Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @RuthW

Thank you for replying.
I totally agree with you, that lchf doesn't suit everybody. As is often said, everyone is different.
Many T2s can incorporate carbs into their diet and it doesn't seem to affect them.
I am currently in ketosis, but I can't eat dairy or cooked greens as they make me vomit!
But funnily
I have grown to like spinach and I can and love full fat yoghurt!
I'm probably different to someone else in ketosis.
Different strokes for different folks.

I believe that the silent majority are the ones who like me, were advised to have the eat well plate and told to eat a carby, starchy meal. This is what has turned a nation of prediabetics T2s into the full wards of our hospitals, with so many full blown diabetics with huge problems, that could have been easily controlled and saving money by cutting funding for testing kits.
I wish that the health providers and powers that be, would get their heads from up their $$$$$ and out of their bank accounts and start doing something about controlling the problems that will ensue, if it's not!
Rant over. Do please read my blog about my journey, it's took nearly 15 years for me to get where I am.
If the problems didn't exist, and everybody was getting sound useful advice from the NHS, there would not be any need for this forum, would there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Steam Engineer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still losing weight, now 193lbs ( 13st 11lbs), slight hiccup with weight gain after trip to Dublin(Irish hospitality to blame), but now back on downward slope.

Reactions: 4 people

Steam Engineer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seem to have reached my limit with weight loss. Been 192lbs (13st 10lbs) for about three weeks now.
Not too bad, not complaining, surprised that I managed to get there, lost all together 59lbs since the start of October 2014.
And according to my doctor, I am no longer classed as type 2 diabetic, just have to stick to the diet and exercise and the diabetes will stay in remission. Still to get a yearly test etc. via the diabetes nurse.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's fantastic Steam Engineer!!

Bear in mind, weight loss is largely not linear & you are experiencing a normal plateau. Body has reached a level of homeostasis. Just need to persevere until your body says it's OK to start losing again. :)

Steam Engineer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight been steady at 190lbs (13st 8lbs) for a month now, still attending exercise class and gym three times a week.
Body shape has changed, have now got a waist again and now can look down and see my feet !
Only problems now are the arthritis and the neuropathy pains and numbness in my feet, at least everything else
is under control.:dead:

Y

Yorkshire_Ian

Cratat,

What I did was, I joined the type 2 testing program to get the blood glucose testing meter, testing strips and lancets, then started testing my blood glucose levels, this then gave me readings before meals and after meals to compare and I started "eating to the meter". Adjusting or changing quantities of what I was eating to try to control my blood glucose levels.
Cut down on meat intake, increased veg intake, reduced carbohydrates( reduced potato, pasta and rice etc) and included beans and pulses into meals.
Basically it means a complete change from meat and two veg.
Also cut out sweet things, sugar, chocolate etc. although the occasional treat is acceptable.
Doing this along with attending an exercise class( one hour a week) organised and arranged via the doctor's and the local council.
I decided that I was determined to get everything under control without the need for medication so that I could continue driving without restrictions.
I also started going to the gym at the local leisure centre, twice a week, for an hour each time, to help reducing the weight and increase my fitness at the same time.
Now I weigh myself daily, and if I find that my weight seems to stabilise for several days, then I look at reducing the quantity of food that I am eating, to keep the weight loss going ( losing about a pound every five or six days).

Thanks for that great advice!!! :)
I was a chocoholic before this happened, but found out via the dietician that two finger dark chocolate kitkats are only 106 calories, so I have one occasionally as my treat.
Weight still going down, I am now 200lbs in weight. Started off at 251lbs in the first week of October 2014.
Hope this helps.

Y

Yorkshire_Ian

I am 61 years old, 5ft 5ins and was recently diagnosed with Type2. I am on the diet and exercise plan. I am partly agoraphobic and so cannot attend the gym. However, I bought myself a stepper and plan to buy a pedometer. I have eliminated a lot of processed foods and and am eating healthily. I started out (on18/11/15) at 14st 3lbs and am now (30/12/15) 13st 8lbs. My goal is 12st, though that is higher than my BMI level. But this is something I will be discussing with my dietitian.

hchick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. At least you've made a start I think if you followed your BMI you'd prob be too thin. Mine is ridiculously low at 8st 5lb. I've been 9st before but went to a size 6. If I follow my BMI I would be and look really ill and unhealthy. My aim is to be at 10st (size 10)

How hard are you finding cutting out processed food?

Regards. H

Reactions: 2 people
Y

Yorkshire_Ian

Hi H. Yes, a start! I have managed to lose weight before, in about 2000. I went down to 7 stones in 1998, owing to ulcerative colitis and then followed by an operation to perform an ileostomy (which i still have). I eventually went up to 14 stones but lost 4 stones on the Slimming World diet, but looking back at old photos I looked ill!!!! When I met my wife (second one) in 2012 I was 12 stones 4 pounds and felt really good. However, I crept back up to over 14 stones. My BMI says I should be 10 stones but I am aiming for 12 stones. Well done on your success and I wish you all the very best.

