Lost my Mojo, Help

ticker63

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I went to the doctors in March and had a reading of 48mmol/mol. I told my daughter who is type 1 and she gave me guidelines to bring it down, Good eating, exercise, low carb diet, regular testing. It worked wonderfully at first. Next reading at doctors was 41, then my stress levels increased (extended family issues and a lot of travelling) and to be honest I have just about reverted back to type, where I feel "safe" I know I need to get back to the good advice, but, well, I am 64, stressed and worst of all, being to type, i.e. a grumpy old man, probably angry at everything and anything, and not fun to be around! HELP Where do I start, and more importantly how do I "stay on the horse!"

Reactions: coxymk2

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You're here so you obviously want to get 'back on' so that's the first step done!
When I've fallen off literally (I horse ride) and with diabetes I try to stop thinking about what went wrong and just work on improving things a day at a time until I'm back on track.
Easier said than done I know but just take that first step
Good luck

Frances

ticker63

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
You're here so you obviously want to get 'back on' so that's the first step done!
When I've fallen off literally (I horse ride) and with diabetes I try to stop thinking about what went wrong and just work on improving things a day at a time until I'm back on track.
Easier said than done I know but just take that first step
Good luck

Frances
Thank you, sometimes when the darkness sets in and you feel all alone, you feel that it is just you against the world, it not that no body cares, more that nobody knows. I suppose as you say expressing myself is the first step, I remember the old Chinese phase, a journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step. Well I have taken the first step, now it is time for the next. Thank You, blood test coming up!

Reactions: coxymk2

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi there , Read around all the threads in here and others here you will get motivated and back to what you want , lots of support. You can do it---- lets go start reading.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ticker63 hello! How are you this morning? Have you taken your blood and tested it today? Have you posted it on the threads? You know you can do this as you've done it once before. We all have times when we bury our heads in the sand and try to ignore the problem but we've just got to declare our holiday over and get back on with doing the right thing. Your fine. Let us know what you've done today to step in the right direction. :)

S

Sean01

I went to the doctors in March and had a reading of 48mmol/mol. I told my daughter who is type 1 and she gave me guidelines to bring it down, Good eating, exercise, low carb diet, regular testing. It worked wonderfully at first. Next reading at doctors was 41, then my stress levels increased (extended family issues and a lot of travelling) and to be honest I have just about reverted back to type, where I feel "safe" I know I need to get back to the good advice, but, well, I am 64, stressed and worst of all, being to type, i.e. a grumpy old man, probably angry at everything and anything, and not fun to be around! HELP Where do I start, and more importantly how do I "stay on the horse!"
The following might help - I have lived a life of reboots, restarts and generally learning to get back on the horse - I also had to learn to walk from scratch three times - and each time I came back better - that's the trick

You have drawn a line in the sand by putting up this post. That's a fantastic start. A large part of the battle is realising you have a battle to fight.

You know your weakness (grumpy old man). fair enough - let's use it.

You are angry at everything - I'll assume that's because things are not the way you want and you are no fun to be around (your words) so lets use these two points constructively.

You need to take long walks, proper long walks, ( I assume your health permits) not just down to the news agent, but proper long walks - get out for an hour or so and build it from there (make sure there's a treat at the end of the walk (the half way bit actually, before you turn and head for home. use the time to clear your head and set about solving the world's problems - I do, honestly. I'm a few years younger but things are not quite how I would have them be - so I use the walking time to think things through and walking - it's solitary - you sound like you need your space

and it's a great bit of 'Me' time.

Now the clever bit.

If you set out for your first long walk and it doesn't go according to plan, the whole thing will fail.

Start with a shorter walk, but each day make a conscious decision to go that little bit further/longer and build up - see where it takes you. (My last injury took me from three years on crutches to learning to walk again and then doing the Loch Ness Marathon - objective achieved..

Keep a very basic diary - time, distance covered and for a bit of fun - list the problems you want to sort out - you can always start with Kim and Trump's pi**ing contest, or you could start off with something smaller - have fun with it.

