Long life salad

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Guys, I want to have some salad in the fridge that lasts for at least a week. I like plum tomatoes and they last a week. I would also like some diced white/red cabbage with a sour taste. Is there anything like this available? Like pickled one, but without the sugars that most pickled things come with? Also, can you suggest me other long life salad? Onions ofcourse are a good one. Anything else that I could consider? Those precut salads in a bag, I think only last a couple of days? Do they are not convenient.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Iceberg lettuce, cut it when you need it. Cucumber, celery, olives. You can pickle cabbage using sweetener of your choice instead of sugar. Keep live herbs like parsley and basil on the windowsill to cut.

Hotpepper20000

I buy Romain, radicchio, and other lettuce that comes whole. Even red or green cabbage.
On Sunday I take half of what I need for the week. I mix diffent varieties. I chop it and wash it. I it dry and then put it in plastic bags with a paper towel.
I do it again later in the week as well.
Depending on the lettuce some will last the whole week chopped and wrapped in the paper towel. Butter lettuce doesn't.
You can add herbs like basil and parsley as well. Then right before you eat it add and other vegetables.

Reactions: Prem51

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Peppers, radishes, celery, cucumber, tomatoes, spring onion (keep in water) romaine lettuce keeps well, I make a coleslaw with thinly sliced red cabbage, onion and a dash of apple cider vinegar for a sharp taste.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Guys, I want to have some salad in the fridge that lasts for at least a week. I like plum tomatoes and they last a week. I would also like some diced white/red cabbage with a sour taste. Is there anything like this available? Like pickled one, but without the sugars that most pickled things come with? Also, can you suggest me other long life salad? Onions ofcourse are a good one. Anything else that I could consider? Those precut salads in a bag, I think only last a couple of days? Do they are not convenient.

You could grow some fast growing salad leaves on a window ledge? Depends on how much you're happy to do? We usually sow 2 little pots of salad leaves a week, then after 4 weeks you've got a rotation going.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Google the phrase "salad in a jar." They last for a week apparently if they are layered correctly.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that the bagged salad (I use baby leaf spinach and rocket) does last a week - just use a clip to secure the top of the bag after opening.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's no sugar in my pickled red cabbage @carbolysis

If you don't like red cabbage, you could try something greener....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Those precut salads in a bag, I think only last a couple of days?

They last longer than that, I've eaten them 5-6 days after purchasing. When you buy the salad reach to the back of the shelf to get the bag with the best use-by-date, but as with all salad ingredients make sure you rinse in cold water (and keep refrigerated) before eating.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Waldorf salad. We find the raw ingredients last well so long as you do not prepare the salad. Once prepared, it needs to be eaten on the day, so make it up only when you need it.

Celery, apple, hard cheese, and mayo is basic recipe we use, but can add walnuts, sultanas (or maybe not if VLC). grated carrot.
Altermative that keeps well as ingredients in the fridge (i.e. unprepared) is coleslaw. white cabbage, grated carrot, carawway seeds, and of course mayo.

The secret lies in keeping the ingredients in the fridge uncut / unpeeled and the mayo well away from them until the day of use.

Reactions: geeraft

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I only buying salad stuff for myself, and find it does keep for a week in the salad chiller shelf in my fridge.
Apart from the suggestions above, i would add avocadoes.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I only buying salad stuff for myself, and find it does keep for a week in the salad chiller shelf in my fridge.
Apart from the suggestions above, i would add avocadoes.
Agree with all of this, but avacados, while being nice and good for us, do go off very quickly when peeled or cut, so again, only prepare on the day of use. Also avacados can 'turn' very quickly, so can have a short shelf life if bought already ripened. Aldi do a pak of 'ripen at home' avacados at a resonable price, and these will last up to a week, but guaging when they are at their use on date can be problematic.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with all of this, but avacados, while being nice and good for us, do go off very quickly when peeled or cut, so again, only prepare on the day of use. Also avacados can 'turn' very quickly, so can have a short shelf life if bought already ripened. Aldi do a pak of 'ripen at home' avacados at a resonable price, and these will last up to a week, but guaging when they are at their use on date can be problematic.
I tend to buy ripe ones and then put them in the fridge.. seems to stop them turning so quickly and I have had them for up to a week with no brown gunge...

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Refrigerating avocados does stop the ripening. I always have some ( loads) in various stages. If you put them in the fridge just after they have some 'give' they will last well over a week. I've had as many as 14 ripe at one time and they were all great. That's wasn't on purpose. They were taking about 5 days to ripen and they went from green to ripe in less than 2 days. I buy them in 6 count bags. I'd rather have too many than not enough.