couple of things and here in Wale the Anesthetist won't look at you until you are 6.5 or below or 48 in the new money.

Kelvin

Hi Kelvin

That's not good.It seems it's all a bit of a juggling act! I know I got kicked off my cardiac rehab programme because my bloods were too high, and that was just gentle exercise!

Good luck with everything!

Paul

kelvinclarke

Dislikes
smoking and smokers
thanks Paul,
I spoke to my diabetic nurse this morning and she is converting me over to a once a day insulin on the 6th of February to try to get my bloods down so i can have the 2 surgeries i need she did say what i would beon but i can't remember the name only that it began with an r and will start on 12 units, rising by 2 units every 3 days unti control is established.

robbieuk

I have been on victoza for 3 months, my BG are between 10 & 11 with no sign of them reducing. I was initially told that my readings were acceptable but now I have been re-called to see the Doctor. I have lost 9 pounds in weight but hoping for more weight loss and lower readings

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Paul_PC said:
Well update on my earlier. I got told off by my DSN this morning because my sugars are now too low! Anyone else been told "Don't drive below five"?

Hi Paul PC .

My DSN gave me the rule of dont drive below a 7 BG level .
This will keep me safe for sure she chirped...
Have always remembered this and it does work for me :thumbup:

Anna.

Paul_PC

anna29 said:
Paul_PC said:
Well update on my earlier. I got told off by my DSN this morning because my sugars are now too low! Anyone else been told "Don't drive below five"?

Hi Paul PC .

Anna.

That's one thing I've found with being diabetic - all the conflicting information. My DSN told me this morning "Don't drive below five" and handed me a brochure. The info inside said don't drive below 4!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
anna29 said:
Paul_PC said:

Hi Paul PC .

Anna.
Well,Anna, I'm T2 but this rule would keep me safe, by keping me off the road :shock:
I feel pretty cr&p if my BG goes above 6.5 and I keep to the >=5.0 rule for driving.
If I work hard my BG will drop to 3.8 but I feel fine and Liver dump back to ~4.5 :thumbup:

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Paul

I must admit I am the same as you - I love Victoza :D I am also on insulin and I am having to reduce this as my blood sugars are running low - which for me is fantastic after having high blood sugar levels for years. I've lost over 3 stone since August and hopefully this will continue :)

I smiled at this "I got told off by my DSN this morning because my sugars are now too low" - that must have been a nice feeling :clap:

Karen

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Paul / fergus

Yes it can be confusing at times I agree :)

My DSN told me this when I had been so high BG for a long time .
Hence why she probably set the 7 level with me .
It has taken me a while to 'adjust' to the feeling of lowered levels .
Felt a bit groggy/spaced out initially till I 'adjusted' to the lowered levels .

Given time the diffference in feeling with lowered BG levels 'is' much pleasanter
than being too high BG .
It took me a bit to feel and recognise the difference :|
As had been high for too long :thumbdown:

Anna.

GroovyGran

Hi, I am new here, so not really sure if I am using the right thread?
I am afraid my problem goes further than trying to find the right meds for my diabetes type 2.
I have undergone tests and have had my letter saying I need a hysterectomy, I have abnormal cells. I am due to go in hospital on the 20th of February.
My problem is that they have phoned me up from the pre op assessment on Tue 22nd Jan to tell me that my blood sugar is through the roof? and my consultant has said it has to be better controlled before the op, because of healing etc. That doesn't give me much time! I have been quite poorly over Christmas with a chest infection, which resulted in my blood platelets being too low, these have fortunately improved now. I have downloaded as much information as I can, lot's of medical info plus low carb recipes which my nurse suggested. I go back for more blood results on Fiday 1st Feb, but if they are still too high, I only have a couple of weeks to get them under control!
I now bring you to my other problem!!!! I do have a phone appointment with my doctor tomorrow to try and sort it out.
I take Metformin SR, 1000 twice a day, and Victoza once daily. Recently (don't know why) my body will not seem to telerate the dose I am supposed to take. (1.2) I can tolerate the lowest dose, but a soon as I try to go to the next one, I am being sick and can't keep anything down? This is obviously affecting my Metformin SR, as I am bringing it back as it's still in my stomach being slow release. It hardly looks digested at all, just a little more jelly looking. (sorry for my descriptions) just trying to get the image across. I am at my wits end, as I don't want my operation to be put back! At the moment I am just injecting the smaller dose, and I will see what my doctor says tomorrow. I don't have anything to check my own levels at the moment so I will ask about that as well, as I have read some useful info about testing, and checking which foods don't send your sugar soaring!
any tips would really be appreciated, getting quite panicky now!
My previous meds were Metformin and Rosyglitazone, which I don't think is prescribed anymore. I have been diabetic for about 5 years. Sorry this is so long.

