Loss of Appetite

ninja

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I am on Metformin 500mg twice a day and have been for nearly two months. The main side effect I am having is a total lack of appetite, I appreciate I need to lose weight and have been eating far too much but now I have gone to the other extreme. I neither wanted nor did I eat my Christmas dinner and since taking Metformin I have a strong aversion to most vegetables which I appreciate I should be eating. Obviously as a result of this I am losing weight but I am worried because I am eating very little. If I do eat I have the odd apple or small amounts of brown rice or pasta and the odd piece of 70% cocoa chocolate, salads and veg are a real no go with me whereas prior to Metformin I used to eat mountains of them. Is there anything else my doctor could prescribe me as I am going to make an appointment with him after festive season.
Merry Christmas to you all.

Cheers
John

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Beetroot, Cucumber, Radish, Prawns - and arrogant people that have no understanding of how ill you can really be without looking ill
Hiya Ninja - I was diagnosed in October with T2 Diabetes, and was prescribed 3 x 500mg Metformin per day, and quite recently i've lost my appetite as well. Ive now changed to Metformin SR and 4 x 500 mg per day and things are improving slightly. As for the weight loss, it's still coming off me quite well and i'm now down to 14st 13 lbs, was over 18 this time last year, and this also has made a difference to my appetite.

It willget better mate, might be a good idea to go see the doc about Metformin SR as Katharine has suggested

Jim

ninja

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All

Just been put on slow release metformin instead so will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
John