Long distance running and insulin

AlexandraMarnie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help me with some advice.

I'm doing the great north run in 3 weeks time and have been really struggling with my training because I keep either waking up hypo so I end up not going out, or I go out starting at about 8 and the crash and hypo about 1.5/2 miles in. I use a pump so only use novorapid and usually put a temp basal reduction on.

Does anyone have any advice on what to eat on a night or morning of a run that will help to stop my levels going low? Should I be reducing the amount of insulin I take prior to going out? To complicate things further, I'm also vegan ‍♀️♀️

Thanks!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm doing the great north run in 3 weeks time and have been really struggling with my training because I keep either waking up hypo so I end up not going out, or I go out starting at about 8 and the crash and hypo about 1.5/2 miles in. I use a pump so only use novorapid and usually put a temp basal reduction on.

Does anyone have any advice on what to eat on a night or morning of a run that will help to stop my levels going low? Should I be reducing the amount of insulin I take prior to going out? To complicate things further, I'm also vegan ‍♀️♀️

Thanks!
Hello:)

What pump do you use?

What about reducing your TBR further prior to setting out for your run? I also believe that changing a TBR isn't instantaneous and you should wait 1-2 hours to allow the change to take effect.

Do you take fast acting carbs with you when you're out?

It's important to have no (or at least as little) bolus on board as possible before setting out for exercise. Any BOB will work harder and faster than usual when your muscles start to work and can cause hypos.

If you feel you really need to eat before going out, I'd be taking a lot less insulin than normal. For me - usually about 50% less. But we're all different.

If you're having hypos during the night after exercise then you may want to set another TBR for overnight or have a snack before bed. As you have a pump, you have the flexibility of building tailor made basal profiles for your days. So you could set up TBR's for exercise days and TBR's for rest days. I don't pump, but I think that's a sensible idea:)

@catapillar and @Bon83 are keen runners. I'm sure they'll give a lot better advice than me:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Snapsy

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you checked out run sweet - http://www.runsweet.com/diabetes-and-sport/marathon-running/

If you are using a TBR, that should really be on for at least 2hrs pre run. And it might need to be up to 80% reduced.

Run with no insulin on board for a long run. You might need to think about having some unbolused for complex carbs to see you through the run. If you are dropping as early as mile 1 or 2 you might need to have some fast carbs t the start to see that off.

Reactions: Juicyj and GrantGam

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @AlexandraMarnie89 i can only tell you what works for me, I set a target so that my Bg levels are above 7 mmol/l beforehand and eat a small banana and a very small orange juice before running as well as turn off my basal for the duration of the run, I did a 3km yesterday following these rules and when finished I was at 7.8mmol/l, then one hour later was 9.5 mmol/l which I was cool with. I carry my meter and jelly babies whilst out, that's all though. Doing small runs and following same rules will build your confidence. I would be keen to follow your story, can you let us know how you get on ?

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@AlexandraMarnie89 the morning hypos sound really annoying in that they're preventing your morning training - is your basal a little too high, or is it that your blood glucose drops as a result of training in the later half of the previous day? I am prone to hypos many many hours after training.

I run in the mornings, before I eat, and because I only do short distances (5km or so) I find my blood sugar climbs rather than falls. Your sudden drops so soon into your runs would indicate to me that you have too much insulin on board to start with - or, to put it the other way round, not enough carbs - @Juicyj 's snack advice sounds good in that respect.

If I'm running after a meal, with insulin on board, I turn my pump's basal rate down to 50% an hour before the run, and depending on my blood glucose just before I run I will then sometimes turn it down to 20% or even zero.

And Glucotabs in my sports bra are a must........

:)

Reactions: Juicyj
D

Deleted Account

Your morning/night time hypos may be due to the run the previous day.
I find after exercise, I need to set a reduced TBR for the next night.
I believe the reason for this is that the exercise has used up your liver supplies which means there is less glucose to "drip" into your blood during the night so you need less insulin to mop this up.

Others responses have covered your mid-run hypos. One suggestion I would add is a few drops of fruit squash/cordial in your water bottle. This would allow you to easily take on sugar as you run. I find I don't need much - I can barely taste it - and it is better than taking pre-mixed exercise drinks with me because I can control the strength.

Good luck in the GNR. I hope you get a chance to enjoy the atmosphere.

Reactions: Juicyj

norey101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I am having the same issues, just today my bloods dropped from 13.5 to 2.9 in the hour after waking, with no correction dose and about a 1 mile slow jog. I am going to try the suggestions above - reduce basal by 80% and have a glass of juice.
How have you been getting on @AlexandraMarnie89 ?

mark4785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

Thanks!

I use a pump too and when exercising I drop my basal rate to 0.3 units per hour from 1.0 units per hour. I also ensure I eat something of real substance beforehand to ensure my blood sugar levels remain steady such as a baked potato with a small amount of baked beans. I tend to give about 40% less bolus insulin for that particular meal as you want to keep some amount of sugar "stuck" in your blood stream in readiness for the forthcoming exercise. Some other recommendations would be to not take Metformin, cinnamon or anything else that increases insulin-sensitivity before or during exercise though consult your Doctor first before making such changes.

Good luck!