Paul_PC

I'm not a doctor (although I do work for the NHS), but I thought Metformin and Gliclazide were the meds of choice these days? Of course, in diabetes a lot has to do with controlling food intake. I used to over-eat for comfort, I admit, but since the Liraglutide (and also Sertraline to control anxiety/depression), I've stopped craving food, especially the sweet stuff I used to love! Meds can only go so far - lifestyle changes need to happen too. :)

bmorgen

It's ironic that you refer to gliclazide as the drug of choice "today" since it is a 50 year old drug with the extreme side effect of causing hypos. It's dirt cheap. Hence it is the NHS drug of choice. The fact that it is very very dangerous is offset by its low cost. NICE is not nice. Victoza, on the other hand, works better and has no serious side effects on the whole. The NHS seems to have plenty of money to handle diabetic hypos in A&E but no money for new, safer drugs. Sad.

anita may

Hi there.

Ive been on Victoza and metformin Sr now for 20 months .... lost 4st7lbs and feel fantastic.

Only time my levels go over 10 is when good old prednisolone is given to me for chest infects which play hell with my asthma.

Im so lucky that my doctor spotted my depression with my amount of drugs being taken (have got few other health issues) and sent me to see the consultant who prescribed the Victoza.

Ive never had a hypo but have a great doc who makes sure my B.G. test strips are supplied as regularly as I need them. Had to get a new metre last month old one gave up the ghost after 8years. I therefore see myself as very fortunate to have excellent care and support from a great team.

Good luck to anyone trying Victoza hope it works for you.
Best wishes to all diabetics and families

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

gilday

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I started taking Victoza 23 days ago, previously my sugar levels were 12.8, for many years. After eighteen days my sugar is in the normal range and for past five days has remained so. The lowest was 4.2 and the highest 5.8 and after food it is below 7.1. Over seven days the average is 5.7 and this will, decrease further.

It made me feel strange the first day after taking it the night before and again when I upped the dosage after the first week. I had a very interrupted sleep pattern for first couple of weeks, but this has settled down. I no longer wake during the night for a pee, so am getting a full nights uninterrupted sleep.

Me eating has reduced dramatically as I have little inclination to eat and when I do, my portion size is considerably smaller, as I am soon full.

I never take any notice of diet and eat what I feel like when I feel like it. What Victoza appears to do, by balancing out the bodies production of insulin in relation to demand; is give your body control again and takes away cravings for sugary foods. It is as if the body says I need vitamins and not carbohydrate and certainly not sugar!

This is an early stage report on my experience of Victoza, so I shall see how it works in the longer term. I have lost 7lb so far in weight and with my reduced diet I expect this to continue dropping. I am very conscious of the unhealthy consequences of starvation diets, (below 1000 calories). As it is difficult to gain a balanced intake of vitamins. This has led me to apply more thought to what I am going to cook for a meal to ensure I get a variety of food into my diet, as my appetite does not lend itself to this.

All I can do so far is praise this medication, and wait to see the new slimline version one day in the mirror!

novoguy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
Ha Paul,My DR put me on this Liraglutide/Victoza ,what a great drug my readings are much better right down to 7 in the morning and 6 to 7 at night and best of all you dont wont to eat bad foods ,its amazing drug I agree with you paul if you are asked if you wont it ,take it its a great drug .

Reactions: 2 people