Lose weight!!

Hodge1960

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well my doctor at hospital told me today that if I can loose weight I would be able to come off one of my metformin,and maybe off the other the year after..will that be the end of it as long as I don't pile the weight on??

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think that anyone can foretell the future to that extent - however, losing weight by eating low carb is what, I strongly suspect, kept diabetes at bay for me, possibly for a very long time, that is decades. I used to get dizzy spells in my twenties, and in my teens often felt very tired at around 3pm every day. I am 65 now.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well my doctor at hospital told me today that if I can loose weight I would be able to come off one of my metformin,and maybe off the other the year after..will that be the end of it as long as I don't pile the weight on??
Hi, @Hodge1960, losing weight is a struggle when you are producing too much insulin. But it is Important when you consider that the visceral fat you have hampers reducing your insulin resistance and your glucose levels.
So the less visceral fat the better your body will work reducing the level of insulin in your blood.
With RH the less weight you carry, the healthier you become.
Try and reduce your carbs more and try and do a little more exercise, a little more walking around will help, I know the weather is awful, but a little more each day and a little less food will always help.
I know it's really hard but as you are aware, diet is the only way to properly control the condition.
Best wishes, let us know how you are doing!