Liver dumps

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone!

I've been doing really good with my bolus and basal regime since the beginning of the month. My diet isn't what it should be, but I am getting a good insight in how my body works with it and the insulin right now, so I am expecting to adjust this in the next 1-2 months without any real issues, budget permitting.

One thing I'm noticing is that my glucose shoots up when I exercise, but most particularly in the morning. The bread I eat in the morning is very fiber rich, so net carbs add up to 10 grams per slice. Two with a carb-free or low carb sandwich topping means I take 2 units of Novorapid. Without exercise within an hour or two after eating, I barely go up 1 or 2 points with this and then drop again.

But if I have to cycle somewhere within an hour or two after eating, my glucose can shoot up to 11 or even 13 afterwards. I'm assuming this is a liver dump in response to the cycling, but I'm not sure how to prevent it from happening. Do I eat a bit more carbs and take the corresponding amount of insulin? Do I inject more insulin than I should for what I eat because I can expect the liver dump?

Maybe the more important question is why the liver feels the need to dump the glucose when I have food and insulin in my system to fuel my muscles as I bike.

Curiously enough, this doesn't happen later in the day after I had lunch. Lunch tends to be almost exactly the same as breakfast, but I definitely end up lowering my glucose levels when I exercise in the afternoon. So no liver dumps then.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cortisol and adrenaline.

This is why I don't exercise. I should but not in the mood to figure all this out. My bad...
I rise from exercise any time of day and then drop at some random time within 12 hours and I never know when that will happen. I don't like hypos.

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey everyone!

I've been doing really good with my bolus and basal regime since the beginning of the month. My diet isn't what it should be, but I am getting a good insight in how my body works with it and the insulin right now, so I am expecting to adjust this in the next 1-2 months without any real issues, budget permitting.

One thing I'm noticing is that my glucose shoots up when I exercise, but most particularly in the morning. The bread I eat in the morning is very fiber rich, so net carbs add up to 10 grams per slice. Two with a carb-free or low carb sandwich topping means I take 2 units of Novorapid. Without exercise within an hour or two after eating, I barely go up 1 or 2 points with this and then drop again.

But if I have to cycle somewhere within an hour or two after eating, my glucose can shoot up to 11 or even 13 afterwards. I'm assuming this is a liver dump in response to the cycling, but I'm not sure how to prevent it from happening. Do I eat a bit more carbs and take the corresponding amount of insulin? Do I inject more insulin than I should for what I eat because I can expect the liver dump?

Maybe the more important question is why the liver feels the need to dump the glucose when I have food and insulin in my system to fuel my muscles as I bike.

Curiously enough, this doesn't happen later in the day after I had lunch. Lunch tends to be almost exactly the same as breakfast, but I definitely end up lowering my glucose levels when I exercise in the afternoon. So no liver dumps then.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

Have you tried LCHF? If you can adjust your body to burn the fats rather than the carbs, the liver dump may not be such a factor?

Reactions: Fido78

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried LCHF? If you can adjust your body to burn the fats rather than the carbs, the liver dump may not be such a factor?

I want to, but my finances are too tight to go full lchf at this time. (Combined factor of fixed income, limited transportation and location reducing shopping choices.) Once I've had my next quarterly checkup I want to go lchf 3 days a week though for sure.