Lo-Carb Hi (nonsat) Fat Diet benefits

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My continued success with the LCHF diet continues. As those who have read my previous responses will know, I started it 15th May 2016 and weighed in at 134.5 kg. Standing on the scales this morning I was 113.8kg.
Benefits to date include weight loss of 18.1% bodyweight, reduction of BMI from 39.1 to 33.1, Leg oedema no longer, Blood pressure dropped from average 156/120 P99 to 137/92 P72, NO Stretch marks on tummy, and no longer taking Indapamide nor Gliclazide. Further, I have observed that my daily cholesterol intake is AVERAGE 0 daily. I am supremely chuffed with myself, and will continue until 15th May 2017 to see what a year on the re-education will be (I do not regard as a diet as I find no hardship in maintaining it!!!)

Last edited:

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My continued success with the LCHF diet continues. As those who have read my previous responses will know, I started it 15th May 2016 and weighed in at 134.5 kg. Standing on the scales this morning I was 113.8kg.
Benefits to date include weight loss of 18.1% bodyweight, reduction of BMI from 39.1 to 33.1, Leg oedema no longer, Blood pressure dropped from average 156/120 P99 to 137/92 P72, NO Stretch marks on tummy, and no longer taking Indapamide nor Gliclazide. Further, I have observed that my daily cholesterol intake is AVERAGE 0 daily. I am supremely chuffed with myself, and will continue until 15th May 2017 to see what a year on the re-education will be (I do not regard as a diet as I find no hardship in maintaining it!!!)

You have done amazingly well so congratulations . Why are you low saturated fats? there seems to be quite a lot of research pointing towards increasing saturated fats and reducing polyunsaturated fats , if on a weight reducing diet- ie eating saturated fats per se is not bad for you and does not lead to increases in circulating saturated fats. it is only when combined with high carbs in a generally fat increasing diet, that they cause problems . Similarly eating cholesterol does not translate into higher blood cholesterol. if you enjoy your diet as it is and its working, then that's great, but you might find that you are restricting your food choices more than you need to. I have lost a similar amount of weight ( 115-91kg in a slightly shorter period - since August ) with no medications but because of the research I have not limited either saturated fats or cholesterol intake - which gives a broader range of food choices- so it might be worth thinking about that when you get to 18th May !

(look at research by Tim Noakes, Zoe Harcombe etc ),

Reactions: Prem51 and PNJB

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is pretty much shown that saturated fats are not the culprit - trans fats, however - convicted of mass murder.
Also we do not absorb much cholesterol from our diet, but make it for ourselves - it is an essential part of our makeup.
If we did absorb and store things from our diet, I should be green - all that chlorophyll.

Reactions: Prem51

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
High saturated fats definitely caused my (and hubby) cholesterol to get worse. He was out on 40md atoravastatin.... going purely to just one single cream coffee in morning and no more double cream, cheese etc got my trigs back down to 0.5 and the improved hdl/ldl levels.

Infact just had levels done after having double cream and cheese over christmas... and LDL gone back to 3.1... not good. Could also have still been my cancer horrible tablet impacting too...so will be getting done again in 3 months...now I'm off the cancer tablet and back to purely healthy Mediterranean fats again.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was also going to ask why you are avoiding cholesterol intake. As said above, the myth that certain cholesterol containing foods such as eggs are bad for you was debunked a long time ago. Our livers make our cholesterol, or at least the vast majority of it, and we need it to live. If you trust your liver (and I do) then let it look after you. It should produce the amount your body needs. (Unless you have Familial hypercholesterolaemia - a faulty gene). What does cause a problem is high carbs.

Some people do say saturated fats raise their levels, but these are in the minority.

Very, very well done on your progress so far. :)

Reactions: Prem51 and PNJB

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was also going to ask why you are avoiding cholesterol intake. As said above, the myth that certain cholesterol containing foods such as eggs are bad for you was debunked a long time ago. Our livers make our cholesterol, or at least the vast majority of it, and we need it to live. If you trust your liver (and I do) then let it look after you. It should produce the amount your body needs. (Unless you have Familial hypercholesterolaemia - a faulty gene). What does cause a problem is high carbs.

Some people do say saturated fats raise their levels, but these are in the minority.

Very, very well done on your progress so far. :)

A good question (as ever ) BT, Following your original advice, I have re-educated my food intake on the basis of eat what I need, rather than eat for the sake of it. As you will be aware, Fatty Liver is one of the elements the GP monitors because of the prescribed medicines and myALT reading is on the upper border), and, dealing only with the cholesterol my body naturally creates is a sound reason for absorbing no more of either than I have to. My current diet meets both my functional needs and my desires, so best of both worlds as as I can see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My cholesterol goes up with too much saturated fat as well as my weight. I pay no attention to cholesterol in food but I have no reason to, at least not yet.
I do eat rare lean beef or lamb a few times a week but I cut the visible fat. It makes me feel great. I eat loads of fish and some poultry. No skin thanks. Butter rarely. I feel a tad bogged down, low energy with saturated fats. Oh, and only very small amounts of cheese very occasionally. No dairy other than that.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, I avoid saturated fats, and any food that pushes my cholesterol up as well.
You're enjoying your diet, your getting the results you want, it must be working for you as well.