1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Looking for a pal who understands

Discussion in 'Young People/Adults' started by izzy_b, Aug 9, 2017.

1. izzy_b

izzy_b Type 1 · Member

Hi I'm 18 and just looking for someone to talk to and unload to about the daily struggles of diabetes. Friends, family and boyfriend try to be as helpful as possible but I don't really say much as don't want to worry them. So yeah it would be great to have someone there who gets it! P.S. I'm also a fab listener

• Like Like x 5
  2. Meggsie

Meggsie Type 2 · Member

Hi izzy. Id be happy to lend an ear.

type 2 on insulin plus oral medications. also have hashimotos and fsgs

3. pleinster

pleinster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi. Oh don't tell us you're a fab listener...I will moan the face off you! Hope you get talking to some people around your age.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sarzie

sarzie Type 1 · Member

Hey Izzy!
    I'm 19 and was diagnosed at the end of last year, I would love to talk. I find it's so difficult to speak about diabetes with friends because of our age and they just don't have the same stresses and responsibilities. :p

• Like Like x 2
  5. pierre.jay.

pierre.jay. Type 1 · Member

Hey izzy,
    I'm 17 with T1, had it for 2 years now. Would love to talk to someone else with T1, honestly ppl without it just don't seem to understand.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

6. bidder1603

bidder1603 Type 1 · Newbie

Hey I'm 21 and came looking for the exact same reasons! message me if ya like

• Like Like x 1
  7. tiredoftrying2017

tiredoftrying2017 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @izzy_b and @pierre.jay.

I've had T1 for 23 years and have had an insulin pump for 18 months. I'm definitely not an expert and get how difficult it is to talk to others who just don't get it however hard they try.

I also had to cope with the challenges of T1 through the stress of exams and uni.

Happy to help in anyway possible :)

8. Lulu9101112

Lulu9101112 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey there I'm 18 too and had Type 1 diabeties since I was 7

Happy to help :)

9. Hammyjames50

Hammyjames50 Type 1 · Newbie

Hey guys new to this but I'm 21 type 1 since 15 really struggle at the start to come to terms with my diabetes in time took its toll on my been in hospital the last 10 months of the year had a very bad parasitic infection that was causing cyst in my stomach and this took my sugars to uncontrollable levels so while in hospital they commensed me on to the Omnipod pump and by god it saved my life literally now I'm really struggling eating as now I have gastroperesis and also a peg feed through my stomach into my small bowel I have lots of problems now on my bowels and they don't want to empty so on things so help empty my bowel then need more test on my bowel if they eventually empty then also I have 2 kidney stones that are lodged in my urinary tract so an op on oct 12 to laser them out and fit a stent as they have been there now over 6 months always looking to speak to someone that I can relate to

10. prickles1998

prickles1998 Type 1 · Active Member

Hi guys,
    I'm 19 and was diagnosed just before I turned 14 so I have a bit of time behind me. I have been hospitalised with dka and have had severe hypos of 1.5 mmol too so both ends of the spectrum .. happy to add anyone on snapchat anytime you feel down or puzzled about anything I'll talk, pm me for my snapchat Nicole

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

11. mitty6678

mitty6678 Type 1 · Member

Hi, hope you are ok? I have been a type1 for 18years and I am 23years old :)

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook