Need to lose weight.

Claire72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
I'm newly diagnosed. I saw the dietician today who said I'd benefit from losing a few pounds. I'm 5ft 7 and weigh 12.3. It's the heaviest I've ever been. I had cancer 5 years ago (age 37) and all the meds made me gain weight. I'm still on meds related to this and will be for at least another 5 years. Therefore, weight loss is not that easy. I eat sensibly and exercise, but seem to stay at the same weight?
Any help or advice is appreciated X

Reactions: Freema
M

mist

My cancer meds made me lose weight! I looked like a skeleton..lol..

Well, if you want to lose weight, nothing beats swimming in my opinion, it's great cardio :)

Just swim like there's no tomorrow and the weight will come off..

Reactions: Freema

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I'm newly diagnosed. I saw the dietician today who said I'd benefit from losing a few pounds. I'm 5ft 7 and weigh 12.3. It's the heaviest I've ever been. I had cancer 5 years ago (age 37) and all the meds made me gain weight. I'm still on meds related to this and will be for at least another 5 years. Therefore, weight loss is not that easy. I eat sensibly and exercise, but seem to stay at the same weight?
Any help or advice is appreciated X

Are you newly diagnosed type 1? It's fairly unusual to be gaining weight and diagnosed type 1, but don't know whether there would be some medications that would stop the weight loss usually associated with a type 1 diagnosis?

What medications are you on? Steroids can cause weight gain (and there is steroid induced type 2 diabetes) some hormone therapies can cause weight gain and might do funny things to your insulin sensitivity too.

Did the dietician give any advice on how to loose weight? I would have thought that was sort of their main job! So if you didn't get any constructive advice from the dietician, maybe worth going back for more input from the dietician.