Lost 118 lbs, kept it off for over 3 years, off diabetes meds, A1C 5.0

CRPetersen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've lost 118 lbs, kept if off for over 3 years, I'm off medication for diabetes, my last A1C was 5.0. My last blood tests were all within the normal range at the last blood draw.
A friend recently commented that it was all ingrained in me now and I didn't have to worry about it any more. Quite to the contrary. I'm like a recovering alcoholic who has to be constantly vigilant.
My son did a short video of my weight loss which you can see here: http://quickhealthymealsonabudget.blogspot.com/2015/07/my-weight-loss-not-so-incredible.html
The same site has all the recipes I use as well. Most of the meals are very inexpensive, quick, and easy.
Glad to answer any questions or help if I can either on this page or my page.
CR Petersen

Reactions: 8 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done @CRPetersen

Congrats on your weight loss!

You look really well and very strong minded to get off the meds, well done!

I am always interested in different ways to get in control of my lifestyle.

However, a lot of your recipes are concentrated with too much fructose and would rocket my blood glucose levels.

But each to his own, have a read around, especially the low carb forum. There are some recipes and ideas that control your blood glucose levels really well.

Good read though!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
well done sir !!!!! :)

CRPetersen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @CRPetersen

Congrats on your weight loss!

You look really well and very strong minded to get off the meds, well done!

I am always interested in different ways to get in control of my lifestyle.

However, a lot of your recipes are concentrated with too much fructose and would rocket my blood glucose levels.

But each to his own, have a read around, especially the low carb forum. There are some recipes and ideas that control your blood glucose levels really well.

Good read though!

CRPetersen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was initially concerned about that too, but the complex carbs seem to mitigate the problem.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was initially concerned about that too, but the complex carbs seem to mitigate the problem.

Complex carbs are the same as other low GI carbs or even high GI carbs, but act a little bit slower to turn into sugar or glucose, which because of insulin resistance, makes your liver and pancreas works harder to mitigate.

I am allergic to carbs, complex, low GI, or high GI! No matter what label you put on them, they are carbs! And they turn to sugar in your blood!

But as your resistance has lowered you probably can cope with the concentrations you are taking!

Wish you well! And keep up the good weight loss!

Do you have a blood glucose monitor?

CRPetersen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do but no longer use it because I have been so consistent for so long. When I had full blown diabetes I could tell pretty easily when I was off and the monitor would confirm what I was feeling.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on all counts. However you achieved it and then maintained it you should be very, very proud. Congratualtions. :)

CRPetersen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In thinking about it a little more, it may easily be that the total combination, to include the protein may be the reason I never had problems with spiking, even in the beginning. For me at least, I also have found a world of difference between complex and simple carbs. Eating old fashioned rolled oats produces very different results from eating white bread or pastry. Yes, I know, the pastry is likely to have sugar, but it's the same for any simple carb. I don't get the reaction any longer because of the reduced weight, but when I was morbidly obese, the difference was almost immediate.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The less visceral fat that surrounds your endocrine system and organs, helps with insulin production. I believe the less you carry the more the body can balance output with intake.
It also helps with the glucose, glycogen balance in your bloodstream..

CRPetersen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had undiagnosed hypoglycemia for years, including while in college. When it was bad, I was really bad. Absolutely no fun. I feel for you.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had undiagnosed hypoglycemia for years, including while in college. When it was bad, I was really bad. Absolutely no fun. I feel for you.
Thanks, but not needed! I'm in control, in ketosis, so my bloods are never above 6mmols!
I haven't had a hypo since my latest OGTT!
The hypo hell, now has me so strong minded and bloody minded, that there is no way in hell, I would want to return to it!

Did your hypoglycaemia turn into T2, or are you still getting the odd episode if you eat too many carbs?

You may be interested in the ' reactive Hypoglycaemia' thread, in the ' Ask a question' forum.

Also you could read my blog 'a reactionary' go to the top of the page, click on blogs, click search, type, a reactionary. It should appear.

Wish I could the link tech thingimybob!

CRPetersen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went for years in college without knowing I had it. It turned to prediabetes and then diabetes. I no longer have any reaction to simple carbs but it is rare when I eat them. One of the things I could always eat was rolled oats. Not the quick oats but the old fashioned rolled oats. As mentioned, it is rare that I have any sugar or simple carbs. A couple weeks ago I had something with quite a bit of sugar on accident. Two years ago even I would have had a terrible reaction. I did not have a reaction to this, at least one I could notice. That doesn't change anything though. I still consider sugar, corn syrup, and simple carbs, poison...as well as a lot of other foods with chemicals.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I certainly don't want to go down and back to being diabetic, misdiagnosed as T2, I'm happy as I am!

I am so careful now and others eating chips and other sugary things just don't bother me, (much!)

Maybe one day eh!

I'm so full of energy and life, why should I?