Living in Cyprus with Type 1 - cost options

uruudoshi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I hope some of your may be able to help deep dive into what are the best options if moving to Cyprus.
I am a Type 1 over 30 years and want to move to Cyprus but remain a British Citizen. Can I still obtain insulin supplies from the UK and if so how could this work? Does anyone know the cost of buying supplies in Cyprus (NovoRapid & Glargine, plus test strips and glucogen)?
If you register with the hospital while living there, what is the cost of receiving perhaps half annual check up's?
If anyone can help it would be appreciate as this is one of the most important aspects for our move and the options available to us.
Thank you, Jacqueline.

D

Deleted Account

I don't know about healthcare in Cyprus. However, I am pretty sure that you cannot register with a GP (and, hence, get prescriptions) if you live outside the UK.
The NHS website (https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/movingabroad/Pages/Introduction.aspx) explains, "If you are moving abroad on a permanent basis, you will no longer automatically be entitled to medical treatment under normal NHS rules. This is because the NHS is a residence-based healthcare system. You'll have to notify your GP so that you and your family can be removed from the NHS register."
Some people (e.g. when traveling on gap year travel) still remain registered and get friends/relatives to ship their supplies out to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dbr10

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jacqueline

Unfortunately, although I live in Cyprus I do not know the answers to the questions you raise.

I believe all t1 diabetics are entitled to free insulin and supplies for testing glucose but not being t1 myself, I am not certain about this, or whether that would extend to non Cypriots living in Cyprus.

I suggest that you consider contacting the Cyprus Diabetic Association
Tel: +357 22 669540
http://www.diabetes.org.cy/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=110&Itemid=32

Reactions: dbr10

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no idea about Cyprus. But IF they let you buy your insulin from other countries via the mail you might consider getting some written prescriptions from your GP in the UK before you leave and shop around online for a deal. For 25 years I was not insurable in the US because of diabetes (I was self employed). So I'd write my own rx (I'm a physician) and fax them to a supplier in Canada and save about half over what I'd have paid here. Then Obama made it illegal (another prostitute for the drug companies). If you can get your insulin prescriptions there you might be able to shop around for the insulin and come out pretty good. Strips I get online through Diabetes Wholesale website. TrueTrack is the brand. 500 strips for $100, cheap.