Long life salad

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep radishes celery onion and bok choy chopped and in a bowl with water ( no water for onion) and then assembly is easy! Makes for a good snack too.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The only salad veg I find doesn't keep for a week are red/yellow/green peppers which tend to go soft if you don't use the whole pepper. I find they keep crisp longer if you cut the pips and inner pith off any unused portion and keep it in chilled water in the fridge.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh - I eat them when barely defrosted, sort of avocado icecream - I have never tasted them fully defrosted, as I assumed that they would not have survived the process, like strawberries.

Sweet_Sophie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only salad veg I find doesn't keep for a week are red/yellow/green peppers which tend to go soft if you don't use the whole pepper. I find they keep crisp longer if you cut the pips and inner pith off any unused portion and keep it in chilled water in the fridge.

I dry roast my peppers in the oven and add them during the week in salads. Would that be ok? I'm a newbie

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I dry roast my peppers in the oven and add them during the week in salads. Would that be ok? I'm a newbie

Yes, thats fine. I roast mine in big batches in olive oil - along with aubergine, courgette, red onion and cherry tomatoes. Its a big favourite with both me and Mr Chook so I've usually got some in the fridge - sometimes I add some to salad and sometimes I just scatter some cubed goats cheese or fetta over for a light lunch.

You can buy jars of already roasted peppers but I don't think they have the toasty flavour of home roasted.

MuntiJay

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
try salad with these ingredients:
crab sticks, onion, rice, cucumbers and corn

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The rice and corn would cause me serious spikes I think you may need to try a small portion and test
CAROL

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
Assuming you are in the UK lidl do a lettuce that's still growing in a bit of soil with rooting.
Its 99p and you just add a drop of water and lasts over a week depending of course how much you eat.
I really like it.
The other obvious alternative is grow your own and just take the leaves off as and when.

Good luck

Tony

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those precut salads in a bag, I think only last a couple of days? Do they are not convenient.
If you line an airtight plastic food container with kitchen towel put in the lettuce and close container keep in the fridge and it will last twice as long as keeping it in the bag