Living with t1

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Soo i am new to anyrhing like this, was diagnosed at 15 with T1 i am now 30 was never the best diabetic as i felt ashamed and didnt want to be different, i work as a nurse and sorted my act out..however i did it to fast and got my hba1c from 123 to 63 in 3 months and as a result i have had lazer after lazer and injections to help with retinopathy my sight is bad but luckily i can still read ect at ine point i couldnt see my own face! So im lucky in that respect...however i do feel lime my life is over and i have nothing to look forward to, i just feel like pwolle dont u derstand, my work is terrible i had a bad hypo 1.8 and it took 30mins for someone to notice tgey thought i was drunk!! Sorry for the rant just i feel a bit alone...or i get my husbands brothers got t2 diabetes so i know how you feel...really dont, just wondering if anyone else has felt like this?

Reactions: himtoo

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your reply! And hopefully i will feel a bit vetter being on here now dispite how common diabetes is now theres not many people i know with it probably about 3 people, i will check out the link x

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your story sounds a lot like mine actually.........

diagnosed at 15, now 34..........didn't really look after it starting from late teens to early twenties........

had an almost overnight change in control from poor to good and my eyes were effected....

I now have general retinopathy and mild maculopathy in both eyes....no treatment required as of yet thankfully.....

I personally have quite a relaxed attitude to my life with diabetes.....its doesn't take top spot on things that are important to me, although that doesn't mean I don't make the effort to keep it under control.......this I suppose will be different for everyone who has it....

ultimately though you have lots to live for and it certainly doesn't sound like you are doing too bad......just take each day as it comes and take comfort in family and friends....

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah that is pretty much like me! Luckily the lazer and injections have worked wonders! Suppose sometimes i just feel like im 30 no fella no kids and diabetes haha what is going on in my life! Family dont really get it and neither do my friends i think it is a complicated condition even ny fellow nurses cant get their head around it, im hooing that joing here i can make some new friends and at least i have someone to talk to about it

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely, these forums are a great source of support and knowledge....

If you can get the diabetes under control then it will take a back seat......good control wont help with the other issues you are going through but it will make you feel more positive any....

Do you get the opportunity to get out and meet blokes.....?

The diabetes certainly shouldn't stop you.....;)

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nahh not really everyone i know has a fella married or has kids si dont have the time, and dont really rate the dating apps, so it is just me and the cats although saying that in the past i probably gave up on guys are i didnt want to tell them about the diabetes

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
you have done the hardest part already by sorting yourself out, I'm a longer timer diabetic 45 years now sine I was 2 1/2 and have had a few problems steming back to when I was younger. You never know when the right man may come along as life is funny like that. I personally have by choice gave up on women....... had a long time GF and had 2 kids but we (me and the ex) didn't get along and stayed together for a few years after the youngest was born until we just couldn't stand the sight of each other, tbh its probably the best thing that could have happened as this is when I sorted myself out too. Also I talk to everyone about my Diabetes ( I bore the socks of people at work ) but its good for people to know the situation. Chin up and feel free to rant as much as you like, its good to get it off your chest :)

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aww thanks for the pep talk!! I kbow you are right! Just been having a shoddy time at work regarding trying to explain the importance of my breaks ect i think because it isnt a physical diability people find it hard to understand just what your body is going through, im sure it will wprk out eventually hba1c was 74 in july just to visit the consultant in a couple of weeks for bloods ect my kidneys and everythibg seem to be in good order so i suppose thats a positive

Reactions: himtoo and Gaz-M

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I find work hard atm as we are in term time and working as a chef at the uni so its full on graft and barely get time to test my blood sugar, been using the libre for the past 7 weeks and its been a godsend, I'm hopeing it gets put on my prescription soon but not gonna hold my breath

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ohh is that the one where it is like the implanted BS monitor? My gp said no chance to that! Ive signed up to a research thing for trials just incase a new meter or somethibg comes out, yeah work is bad i end up testing 5 or 6 times a day on shift it is a little better now since i threatened to get my trade union involved as they were going against the equality act so by law they have to support me

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
yeah its similar to a CGM, well worth it if you can afford it

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey there @Soapybubs87
a warm welcome to the forum !!:)

you're a total inspiration -- just reading how you have turned things round , are ACTUALLY working as a nurse ( and being diabetic ) OMG -- you are a star !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love that you are giving back to all our well being !!

I can imagine you being the very best nurse on the ward ( as well as the whole hospital )

deffo check into the freestyle libre -- see your DSN ( diabetic nurse ) she might be able to get you a free trial to get started
then maybe you could wear one from time to time to see how you are doing 24/7 -- they are great for seeing patterns for adjusting .

finally -- a huge HELLO and glad to have you on the team !!
x

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aww that is so lovely and really made me smile!! Thank you @himtoo
You're a nurse and you wish your colleagues understood what T1 actually means. You say you were a 'bad' diabetic (what's one of those? It's a bu**er to live with! You mean you're human!) but you've got a grip on it now. You could be the most understanding, caring, empathetic and inspirational DSN ever. Is this a direction you have considered?

All the best

Shiba

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're a nurse and you wish your colleagues understood what T1 actually means. You say you were a 'bad' diabetic (what's one of those? It's a bu**er to live with! You mean you're human!) but you've got a grip on it now. You could be the most understanding, caring, empathetic and inspirational DSN ever. Is this a direction you have considered?

All the best

Shiba
Do you know what i have never actually thought about taking my career in that direction! Which is crazy as i remember growing up it used to miff me off how doctora would say it isnt a big deal when really i felt like saying well my whole life has been turned upside you have no idea what it is like or how hard it is to be spoken to and tutted at by doctors who think it is easy whwn hell if i get too hot my BS goes up! Defo given me food for thought

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you know what i have never actually thought about taking my career in that direction! Which is crazy as i remember growing up it used to miff me off how doctora would say it isnt a big deal when really i felt like saying well my whole life has been turned upside you have no idea what it is like or how hard it is to be spoken to and tutted at by doctors who think it is easy whwn hell if i get too hot my BS goes up! Defo given me food for thought
If you ever do go in that direction, let us on this forum know first so we can be at the front of the queue .

Shiba.