Also - and here's the big one - you are not alone, We all have family issues to one degree or another and trust me, stress is everywhere - your's might be down to different reasons but its all there - I deal with mine by walking. I've spent 6 hours on a treadmill on a Sunday morning and on occasion, I will just get out of the passenger door in the car and just walk home - I don't care where I am. Recently, my wife has learned to stop the car so I can get out safely and sometimes I have to get out the house so quickly, I don't even stop to put anything on my feet. - so we all have stress!

I hope this helps. I hope it made you grin a bit and I hope it has given you some ideas, but mostly, that it has given you hope and ideas.

PS. in a previous sporting life I was a national level junior, my nickname was Phoenix - and trust me I came back from the ashes. Coming back from the ashes is what I do.

T2 Oct 15, met time release, diet and a daft amount of exercise

woldsway

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The following might help - I have lived a life of reboots, restarts and generally learning to get back on the horse - I also had to learn to walk from scratch three times - and each time I came back better - that's the trick

You have drawn a line in the sand by putting up this post. That's a fantastic start. A large part of the battle is realising you have a battle to fight.

You know your weakness (grumpy old man). fair enough - let's use it.

You are angry at everything - I'll assume that's because things are not the way you want and you are no fun to be around (your words) so lets use these two points constructively.

You need to take long walks, proper long walks, ( I assume your health permits) not just down to the news agent, but proper long walks - get out for an hour or so and build it from there (make sure there's a treat at the end of the walk (the half way bit actually, before you turn and head for home. use the time to clear your head and set about solving the world's problems - I do, honestly. I'm a few years younger but things are not quite how I would have them be - so I use the walking time to think things through and walking - it's solitary - you sound like you need your space

and it's a great bit of 'Me' time.

Now the clever bit.

If you set out for your first long walk and it doesn't go according to plan, the whole thing will fail.

Start with a shorter walk, but each day make a conscious decision to go that little bit further/longer and build up - see where it takes you. (My last injury took me from three years on crutches to learning to walk again and then doing the Loch Ness Marathon - objective achieved..

Keep a very basic diary - time, distance covered and for a bit of fun - list the problems you want to sort out - you can always start with Kim and Trump's pi**ing contest, or you could start off with something smaller - have fun with it.

Also - and here's the big one - you are not alone, We all have family issues to one degree or another and trust me, stress is everywhere - your's might be down to different reasons but its all there - I deal with mine by walking. I've spent 6 hours on a treadmill on a Sunday morning and on occasion, I will just get out of the passenger door in the car and just walk home - I don't care where I am. Recently, my wife has learned to stop the car so I can get out safely and sometimes I have to get out the house so quickly, I don't even stop to put anything on my feet. - so we all have stress!

I hope this helps. I hope it made you grin a bit and I hope it has given you some ideas, but mostly, that it has given you hope and ideas.

PS. in a previous sporting life I was a national level junior, my nickname was Phoenix - and trust me I came back from the ashes. Coming back from the ashes is what I do.

T2 Oct 15, met time release, diet and a daft amount of exercise

woldsway

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That is the most motivating thing I have read (for me, personally) I've been lurking on here for months and have read some inspiring stuff, learned a lot from some very wise people and have wanted to join in for ages and not known where to start. I'm very depressed right now and have certainly lost faith in myself. Diagnosed type 2 10 years ago and to cut a long story short am now on insulin, humulin I, taken nightly and glictazide x 4 daily. I have fallen of the wagon and eating rubbish again and not exercising. Maybe I should go on my own for a walk and see what happens. I really need to do something before its too late.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ticker63 and @woldsway how are things today? Any walking so far? My thing has been swimming! I learned to swim as a child and had over the years enjoyed an odd swim when possible. As I retired I was diagnosed with a form of angina and soon after with type 2 diabetes. I needed to exercise and to lose weight but I also was aware that I did not want to suddenly start exercising in a gym as I did not know if this would trigger the angina. I started swimming as often as possible , 3 or 4 hours a week , sometimes more. It's amazing how you can solve problems as you inhabit your own world in the water. Let us know how things are going.

