1. Handy Hint: You can tag users in a post to attract their attention by typing @username - Try tagging Giverny in some posts by using @Giverny

Loss of memory after a hypo

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sparkly, May 26, 2012.

1. Sparkly

Sparkly Member

Hi All,
    I hope everyone is well during this hot spell:)

I'd like to ask if anyone can give me some of their experiences of:
    1) hypo memory loss,
    2) if everyone having a hypo automatically takes their sugar level reading,
    3) if people around them don't notice they are hypo,
    4) if anyone gets hypos after changes in medicines

So, I'd appreciate the general opinion of the forum as to hypo experiences?

I am so pleased to be able to ask other diabetics their experiences, as it can be quite isolating when something bizzare happens.
    Thankyou,
    Sx
  2. phoenix

phoenix Forum Regular

I think as with diabetes itself there can be many different experiences of hyps.
    For myself I still seem to function quite well with low glucose levels but become introverted.
    No, I don't always test . I sometimes treat on symptoms. I will test if uncertain.
    MY husband sometimes notices hypos before me; but then we're close, not merely colleagues. I have been totally aware of a hypo and tried to 'get away' from others who have carried on talking to me. Others haven't noticed a problem. (and I don't publicise it either)
    I've had no particular problem after vaccinations, have had one for swine flu and a complete new course of combined tetanus/diphtheria /polio in recent years.
  3. noblehead

noblehead Forum Regular

Here goes Sparkly:

1) I don't experience memory loss but like you can still perform certain tasks quite well.

2) I tend to treat the hypo first before anything else, I did use to check but trust my hypo awareness more now.

3) The only give away is when I'm throwing jelly babies down my neck.

4) Not noticed and if anything I would expect my bg to increase rather than fall.
  4. Sparkly

Sparkly Member

I also found that the FDA has also changed the labels on statins as they can cause memory loss and confusion...so maybe it wasn't just a low sugar level that caused the memory loss and document confusion.
  5. Scoop4

Scoop4 Member

Yes I have had memory loss it was after a visit to the dentist who had given me an injection for a filling don't remember getting the filing or getting home nobody noticed I was hypo or strange the receptionist did ring my home but only because I hadn't paid for the treatment. I asked them when I went to pay if I looked strange or not able to communicate they said nothing looked unusual. I managed to sign my name on the documents and my writing looked fine. I have had other attacks where I have gone shopping bought everything I needed but have no memory. I do suffer with hypoglycaemia I have symptoms but if I take my glucose straight away I still go unconscious. I don't always take my blood sugars especially if I am busy or preoccupied I try to rely on my symptoms. If I am unwell I suffer hypos my nurse thinks its strange as the books say your sugars are suppose to go high what some of the medical profession don't understand we are individuals and not all of us fit into what they say a diabetic should go through. I have stopped describing my experiences and try not to get up set when they look at you strangely. Hope you can convince your employer remember this medical professional has probably not suffered a hypo in his life.
  6. Sparkly

Sparkly Member

Thankyou to all those who have sent me private messages about their experiences of these particular aspects of hypo behaviour and about how their employers dealt with this. I am boyed by the fact that everyone so far has won their case and that their employers dealt with it far better than mine have done. It's nice to know that others have experienced the same things and it bodes very well for any legal proceedings. Thanks for the advice and pointers too by those who also know of those that have won too.
    Sx