Type 1 Looking to do a cleanse, any suggestions?

LivabetesGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a lot of friends that have been doing different juice and food cleanses. They are all saying how great they are feeling afterwards and I want to try one out for myself. The idea of living off of juice for three days or more sounds a little daunting as a type one diabetic. Does anyone have any suggestions of a company they trust or experience doing a cleanse? Thanks!

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately, there's no scientific evidence to support juice cleanses (aside from the placebo effect). However, there is scientific evidence to prove that they can be very dangerous for diabetics.

Ultimately, these "Cleanses" offer no additional value beyond eating normal vegetables (and fruit) and simply avoiding processed foods.

Bottom line: as a diabetic you'd be subjecting yourself to a very dangerous dietary approach with no scientific evidence to support its effectiveness. Not only that, but you'd be paying an unnecessary premium by using products specifically marketed for these cleanses (compared to buying the same foods at the grocery store).

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think you may need to question your friends thinking in this area? No one needs a 'cleanse' as the liver and kidneys etc do this all day long. Veg juices may be fine but don't even think about fruit juices.

LivabetesGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yesterday I got in contact with a company. The nutritionist was very helpful and agreed that just plain juice for three days could potentially be a bad idea. She suggested a program that is mostly liquids but involves proteins and some carbs that will help me maintain my blood sugar levels for the three day period. I will keep you posted!

Edited to remove name of company.

Last edited by a moderator:

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
You don't work for them do you? Lol
I can't understand why you would want to part with over £161 for three days "cleanse" programme, which involves oats and rice risotto..

I had a look at this website. Cost of "cleansing" costs between more than £100 to more than £1000. That makes me suspicious immediately..but that's just me.

Reactions: 5 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You'd be better off planning your own 'clean' diet for three days. It's not hard to plan out a few days of plenty of veg, salads, good quality protein and carbs.

Do you carb count?

LivabetesGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have never worked for them, I recently became interested in naturopathic nutrition and that is the how their nutritionist is trained, which I found out via their company facebook page. Through a recent internship of mine I kept hearing about cleanses and wanted to try it because I have a hard time letting my diabetes stop me from doing anything. I was looking for support and answers from other diabetics who maybe had the same mind set. I still plan on going forward with the cleanse. Thank you all for you input.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Then hopefully somebody who has done this will be able to support you in your endeavours. Being honest, I can't see anything in this (expensive) programme that you couldn't do yourself at home. The body cleanses itself, and if you eat good fresh food, surely that's enough?

Anyway, my feeling is that the company is a rip off but whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck with it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I still plan on going forward with the cleanse.

When foods are broken down (as in juicing) they tend to spike bg levels quite heavily, just be sure to monitor your bg closely if you do go ahead.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Total. Waste. Of. Money. @LivabetesGirl

Your liver removes the crud from your system. It may seem surprising, but even "Cleanse" products contain "Toxins". Take Broccoli. No good "Cleanse" is complete without this superfood, but Broccoli contains Cyanide, much like other Brassicas, e.g. Sprouts and Cabbages (which is why kids generally don't like them). i.e, As part of your cleanse you are taking toxins.

In other words, eat a healthy diet, probably along the lines of a Mediterranean diet, and you don't need a fancy, expensive, rip-off "Cleanse" at all...

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do indeed!

Good : ) Watch out for carb-heavy drinks that look innocuous then. I've never done a cleanse, but I did go through a phase of making healthy smoothies and it's surprising how much carbs they can contain. As Noblehead has said above, they can be absorbed more quickly too and affect your blood sugar quicker.

It goes without saying, but do test often as you would with any change in diet.