Reactions: ickihun
S

Sean01

@ticker63 and @woldsway how are things today? Any walking so far? My thing has been swimming! I learned to swim as a child and had over the years enjoyed an odd swim when possible. As I retired I was diagnosed with a form of angina and soon after with type 2 diabetes. I needed to exercise and to lose weight but I also was aware that I did not want to suddenly start exercising in a gym as I did not know if this would trigger the angina. I started swimming as often as possible , 3 or 4 hours a week , sometimes more. It's amazing how you can solve problems as you inhabit your own world in the water. Let us know how things are going.
Absolutely - swimming works brilliantly especially if weight on the joints is an issue. Unfortunately for me having been a swimmer, water polo player and life guard in my younger days, I find it almost impossible to swim more than a few lengths - I lift weights and walk every day, 2-3 times a day, but I lost practice. Mind you, I could walk around a pool all day long - but not the same thing.
Good luck with the swimming

woldsway

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for taking an interest. Yes, I bit the bullet and went for a shortish walk and took a lot of deep breaths. I realise that I do a lot of rushing around after other people and also work three days a week (I'm 65 ) my 14 year old grandson lives with my husband and I also after my daughter died.
I enjoyed my walk and intend to fit one in every day, although a bit achy now! I will update tomorrow, am hoping this time by myself will help. Thanks again

S

Sean01

Thank you for taking an interest. Yes, I bit the bullet and went for a shortish walk and took a lot of deep breaths. I realise that I do a lot of rushing around after other people and also work three days a week (I'm 65 ) my 14 year old grandson lives with my husband and I also after my daughter died.
I enjoyed my walk and intend to fit one in every day, although a bit achy now! I will update tomorrow, am hoping this time by myself will help. Thanks again
Good to hear. Please let us know how it goes and trust me, you will set a great example that will help others

woldsway

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I managed two walks today, I'm lucky to live in the countryside so I did twice as much than yesterday, actually stopped and 'looked' if you know what I mean and took my time to soak in the surroundings, such a little thing but I was in a better mood when back home. Of course it helped being a lovely sunny day. My lower back and hip are a bit tender now tho! I hope I can keep this up and go a little further every few days. My blood sugars are still high and I'm extra hungry as only had chicken and salad for tea, not very good at the diet bit.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oh yes! Walking will make you hungry, but that is not a bad thing. It's a good sign you are using those muscles. Make sure you are getting enough healthy fats to give you the energy, if, as a diabetic, you aren't getting it from carbs. Nuts, eggs, dairy if you can tolerate it. And of course - the protein. Yummy meat and fish! Baked goods made from nut flours and nuts and seeds with lots of butter - that kind of thing. I say this as a big walker - not as much as Sean01 though. But loved reading how walking contributes to his quality of life. And that you are taking it up. Especially as you live in the country - well done!

woldsway

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yes! Walking will make you hungry, but that is not a bad thing. It's a good sign you are using those muscles. Make sure you are getting enough healthy fats to give you the energy, if, as a diabetic, you aren't getting it from carbs. Nuts, eggs, dairy if you can tolerate it. And of course - the protein. Yummy meat and fish! Baked goods made from nut flours and nuts and seeds with lots of butter - that kind of thing. I say this as a big walker - not as much as Sean01 though. But loved reading how walking contributes to his quality of life. And that you are taking it up. Especially as you live in the country - well done!
Thanks. Need all the encouragement I can get. I love nuts and seeds, think my downfall is peanut butter on burgen linseed bread toasted on a morning, if I dont eat something like this, the tablets upset my stomach. Thanks again for your post, I will try to adapt my diet too.

Reactions: Sean01
S

Sean01

Well I managed two walks today, I'm lucky to live in the countryside so I did twice as much than yesterday, actually stopped and 'looked' if you know what I mean and took my time to soak in the surroundings, such a little thing but I was in a better mood when back home. Of course it helped being a lovely sunny day. My lower back and hip are a bit tender now tho! I hope I can keep this up and go a little further every few days. My blood sugars are still high and I'm extra hungry as only had chicken and salad for tea, not very good at the diet bit.
Small steps - it will come together, and the hip and back pain will soon be a thing of the past. Don't stop!

woldsway

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been for one walk today and took the dog, very peaceful and enjoyable, can't really say how far but not bothered about that yet. At work all day tomorrow so will have to try after tea but have my doubts! Still aching though but I call it the fruits of my labour.