With the processed foods things are slowly getting there. I am examining food labels online, before buying in store. My wife, who is also Type2 but on meds, is not finding it as easy as me as this is what she has been used to all here life, whereas I was a vegetarian for 15 years a long time ago and so am used to different foods such as lentils and soya products.How about you?

Regards

Ian

hchick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Thanks for reply. I've not had any success yet as I've not started. Seriously considering slimming world but don't know if it's a waste of money as they appear to be high carb/low fat. My doc days I should eat lots of protein carb with every meal and little fat/dairy. Because of the kids and a tight budget seem to live on a lot of processed foods although I eat a lot of salad type foods. And lots of salmon. You seem to have this think nailed tho whereas I'm totally kicking against it. Love my chocolate

Kind regards

H

Reactions: 2 people
Y

Yorkshire_Ian

Hi

Have you seen a dietitian? My diabetes nurse recommended this, though I've not had my first session yet, that's on the 27th Jan. Amazon have some good books and this site and others have good recipes. Slimming World is good, but, like Weight Watchers it might be a bit tricky in adapting it for people with our condition. My advice is to have a word with your diabetes nurse - if you have one - if not, go to your GP and ask to be referred to one. Am a newbie so I can only give you what I have learned myself. Hope it helps.

Kind Regards

Ian

Reactions: busydiabeticmum

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Hi Cratat,

I have been obese all my life. peaked at 25st. over the last 3 years or so stable at around 23st. have been through sooo many diets over the last 30 years but would never be able to sustain for more than 2-3 months at a time, so the weight would come back. I have always blamed myself for this lack of willpower. I WAS WRONG.

Just under 9 months ago, I committed to a low carbohydrate way of eating. I swore off ALL sugars & starches. The first week was absolute hell. From then on, slowly but surely, ALL my cravings have disappeared & almost effortlessly I have lost 5st. When you have hormonal imbalances/Insulin Resistance/Erratic Blood Sugar whatever it may be, you are literally fighting "biological cravings" and that is a fight that is difficult to win.

You need to remove these cravings to facilitate a level playing field. That should give your willpower a fair chance to succeed.

I sincerely hope this helps. All the best!!
AGREE ! I love low carb.No feelings of hunger. Lots of new food to try . Most impressed with boiled veg and added salt pepper mustard vinegar etc and had a delicious plate . Very easy to diet. Only hard part is weighing and recording and that soon becomes easy. Realised I had never before really eaten vegetables - they had always been a little patch on the side of a plate loaded with spuds and meat.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, @Steam Engineer, how have you gotten on with weight lose since last post?

I am doing HIIT exercises and extreme low carbs... I have hit a plateau... I started at 120kg (though that was 9 months pregnant lol) then took a year to get down to 85kg (which is the norm since I was 18yrs) once diagnosed type 2 I went on the low carbs and actually started exercising... I lost 20kg in 4 months... haven't been able to lose any since... I also lost 20cm from my waist... nothing since then! Seems my body wants me to get close to death before conceding any weight!
I was told the scales are liars which us true... if test after breakfast I am weighing my food, so before is definitely better... also muscles weigh more than fat so if you are exercising it may just be you are developing muscle content rather than fat.

How did you get past this plateau if you reached your target... would be great to know!

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Hi, @Steam Engineer, how have you gotten on with weight lose since last post?

I am doing HIIT exercises and extreme low carbs... I have hit a plateau... I started at 120kg (though that was 9 months pregnant lol) then took a year to get down to 85kg (which is the norm since I was 18yrs) once diagnosed type 2 I went on the low carbs and actually started exercising... I lost 20kg in 4 months... haven't been able to lose any since... I also lost 20cm from my waist... nothing since then! Seems my body wants me to get close to death before conceding any weight!
I was told the scales are liars which us true... if test after breakfast I am weighing my food, so before is definitely better... also muscles weigh more than fat so if you are exercising it may just be you are developing muscle content rather than fat.

How did you get past this plateau if you reached your target... would be great to know!

Hi would be nice if you shared your diet and how you overcame the plateau so many including myself struggle with weight loss we should each try and help each other with information.K

Steam Engineer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am still sticking to the diet, eased off a little bit, which resulted in putting on some weight, went up to 216 lbs by start of March, this year, went back on the diet totally and increased my exercise regime, weight now 205lbs.
Trying to get back to 200lbs or just below that if possible.
My diet is basically low carbohydrate, cutting out as much as possible of bread, potatoes, rice and pasta.
Still have them but only occasionally.
I have also increased my exercise regime, so have taken out yearly membership at gym at the local swimming pool, and now attend the gym four times a week when I can fit it in

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Weight still going down, now 195lbs. That's 56lbs I have lost since diagnosed as type 2 seven months ago.
Now my doctor advises me that I am no longer classed as diabetic, as long as I keep to the diet and the exercise regime.
Relax too much on these can bring it back into the equation.
Well done, that's a great achievement on your part, welcome to the diet controlled club @Steam Engineer